Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Remove/Replace and Paint a quarter panel for 1k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 PM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove/Replace and Paint a quarter panel for 1k?

My car has a small dent in the quarter panel, passenger side, in front of the rear tire. A reputable porsche auto body shop, stuttgart auto body, told me it would be $1k to remove/replace and paint it. That doesn't sound too bad, anyone have any experience on if that is a good price? I plan to get some other estimates from reputable shops.

Is this something that is welded on? Or can they spray it without me there, let it dry and then simply remove / replace it? Or is it something they weld in and then mask off and paint?

Brian
Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

normally they paint either edge of the panels on each side so there is a blend effect and no site of shading, they usually dont take them off, but if they do make sure they blend the other panels, i paid $700 but there was no body work except some sanding for a deep scratch.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
signal
Racer

How much downtime is involved for something like this?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Can it can be fixed by paintless dent removal instead? Much cheaper and doesn't hurt the resale value.

- Ahsai
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, get a good dent removal guy. if it does need body work, bondo is usually used to fill up the hole and painting would not require any panel removal.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by signal
My car has a small dent in the quarter panel, passenger side, in front of the rear tire. A reputable porsche auto body shop, stuttgart auto body, told me it would be $1k to remove/replace and paint it. That doesn't sound too bad, anyone have any experience on if that is a good price? I plan to get some other estimates from reputable shops.

Is this something that is welded on? Or can they spray it without me there, let it dry and then simply remove / replace it? Or is it something they weld in and then mask off and paint?

Brian
I have a small dent on the fender well of mine. Porsche dealership quoted $1500. Exotic car bodyshop quoted $845. PDR won't work on this spot since there is a ridge.

-td
Old 09-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm sure there are cases PDR won't work but based on their photos, it's a pretty darn amazing technique... http://www.denttime.com/gallery/album28

- Ahsai
Old 09-14-2006, 11:00 PM
signal
Racer

PDR is a no go for me on this one, had it checked out.

However, I went to another body shop and they are saying to fix it is 1795.00 (tax, etc, out the door). This is a very good shop, porsche authorized, and they work on some nice cars. The guy tells me this price is to fix it, bang it out, sand/file, get it perfect, and then paint. He claims the quarter panel is $1300 just to buy the part, and that the other body shop that told me remove/replace/paint for $1k has something shady with that because you cant even purchase the panel for that.

This 1795 includes fixing my aero skirt which got a little tweaked too. If its a perfect job I think its a good deal, 3 days downtime. I may have them spray my hood and front spoiler just because those have the most road rash and would probably make a big difference in look.

Brian
Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a candidate for PDR, if that isn't an option and they need to refinish the panel - no way it needs to be replaced due to a dent.

To answer his question, usually the turnaround can be a week assuming all the parts are in.

They remove the affected panel and the adjacent ones if it is neccessary to blend, prep and paint and let it cure, then put the panels back on.

Price seems right at 1k for refinishing/blending 1-3 panels.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by signal
He claims the quarter panel is $1300 just to buy the part, and that the other body shop that told me remove/replace/paint for $1k has something shady with that because you cant even purchase the panel for that.
The MSRP for the right side rear quarter panel (996-503-962-00-GRV) for a MY00 996 is $452.45USD which means the body shop can purchase it for about ~$230USD.

Quick Reply: Remove/Replace and Paint a quarter panel for 1k?