996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bought 1st Porsche - 99 C2 - Thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bought 1st Porsche - 99 C2 - Thoughts ?

Hoping I did ok on my first purchase. Have a couple of issues I'll get to later
but overall this car was loaded.

Any thoughts on how I did - the mileage had me slightly concerned but decided to do it as the car felt strong. Paid $30,500 plus $1500 for 1 yr extended wty from CNA - plus the dealer threw in new rear rubber (AVS's) and repainted the front spoiler. When I took delivery there was a problem with 2nd but it was taken care of under warranty - they replaced 2nd gear.

Metallic Grey/Black, custom factory paint, Digital Hi-Fi Sound, 18" Turbo Look Wheels, Optional 3 spoke Steering wheel (yellow stiching) plus a full supple leather interior, including dash, trim and headliner. Both front seats are comfort power seats and the drivers seat has positrol and lumbar support with memory.

Got the original invoice ($81,030) from the dealer which had the following dealer options written on it as well:

Aero package
Fabspeed Stainlee exhaust
Cold air intake
Short Throw Shifter
Litronix
Yellow Calipers
Color coded rear window visor and bumperettes
Aluminum Pedals
HK w/ Navigation

I replaced the clutch at that time and repleaced 2 O2 sensors b/c the CEL was goping on - unfoprtunately it still is - should I replace the other 2 ? That's what the codes suggest.

Anyway, the car has no rattles, no dings, some minor scratches here and there, drives beautifully.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Its absolutely gorgeous!!!!! It also looks to have the carbon fiber-aluminum gear shifter/e-brake.

How many miles? For that price, I can't imagine it being anything but a great deal no matter HOW many miles it has, granted it's in good mechanic shape.

Congrats and welcome to rennlist!!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
waynesworld
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice - congrats!

I would look into the MAF sensor before replacing the O2 sensors... many posts here on the subject.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks - was somewhat nervous about the miles but when I saw this car, it was over in a minute.

Hate driving with the CLE on. Bought the Durametric diagnostic to pull the codes - in the morning - but last time I cleared them they cam back with the )2's again. I'll check about MAF.

Also, the fabspeed seems to create a lot of reverberance in the cockpit - I guess I just need to get used to it. Took the wife to Newport RI - great drive.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 AM
rbjbbb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweeeet ride!

Yeah, a few bugs, but I am sure you will love it. I bought my '00 a couple years back and still get that 'p' car sensation every time I drive it.

Couple things to watch for and/or have checked during your extended would be...

1. Coolant expansion tank and the expansion tank cap. My tank had a slight crack - never leaked on the garage floor but I caught a wiff of coolant now and then after a drive. Had mine fixed under extended. I hear this is quite common.
2. Quirky ignition switch - if you ever have lights not go out or radio stay on (longer than a few minutes) after key removal, then you have the typical switch problem. Only about a $30 part. I am buying one soon, as a reserve. I have had one event of a dead battery over the 2 years of ownership, but it seems tempermental on mine lately.
Oh yeah, get an alignment pretty soon, mine was waaay out. Before you eat up those new shoes.

RB
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Very nice looking car. I don't think I have ever seen that front splitter on a P-car before.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the front splitter doesn't look like Porsche OEM, I dont think it was part of the actual porsche aero,so maybe that was switched out. Also it looks like you have alum gauge rings, and it looks like possibly supple leather..............
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FOR YOUR CEL, your probaly seeing faults for o2 sensor adaptaion out of range, what you need to lok at ios the fuel trim, if the trim indcates a rich mixture then likely you will need a new maf, if it indicates a lean mixture you have a vacum leak, either will throw faults for o2 adaptaion
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks all for the warm welcome. To answer a few questions - The leather is supple all around and it does have the carbon **** and brake as well as the aluminum rings. I'm looking for the aluminum piece that goes around the warning lights to finish off the look. I'm the 3rd owner and it has 64k on it.

Not sure if the front aero is OEM. The side skirts and rear GT2 wings seem to be.

I'm going to try cleaning the MAF today and see if that helps with the CEL.

There are a few issues that bother me and I need to fix - open to suggestions -

1. The windshield is really bad when the sun glares on it. I think I should replace it since I love a clean look but don't want to start any problems.

2. The left side dash lights are out and my mechanic tried to replace the bulbs but it didn't work - we decided to leave it for next time since I was in a rush.

3. Sometimes there is a burning smell after a good run. Can't find anything leaking. Could it be the new clutch breaking in ?

4. my key fob doesn't seem to work very well. Needs to be line of sight and only within about 5 feet. I chnaged the battery but it didn't make a difference. What distanc e does your work at ? Do you have to hold the button down for a few seconds ?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Ramp
Pro

99 Firehawk - The codes do read o2 sensor adaptaion out of range - lean mixture. Not sure what you mean by "fuel trim"

Also, how would I find a vac leak without the dealer -I'm not adverse to my dealer but it means a day or 2 in the shop and it's a drive for me. - although I'm looking for a service place on the south shore of Long Island
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What codes are you getting?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every scan tool displays the faults difrent, You need to check the actual values for fuel trim/adpatation/fra.....tra however you scan tool displays them to see if its running rich or runnling lean.

If it is lean you need to check for leaks, common ones are the oil sperator bellows. loose oil fill cap, cracked oil fill tube. vacum canister
Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Ramp
Pro

Here are the codes
P1130 and P1128 - Oxygen sensing adaptation - lean
P1125 and P1123 - Oxygen sensing adaptation - rich

Does anyone know where to buy the torx head I need to remove the MAF ?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
Here are the codes
P1130 and P1128 - Oxygen sensing adaptation - lean
P1125 and P1123 - Oxygen sensing adaptation - rich

Does anyone know where to buy the torx head I need to remove the MAF ?

Thanks

Using your scanner, take a reading of the MAF. Airflow values at idle as well as intake temperature at idle. I would also try the simple things first. Remove electrical connection from MAF, spray with electronic cleaner (both MAF and Cable contacts, ant reseat connector. Vacuum reading at idle?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks - Do you know where I can get the torx to remove the maf ?

Quick Reply: Bought 1st Porsche - 99 C2 - Thoughts ?