Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I'm so tired of black or grey (and their variants)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm so tired of black or grey (and their variants)

Gang,

This is just a rant. Feel free to ignore.

Anyway, just for S&Gs, I did a search last night on Porsche.com for an 03 or 04 996 Turbo Coupe. No other restrictions. I got about 8 pages of results. The VAST majority of the cars were gray/silver or black. A couple of Guard's Red. No Speed Yellow. No Arena Red. One White.

There's nothing wrong with black or grey but I'm just tired of those colors. They just don't excite me anymore. Now that I think of it, I've only ever seen ONE 996 Turbo in Speed Yellow. I wonder why they're so rare?

-Charles
Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Charles, couldn't agree any more. I too am looking for a color that WOW'S me when I buy my GT3. I currently have a 996C2 that is arena red and love the color.

FYI....went on a local PCA chapter lighthouse tour this past weekend with about 20 p-cars and one was a SY Turbo. Pic attached for your viewing enjoyment
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Charles - I agree totally. When I was looking for my 996 there were 9 ga-zillion black/silver/gray cars. I also decided I didn't want black interior, and many times when I found a car with the exterior color I liked, it would have... you guessed it... BLACK interior. I passed on 3 or 4 Midnight Blue cars I really liked because of the black interior.

After 4 months or searching I found the car I currently have, Lapis Blue with Graphite Gray interior and deviating Metropol Blue carpet. I have only seen two other cars on the 'net with this interior combo, so I think it is "relatively" uncommon.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:37 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I lucked out when I started looking for a 986/996: I also thought silver and black were too common, but one of the first cars I found was midnight blue with a natural brown interior. I love it dearly!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What you got against black man it is a great color. Except I will never have another one. too much trouble.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We had a speed yellow on our lot at the Porsche Center San Antonio. When I first saw it, I thought, that thing is going to be gone tomorrow. It lasted like 2 months, I couldnt believe it. The price was decent from what I remember.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

same here -i have black, looks amazing when clean, but thats about it. My next one will likely be red or blue...
Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on what you want (and to a certain degree where you live). As former owner of a Speed Yellow 993 with Gray interior (in an area with few Porsche), I would never have a Speed Yellow car as a daily driver, not to mention a Porsche. Way to much attention for my liking. My 993 wasn't even daily driven, but I was always getting comments like I saw you X.... My daily driven Artic Silver 996 now blends and I get very few if any comments about seeing me out and about and I love it. My next Porsche will be Black or Dark Gray. Porsches get enough attention in the midwest and I don't need yellow or red screaming "hey look at me."

As for interior, my biggest complaint with non-black interiors in a Porsche is that if you get a gray, beige, brown, etc. interior you get the same color dash (unless you spend big bucks to get the full leather and bi-color) and I don't like non black colored dashes. I never warmed up to the Gray dash on my 993.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Grey & Black were very popular colors - not just for cars - the last 10 years or so. You will start to see more colors going forward.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Default All good points!

Yea, I totally agree with all of you. Black is spectacular. For all of about 15 minutes after you finish detailing it. I can say that because my first Boxster was black.

Anyway, I even did an eBay search a little while ago. 2003 or 2004 911 Turbo with a Manual Transmission. No other qualifications.

I couldn't find even ONE in Guards Red or Speed Yellow that wasn't also a cabriolet. (I want a coupe).

I'm probably going to have to give in and find a dark grey one. On the upside, there should be plenty of them to pick from.

-Charles
Old 11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
WERA 371
Advanced

I work for a company that manufactures exterior, architectural coatings (paint) for curtain wall and panel systems. Our industry seems to trend after OEM automotive. Our mica and metallic based products (silver) are easily 30% of our sales. A significant number. Silver anodize is very popular in window and door systems. Remember back in the early nineties when the metallic teal was big? Then white pearl? It was so too in architectural, subsequently. Colors seem to make swings in popularity every five to seven years.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Go white, yellow or red

- awesome looking cars, low maintenance paintwork, (white hides imperfections surprising well and always looks nice, but I'm biased), easy touchup and not everyone and their dog has those colors....

I too was unimpressed by how difficult it was to find a none blk/silver/grey car.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
same here -i have black, looks amazing when clean, but thats about it. My next one will likely be red or blue...

I agree. And this post is depressing me - hopefully there are still some lovers of black out there when I sell my car (to get into a C4S or TT - not black...)
Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
After 4 months or searching I found the car I currently have, Lapis Blue with Graphite Gray interior and deviating Metropol Blue carpet. I have only seen two other cars on the 'net with this interior combo, so I think it is "relatively" uncommon.
I agree. I didn't want silver or black. Luckily I found a Lapis Blue with a Metropol Blue interior and I love it.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bet
As for interior, my biggest complaint with non-black interiors in a Porsche is that if you get a gray, beige, brown, etc. interior you get the same color dash (unless you spend big bucks to get the full leather and bi-color) and I don't like non black colored dashes. I never warmed up to the Gray dash on my 993.
I agree. Before buying my car, I test drove a Lapis Blue with Beige interior and couldn't get past the Beige dash and steering wheel, so I passed.

Quick Reply: I'm so tired of black or grey (and their variants)