New Cop trick to me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Cop trick to me?

Fellow members, I have been in DC, Baltimore, Wilmington , and Philly areas for the last two weeks. Have you seen this trick yet>............... The cop is parked on the right side of the road with the trunk open=your mind says "breakdown, cruise on", But NO. The trooper is standing to one side of the car with his Lazer gun aimed right at you=No kidding. I saw it multiple times in the last two weeks. When you see a trunk or hood at a distance= SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!! or else it is="what are you gonna do wit all that trunk, all that trunk.......... ... .............get out your wallet!............................." you get the idea!
Steve
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 AM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Fellow members, I have been in DC, Baltimore, Wilmington , and Philly areas for the last two weeks. Have you seen this trick yet>............... The cop is parked on the right side of the road with the trunk open=your mind says "breakdown, cruise on", But NO. The trooper is standing to one side of the car with his Lazer gun aimed right at you=No kidding. I saw it multiple times in the last two weeks. When you see a trunk or hood at a distance= SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!! or else it is="what are you gonna do wit all that trunk, all that trunk.......... ... .............get out your wallet!............................." you get the idea!
Steve
Wow!! It's interesting how cops are in different states...

Chicago suburb-> lots of speed traps...on roads and highways...cops have unmarked Camaros. Heck..there was a speed trap right outside my apartment on a main road...they specifically were targeting the brief period the road speed limit dropped from 45 to 35. Totally scammy!! I almost wanted to put a web-cam on him .

Northern California -> pretty much no speed traps...if a cop happens to see you and follow you..then you get stopped. One place though...highway 17 (twisties like crazy) had a speed trap...typically a copy just sitting at the side of the road.

NJ -> nothing weird...standard waiting on a U-turn lane in the center median. Oh yeah, they leave an unmanned car on the Garden State .

thanks,
Amir
Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very impressed by this one innovative trooper in Maryland. Shortly after the I95 tunnel through Baltimore, there is a little hill where you can't see over. About 2/3 mile down this cop, young guy, stands IN THE LANE and shoots a laser at cars coming over the hill. Keep in mind the cars there are typically going 80mph, so this guy has *****. Its the same guy too, because I was going that way every day for work and would see him. The one time he got me, I asked him all about his technique, etc...Can't be mad at him for doing his job well!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

How about cops doubling up on you….

Flying across the Mojave Desert (near Edwards Air Force Base) coming from Las Vegas. Nobody in site and 20 miles of straight desert Hwy in front, I edged it to 120 mph and see a black dot approaching from the rear,

I slow it down to 75 mph and within 5 min a 933 turbo blows by me doing 125 mph (estimated) and within 2 min of this I see a black dot coming in the opposite direction.

Yes it was a CHP, I see his break lights come on immediately after he whizzes by me in the opposite lane.

He does a u-turn and turns the lights on coming up behind me…I tell the wife he is after the 933, don’t worry.

But noooo he pulls me over, asks for the standard stuff and asks me where I am coming from. I say LV, he asks me how it went there, I say it sucked and if I get a ticket, the weekend was a total loss, then he asked me if I knew how fast I was going, thinking I was screwed at this point I blurted 100 mph. He thanked me for my honesty and said he clocked me at 90 mph.

At that point he closed his ticket book and said slow it down from now on and I replied with “I thought you were after that 933 that blew by me minutes ago????” and he replied “No way I could catch that Porsche, but my partner is waiting 4 miles ahead to nail him”

Sure enough, when I reached that point, the Porsche was stopped and the cop had his ticket book out.

I gave both a “Headlight Flash” and a “Hand Wave” as I passed that Porsche
Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those f..ing cops should start fighting crime!! Instead they sit on their ***...making easy money..by writing speeding tickets!! Go figure....crime is up....people are getting killed left and right....little children molested and go missing....BUT the stupid PIGS....sit on their fat asses...eating donuts and writing traffic tickets!! I hate cops....they are lazy no good wannebe criminals! When you need them they are nowhere to be found!!

Do I sound bitter...you bet......one of those idiots got me speeding....luckily what he makes in a month....fill in the rest!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:22 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I've seen a sheriff's deputy behind on the bed of a sheriff's pickup truck.
It was parked at one end of an overhead bridge among some shrubs.
He was stanced high up on the bed, holding his laser gun, just leaning over the lights on his roof.

