Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car & Driver tests 2001 996TT versus 2002 Corvette Z06--- at roadcourse/dragstrip>

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002 | 03:30 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

WOW, this was a great thread. I actually read through every post. I wonder why it stopped!
Old 01-04-2002 | 03:51 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by adrial:
<STRONG>OK, it's time to make everybody happy...with some lap times from a little track called the Nurburgring.
Notice where the vette is (ok we don't know if it's a z06 or not..but still) Hell the S4 is right behind the vette....And am I the only one that finds it interesting that a 600hp 993TT couldn't beat a stock 996TT? Granted it could be driver differences...but it's still food for thought. I think Porsche knows what it's doing though.

&gt;&gt; 7:46 - Porsche 996 GT2
&gt;&gt; 7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo
&gt;&gt; 7:57 - Lotec Porsche 993 Turbo (600 HP, racing suspension)
&gt;&gt; 8:07 - Ferrari 550
&gt;&gt; 8:09 - Porsche 996 GT3
&gt;&gt; 8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
&gt;&gt; 8:09 - Ferrari 360 Modena
&gt;&gt; 8:10 - Chrysler Viper GTS
&gt;&gt; 8:12 - Porsche 993 Turbo (430 HP version)
&gt;&gt; 8:15 - BMW Z8 400 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:17 - Porsche 996 C2
&gt;&gt; 8:18 - Ferrari F355
&gt;&gt; 8:22 - BMW M Coupe 321 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:25 - Audi RS4 375 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:28 - Porsche 993 C2
&gt;&gt; 8:28 - BMW M5 400 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:32 - Porsche Boxster S
&gt;&gt; 8:35 - BMW M3 Coupe 321 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:37 - Mercedes C32 AMG
&gt;&gt; 8:38 - Honda NSX
&gt;&gt; 8:39 - Honda S2000
&gt;&gt; 8:40 - Chevrolet Corvette
&gt;&gt; 8:42 - Audi S4 265 HP
&gt;&gt; 8:42 - Lotus Exige
&gt;&gt; 8:49 - Jaguar XKR Coupe
&gt;&gt; 8:52 - Mercedes CLK 430
&gt;&gt;

Source</STRONG>
GREAT STATS I wonder what type of Vette that is,,,405 HP ZO6??? hmmm, perhaps not!
Old 01-04-2002 | 07:29 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Hi All,
Reading through all the posts, I can only but say that JBH has 'the most accurate' comments in relation to what Porsche want to be perceived as.

Once upon a time it, Porsche, was a ‘TINY’ other German company making sports cars for anyone wanting a racing machine just to win on the track circuits time after time. They succeeded there admirably. Their record wins in sports car racing stands head and shoulders above all manufacturers and would probably never be equalled. That was then – when all Porsche wanted to do was make racing machines that did one thing very well...WIN!

Today, in the new global economy, to succeed requires more than a racing heritage. More importantly to succeed as an independent car manufacturer requires open minded business planners who HAVE to take the company into new diverse markets, be seen as responsible and have mass market appeal- that is the only way an independent ‘TINY’ other German company making sports can survive in today’s economy.

The other option is to do what Aston Martin – Owned by Ford, Lambo – owned by Audi and Ferrari – owned by FIAT have done. Which is get taken over by people who are just interested in the bottom line figures – therefore if more BHP sells, then that is what they would put out irresponsibly.

Now members, tell me, which one of you have a need for 400bhp +? I guess it helps to get home quicker on a 70mph or 50mph speedway ah?

Honestly, who cares about a faster car than a Porsche, who cares that another ‘sports’ car pulls more ‘Gs’ in a controlled test environment. Reallllllllllllllly!

When Porsche was turbo-charging race engines and achieving reliable cars with 1000BHP engines and winning all races, the competition got upset and introduced a limit in BHPs hence the different classes in a typical motorsport race.

