Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Service wants to replace rotors with each pad change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service wants to replace rotors with each pad change?

Just took my 996 in for it's 48K km service and they called me to advise a front pad change. They also told me they wanted to put in new rotors so the pads bed properly? WTF? Is this common practice or is this a cash grab at $1000? Rotors are not cracked or warped. Anyone with any insight?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just change the pads if the discs are not cracked or warped and break the new pads in properly.

Take the car out and get to an area where you can accelerate and brake repeatedly. Get the car up to 50 or so and then evenly apply the brakes until almost stopped. DO NOT keep you foot on the brake pedal when you are stopped (unless you HAVE to). Repeat several times, inceasing the pressure you apply to the brake pedal. A couple of hard braking applications will complete the break in. Now enjoy the car.

You can also drive the car while applying the barkes lightly while driving. Keep doing this for several miles increasing the pressure to the pedal. The idea is to get the brakes hot and seated without letting the pads sit still against the rotor. No further break in is necessary.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee from Toronto
Just took my 996 in for it's 48K km service and they called me to advise a front pad change. They also told me they wanted to put in new rotors so the pads bed properly? WTF? Is this common practice or is this a cash grab at $1000? Rotors are not cracked or warped. Anyone with any insight?
Have they been measured and found to be below minimum allowable width?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Service advisor made no mention of the width of the rotor, he said it was common practice to change the rotor out with each pad change...
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Service advisor made no mention of the width of the rotor, he said it was common practice to change the rotor out with each pad change...
Without looking yourself, it is impossible to know if the dealer is legit or not. Your PADS might not even need replacing. Common for dealers to use scare tactics to generated business. So, either you trust the dealer, or check it out yourself. It is extremely unlikely that the rotors are even close to minimum thickness at 48,000 km and without tracking, I am sure the pads are fine too unless you really abuse your brakes.

You can always wait for the brake wear sensors to tell you that the brakes need replacing.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would wait too till the light came on but the dealer should call you and tell you they may be close to that point. with a 15k mile service interval the warning lamp may come on in 5k miles and the customer may come in and throw a fit becuase " I was just here for a maitanence and you guys didnt notice my brakes were worn"
Old 09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

I asked that the pads be changed but not the rotors.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Even if they do need changing, it's an easy DIY that will cost you lots less. I just had my 48K done and neither pads or rotors needed replacement. When my pads (and or rotors) do go, I'll do it myself.
BTW: which dealer, Pfaff or DFC?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Front rotors and pads are $330 for the set.

I've been driving a 996 since early 2001, and every time I bring my car in for the major service they want to change my rotors, I'd be $6,000 in the hole if I did that.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Lee,
Their reasoning is not correct. I would go down there and take a look for yourself. You said you asked for the pads to be replaced, why? Are the rotors scored?
The mileage is irrelevant it's how the brakes have been used in the posted mileage that counts. You do not need to track a Porsche to wear out the brakes quickly.
Based on your posts the argument from the dealer is not sustainable. Pictures might help.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

It was DTFC. I'll take pictures of the rotors when I get the car back this afternoon. I asked for the pads to be changed because they said I was 1mm away from the pad sensor. The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with this dealer's service.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It was DTFC. I'll take pictures of the rotors when I get the car back this afternoon. I asked for the pads to be changed because they said I was 1mm away from the pad sensor. The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with this dealer's service.
Like I stated in my post above, this seems to be common practice for the dealers. They check to see if the rotors have a small lip (not sure what the tolerance is) and see it's against Porsche's recommendations to resurface the rotors they suggest just replacing them.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with this dealer's service.
Lee,
Have they changed the rotors?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Necessary or not, changing rotors seems like the norm these days. In years gone by it used to be that rotors would be turned more or less as a matter of course when changing pads even if that wasn't needed. These days rotors for most cars are cheap enough that it's generally not worth the effort as cast iron is a bugger to work with and the tool gets dull after a rotor or two so the new money spinner is new rotors. That logic doesn't necessarily apply with Porsche prices of course but the same mentality seems to prevail.

Colin
Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Adrian, I've asked them not to change the rotors, just the pads. They told me the car will be ready for pick up this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Service wants to replace rotors with each pad change?