I stepped on my brakes as soon as I spotted him...then laughed in disbelief seconds later, still checking him out in my rear view mirror! Damn redneck sherriff deputies!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I guess you can not win here. 1. Speeding although I have done and will continue to do is a violation of the law 2. The best way to catch speeders and even worse red light runners is with blitz cameras which free up police men/ women to fight crimes, but most people here hate them. Here is the problem no body likes the speeding cameras and no body likes tickets but if you fail to try and enforce the law then we will have bigger issues where people feel they can basically do what ever they want. If you do not like certain laws and want them changed then work towards that but do not think someone simply doing their job is somehow less of a person than you because it is that same person who will help you when some other idiot breaking the law hits you. I know I am on my soap box but the vast majority of police men/ women are solid citizens trying to do their job as they are told too by the elected officials you voted for. If you do not like it then make it a political issue and vote.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 AM
chuckla
Racer

Hey livefree, you are not alone. My last ticket, on a two lane road in Bethesda, went something like this; I come out of a gentle turn going about 50mph on a 30mph stretch. I see ahead a truck and a car parked along the road ahead, but it looks like regular business. The car has its trunk up, further distracting me. Bam, lasered. Only my yes sir no sir routine earned me a downgrade to a ticket for 39mph.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

It's not a trick to make you believe they are broken down.

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Steve
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

They used to do the trunk lid up thing here some years ago, then it stopped. I heard that on a couple of occasions some big trucks went by and blew the trunk lid back, trashing it.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Fellow members, I have been in DC, Baltimore, Wilmington , and Philly areas for the last two weeks. Have you seen this trick yet>............... The cop is parked on the right side of the road with the trunk open=your mind says "breakdown, cruise on", But NO.

Another trick that State Troopers use on I - 95 in MD is to drive around in high performance cars. A few years ago when I would drive regularly on I - 95, I'd often see a State Trooper go flying past me in pursuit of a speeder. The local paper interviewed one of the MD State Trooper commanders and he talked about the various unmarked cars in their fleet which included at least five high performance cars and a couple of beat up looking trucks which were modded for high speed pursuit.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:40 AM
pchak
Pro

On my way back from FLA with the car, I saw 3 unmanned cars within a 30 mile stretch. However, on I-95, if you're not doing 80+, everyone blows by you: pickups, beater, even the police!

In Ohio, there are several crappy towns that feel the freeway is a revenue stream for them. This has nothing to do with what roundtreed is talking about. You'll find most people on the side of law and order, but this about revenue enhancement, not safety, or the law. Regardless of the limit, traffic enforcement should be about safety. Go after DUI, reckless op, PEOPLE WHO DON'TUSE THEIR $#$#^! TURN SIGNALS, etc., rather than cars built to handle higher speeds (again, provided the driver is safely managing that speed), especially when they are merely in the stream of traffic.

Changes the laws? Fuggeduhboudit. The ones making the most noise about speed are usually somebody with: a) atrocious driving skills to begin with, b) a barely-safe beater, or c) a soccer mom in a minivan (usually exhibiting "a"). All you have to do is say "it's all about the children", and you're in.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

DC'ers beware - I've seen what must be a '91 Jeep Cherokee pulling people over lately. The Camaros and Impalas are old news, but first time I'd seen such an old car..

Justin
Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
evansaero
Pro

DC to Richmond I-95

Watch out for the 1980's blue mini van. I'm not kidding.

I thought soccer mom, but no it was a state trooper. Good thing he had already pulled some other poor bastard over

My guess is the trooper was a rookie and the other troppers were playing some kind of sick joke
Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Downtown DC - near the tidal basin, I watched a cop who literally stood at a set of lights, pointing the gun down the road as each wave of traffic came through from the previous lights.

Each time he caught one speeding at the front, he waved them to the side and wrote up a ticket.

He didn't even have a cop car at all, he was on foot!

Saw him first thing in the morning, when I arrived to do the tourist thing, and he was still going at lunchtime.

Caaaachinnng! Talk about a license to print money!

Chris.

Quick Reply: New Cop trick to me?