Let the others enjoy being irresponsible in this modern era putting BIG bhp cars out there without any real purpose especially as there are as many gullible buyers who believe that lighter cars with BIG bhp numbers are better, safer, quicker, more efficient etc.

Porsche has not gone soft, they have simply gone from boy racer (1000BHP cars) to responsible, caring big player who needs not seek unwanted attention further but who can still show ‘newcomers’ a thing or two when necessary – 550RS Syder (James Dean had one!), 2.7RS, 2.8RSR, 930 Turbo, 965 Turbo S, 993 Turbo S, GT2 (993), GT1 (996), GT3, GT2 (996) and GT, to name but a few!
Now how many other car manufacturers can roll out such fine lines of unique products time and time again? The journey, my friends, has only just begun!

There really is no subtitue for substance, pedigree and quality.

Buy one, drive it and let others admire you as they do. It is really nice at the top!

996 C2 Cab – arrive in style because they know the game is over.
Old 01-04-2002 | 09:27 AM
Graham
Instructor

Observations from having both a 996 cab and an '02 Z06 is that there is a huge difference in refinement between the cars - not so much in the engine but defintiely in the suspension set up. The more miles I put on the Z06, particularly fast ones, you realise just how crude the Chevy suspension is.

If you ignore the fact that the Z06 has a killer engine and is a torque monster, you'll rapidly find that the suspension setup is very loose and subject to torque lift under power. It can get pretty squirly at high speed with full throttle. This is definitely a car that needs some dialing out of the lift at speed (ground effects needed!).

In contrast, my 996 gets more stable as the speed increases and never has that loose, almost out of control feeling that the Z06 exhibits. You can certainly hustle the Z06 to obscene speeds very quickly, but it's a lot more work on the twisty's.

Mine's off to get it's suspension balanced before I put it in a ditch somewhere. Even in stock form, the 996 standard setup (on a cab even) is far superior on the road.

Graham
Old 01-04-2002 | 11:57 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Hi Graham, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I have never been willing to drive our Z06 hard enough on a public road to determine how much of a loose, or oversteer, handling charactersitic it has.

I always run out of courage before the car runs out of grip. I find the car to have quite good road feel and balance. It is only on rough secondary roads where I find the stiffness can compromise a feeling of finese.

I have not spent time in a 996 so I do not have the experience you have with the two cars. The 996 sounds like a fine handling machine. I did own a 98 M3 for a couple of years before trading it in on a Viper GTS.

I see that you live in Vancouver Wa. Do you make it out to PIR for Porsche club or other track days? I make it out there from time to time to drive my Viper and Z28.

Jim
Old 01-05-2002 | 06:41 AM
Graham
Instructor

Originally posted by pig4bill:
<STRONG>The E36 M3 I drove did not have a harsh ride at all. I haven't driven an E46 yet, but from what the car rags say, it is not even close to being as harsh as a Z06.</STRONG>
Err no, try again. The Z06 is not, by any defintion, harsh. It may be many things, but it isn't harsh.

Graham
Old 01-05-2002 | 06:49 AM
Graham
Instructor

Originally posted by Jim Hodel:
<STRONG>
I see that you live in Vancouver Wa. Do you make it out to PIR for Porsche club or other track days? I make it out there from time to time to drive my Viper and Z28.

Jim</STRONG>
I'm planning on attending events this year. In fact, the rationale behind getting the Z06 was to take advantage of Chevy's free money and get a track day car that wouldn't break the bank and that I could safely play without any regard for it's daily usage.

I was always too worried about breaking things with my Ferrari's plus time is normally the issue. The 996 cab/X5 are my daily drivers.

Hope to see you this year! There's certainly a decent Porsche/Corvette and Ferrari crowd up here in the NW.

Graham
Old 01-09-2002 | 01:48 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Graham, where are you Vancouver?

I am in Salmon Creek.

Old 01-09-2002 | 02:18 AM
Graham
Instructor

Originally posted by PRDATR:
<STRONG>Graham, where are you Vancouver?

