Sponsored by:

New Cop trick to me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
those f..ing cops should start fighting crime!! Instead they sit on their ***...making easy money..by writing speeding tickets!! Go figure....crime is up....people are getting killed left and right....little children molested and go missing....BUT the stupid PIGS....sit on their fat asses...eating donuts and writing traffic tickets!! I hate cops....they are lazy no good wannebe criminals! When you need them they are nowhere to be found!!

Do I sound bitter...you bet......one of those idiots got me speeding....luckily what he makes in a month....fill in the rest!
I understand your bitterness. We have all felt it from time to time. After all, we are members of the "speeding club" and have to pay our dues. I would rather you not blame the police though. When their commander says to perform highway duty, they are doing their job. If they don't write any tickets, then they are being lazy. When I get pulled over, I am courtious and respectful. And not because I am trying to get out of the ticket, it is because the officer is doing a job and I respect that.

If you don't like the system, try to change it. If I were a cop, I would want to do highway duty too. Imagine you are called to a crime. Nothing good can come from it. You could be killed, injured or maybe the criminal has a gun and you shoot him. Now you are on the news, have been suspended and may face criminal charges. I'd just rather write a ticket.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, all of the bitching and moaning from this side of the pond (US) is nothing when you consider what I used to face in the UK as a P-Car driver.

Undercover cars - normal everyday sighting

Fixed speed trap cameras (GATSO)

Located on main roads and in town, with digital cameras and direct connection back to the Police National Computer - ticket in the mail before you even get home!

Traffic light 'red light cameras'

The RLC system is triggered by sensors or ground loops that are cut into road surface as a vehicle passes over them, while a red light is shown.

The Red Light Camera was originally used to measure red light offences. Nowadays the RLC can also be used in combination with speed measurement, and can therefore also record the speed of the offending motorist as well. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera!

Truvelo Speed Cameras

The forward facing Truvelo camera system is designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle. This allows the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well.

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver.

SPECS System

Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, it uses state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of two video cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators, giving the ability to work 24hrs 7days a week.

SPECS are fitted either at the roadside or central reservation a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered.

Mobile Systems

Police across the UK use a variety of mobile and hand devices to catch speeding motorists. These systems include; Mini-Gatso and Teletraffic (laser guns).

Mini-Gatso, the technology used in a Mini-camera unit is very similar to that used within a fixed position Gatso speed camera, using radar type 24 (see above).

They can place this on any road, hidden behind a tree or bridge support, you have no way of knowing where they are!

Teletraffic, police camera teams use this as a vehicle based system which can be set up to detect speeding traffic from a distance of 1000 metres using laser technology. The device is aimed on a vehicle number plate and which is then recorded on video film with the associated speed. This system is generally best for tackling lengths of road, and may be used outside of signed locations.

Speeding here in the US is a breeze compared to the UK!

Chris.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 90% of what you listed in the DC area..

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Of course, all of the bitching and moaning from this side of the pond (US) is nothing when you consider what I used to face in the UK as a P-Car driver.

Undercover cars - normal everyday sighting

Fixed speed trap cameras (GATSO)

Located on main roads and in town, with digital cameras and direct connection back to the Police National Computer - ticket in the mail before you even get home!

Traffic light 'red light cameras'

The RLC system is triggered by sensors or ground loops that are cut into road surface as a vehicle passes over them, while a red light is shown.

The Red Light Camera was originally used to measure red light offences. Nowadays the RLC can also be used in combination with speed measurement, and can therefore also record the speed of the offending motorist as well. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera!

Truvelo Speed Cameras

The forward facing Truvelo camera system is designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle. This allows the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well.

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver.

SPECS System

Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, it uses state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of two video cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators, giving the ability to work 24hrs 7days a week.

SPECS are fitted either at the roadside or central reservation a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered.

Mobile Systems

Police across the UK use a variety of mobile and hand devices to catch speeding motorists. These systems include; Mini-Gatso and Teletraffic (laser guns).

Mini-Gatso, the technology used in a Mini-camera unit is very similar to that used within a fixed position Gatso speed camera, using radar type 24 (see above).

They can place this on any road, hidden behind a tree or bridge support, you have no way of knowing where they are!

Teletraffic, police camera teams use this as a vehicle based system which can be set up to detect speeding traffic from a distance of 1000 metres using laser technology. The device is aimed on a vehicle number plate and which is then recorded on video film with the associated speed. This system is generally best for tackling lengths of road, and may be used outside of signed locations.

Speeding here in the US is a breeze compared to the UK!