I am in Salmon Creek.

</STRONG>
Old Evergreen Highway, down by the river.

I probably have WA's least managed/cared for piece of road since they annexed this area and built SR-14 in the '60s. I don't think it's been fixed since then.

Graham
Old 01-13-2002 | 06:05 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

I posted on this topic on 8/14. I just got my 2002 996 coupe a couple of weeks ago. My Z06 will be here at the end of the month. As I said I would do-I cancelled my 2002 996TT order. The Z06 is an absolute animal and worth every penny. This thread is a testament to how good the Z06 really is. I think the 996TT owners have a great car-If they have any money left over buy a Z06 also and move on with your lives.
Old 01-16-2002 | 04:09 AM
Graham
Instructor

Originally posted by Riz:
<STRONG>The Z06 is an absolute animal and worth every penny. This thread is a testament to how good the Z06 really is.</STRONG>
You're going to have a blast.... welcome to the club!

The more I drive my Z06 the more I love it. Things to watch out for are nasty tramlining on the freeway (it likes the ruts) and the tyres are definitely more suited to dry weather than rain. I put a K&N in too as my only mod so far - definitely a cheap performance improvement, as if you needed one.

Oh, and come on over to the z06vette.com forum too - lot's of drag racing junk there but useful stuff too.

Graham
Old 01-22-2002 | 03:02 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Graham:
<STRONG>

watch out for are nasty tramlining on the freeway (it likes the ruts)

Graham</STRONG>

What is that "bump steer"...possibly?

If so- That's not good,,,not good at all, especially bump steer at high speed "nasty" is a flat out understatement!
Old 01-25-2002 | 02:37 PM
Pigface1
Track Day

Cool

Originally posted by Riz:
<STRONG>I posted on this topic on 8/14. I just got my 2002 996 coupe a couple of weeks ago. My Z06 will be here at the end of the month. As I said I would do-I cancelled my 2002 996TT order. The Z06 is an absolute animal and worth every penny. This thread is a testament to how good the Z06 really is. I think the 996TT owners have a great car-If they have any money left over buy a Z06 also and move on with your lives.</STRONG>
Congratulations, that's awesome.

For those that talk about being unstable at high speeds, for less than $110K, Lingenfelter can build you a car that will go 225mph+ without monsterous ground effects. Some people complain about Porsche's over-steer problem as well. To each their own.
Old 01-26-2002 | 10:57 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Graham and Pigface1: I just got my Z06 two days ago. It's absolutely incredible. A car I'm actually intimidated by. Definitely as close to a race car as you can get for the street. I'm actually surprized by how comfortable it actually is. I have to get rid of the 1-4 skipshift though. I got the quicksilver with the black interior. Oh excuse me I forgot this is a Porsche forum.
Old 01-27-2002 | 03:12 AM
Graham
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Riz:
<strong>Graham and Pigface1: I just got my Z06 two days ago. It's absolutely incredible. A car I'm actually intimidated by. Definitely as close to a race car as you can get for the street. I'm actually surprized by how comfortable it actually is. I have to get rid of the 1-4 skipshift though. I got the quicksilver with the black interior. Oh excuse me I forgot this is a Porsche forum. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Excellent!!! The first upgrade I always have to get with C5's is the CAGS defeat to fix the 1-4 low rev shift - $15 and you're sorted! I also replace the filter with a K&N which makes a difference even with the Z06.

There's definitely room for both a 996 and a Z06 in the enthusiast's garage!! I like having the choice ... Z06 when it's dry but not sunny, 996 cab when the sun's out and I have an X5 for those 'other' days.

It snowed here today and I was caught out in the 996 cab - it was rock solid without any drama whatsoever - glad I wasn't out in the Z06 when it happened though.

Graham

Quick Reply: Car & Driver tests 2001 996TT versus 2002 Corvette Z06--- at roadcourse/dragstrip>