Chris.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Cops suck, EF THA PO-PO!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention

DS2

Rubber strips in the road calculate your speed as you pass over them via the small telltale grey post which sits along side. The DS2 system requires a mobile camera usually in a plain truck to plug into this grey post inorder to photograph you.

So any truck at the roadside could be the camera truck!

Automatic Number Plate Reading

Digial cameras positioned on major freeway bridges - read your front plate as you drive under, and compare this with a database of those who have paid the yearly vehicle tax.

If you haven't paid, it automatically generates the fine, and mails it to you.

I think the UK still has the edge for speed taxing the motorist!

Chris.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:50 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In Columbia and just north of the tunnel in Bmore, I have seen, new Charger, Expedition, Explorer, mustang, Trailblazer and Chevy 4 door pickup. They all use the old stand on the side of the road laser trick. They usually sit under bridges in the shade and so you dont notice them.

Originally Posted by justinmm2
DC'ers beware - I've seen what must be a '91 Jeep Cherokee pulling people over lately. The Camaros and Impalas are old news, but first time I'd seen such an old car..

Justin
Old 08-31-2006, 04:25 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Add to most of that a law against radar detectors, $1000 fine plus confiscation, and SPECTER equipped (that's a radar detector detector) provincial police cruisers on the multilane highways, and welcome to Ontario, Canada!

I have to say, though, that around Toronto, the cops exercise their discretion well. They really seem to know the difference between some working stiff who's going 20km/hr over the limit and someone who's a likely street racer or worse, or driving an unfit vehicle, or too young to be out so late. I appreciate the number of times I've seen people pulled over and thought to myself, "Yeah, I would have pulled him over too." Wouldn't want their job.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most coppers are not even looking for speeders on I-95 or other major highways.....they are looking for a reason to stop a vehicle and search it for drugs, guns, illegal midgets, or torn off mattress labels.....whatever you have that you shouldnt. A very high percentage of "drug busts" begin with a simple traffic stop.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

We are using the latter to search for stolen vehicles. They are in every cruiser in one DC suburb.

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Forgot to mention

DS2

Rubber strips in the road calculate your speed as you pass over them via the small telltale grey post which sits along side. The DS2 system requires a mobile camera usually in a plain truck to plug into this grey post inorder to photograph you.

So any truck at the roadside could be the camera truck!

Automatic Number Plate Reading

Digial cameras positioned on major freeway bridges - read your front plate as you drive under, and compare this with a database of those who have paid the yearly vehicle tax.

If you haven't paid, it automatically generates the fine, and mails it to you.

I think the UK still has the edge for speed taxing the motorist!

Chris.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

How about some lucky stories?

Two lane road between towns, doing about 75 or so. As the next town comes up, I start slowing down. Doing about 60, I blow by 45 mph sign by a grove of trees. Behind the trees, you guessed it, a cop with a radar. Cursing my luck, I cruise into town as I see the cop pull out in my rear view mirror. Before he catches up to me or have his lights on, though, a Ford comes up on a cross street and pulls right out behind me, ignoring a stop sign.. Cop puls HIM over, and I go on my way at 45 mph with a deep sigh of thanks and a big smile .
Old 08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I've been pulled over doing over 100mph 2 times. No ticket, no written warning, just a "slow down".

Originally Posted by Palting
How about some lucky stories?

Two lane road between towns, doing about 75 or so. As the next town comes up, I start slowing down. Doing about 60, I blow by 45 mph sign by a grove of trees. Behind the trees, you guessed it, a cop with a radar. Cursing my luck, I cruise into town as I see the cop pull out in my rear view mirror. Before he catches up to me or have his lights on, though, a Ford comes up on a cross street and pulls right out behind me, ignoring a stop sign.. Cop puls HIM over, and I go on my way at 45 mph with a deep sigh of thanks and a big smile .
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I've been pulled over doing over 100mph 2 times. No ticket, no written warning, just a "slow down".
blech - i got written up for honking my horn.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by washington951
I love my horn... feel naked without it.... you can tell I lived in Massachusetts.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:22 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

The Truvelo cameras (take the picture from the front) are fun.
I first encountered them when I was on assignment in Holland.
I always used to wheelie my R1 in front of them. Kind of amusing.
You see the camera go off and know the revenue collection service will be all upset cause I just wasted another good picture
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

My dad did once too, my mom loves to tell that story.

I've been pulled over 33 times 22 of which were just for being me so the two 100mph times are some of my reparations.

Originally Posted by washington951

Quick Reply: New Cop trick to me?