Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car & Driver tests 2001 996TT versus 2002 Corvette Z06--- at roadcourse/dragstrip>

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 02:22 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh I know they can drag...I just said that they weren't designed for it.

I agree with you that this seems like a weak example...Handling wise as well.

This article says that the 996TT pulls .93G's around the skidpad, .98G's for the Z06. Road and track puts the 996TT at .96 and the Z06 at 1.00. Motor trend doesn't list skidpad or slalom speeds...but I know they didn't get 1G for the Z06.

There's no doubt about one thing though..in my mind anyway..the 996TT is a much better daily driver than the Z06. Every article I've read that mentioned the ride in either car mentioned that the Z06 was quite stiff & rough. Odly enough the Porsche is a better daily driver (IMO) than the Chevrolet...Quite interesting....

Anyhew...I'm glad I don't have to make the decision between the two cars (lack of funds). It was clear for me...('89 951 owner).
Old 08-17-2001, 02:21 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the Z06 is a great value for a performance car. That being said, the 911 is something special - its much more than its numbers. I know I can't outdrag a Z06 (or viper) in my C4 Coupe, but I LOVE the way my car looks, feels and handles and its pretty darn fast. If you're talking just "value" for the dollar, the boxter S probably delivers more performance for the dollar than the 911, but we all purchased 911s! (and we got 2 + 2 to boot). I don't intend to take anything away from the vette - its a cool car - its just a very different car than the porsche and I'd make the same purchase decision today if choosing between the Z06 and the 911 (notwithstanding the price differntial).
Old 08-22-2001, 12:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Why not wreap the benefits of both worlds-get a c2 996 and a corvette z06. I think it comes close to the price of one 996 tt. You get the prestige of a porsche and the performance of the z06 in one garage. thanks
Old 08-22-2001, 02:56 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe anyone would try to rationalize the results of the test.

I know we all love Porsche, we don't seem to be listening. Porsche has told us over and over again they don't care about out-performing the best from Chevrolet, Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari, Dodge, or any other performance car manufacturer.

Their only baseline is the previous model year. They strive to provide better handling, better performance, and more luxury than the prior year.

We see the very evidence of this in the C&D article, in the fact they show no interest in racing programs, and they place so much emphasis the American market (Yes, we Americans are to blame for the SUV).

It's like not being able to see someone's faults because you are blinded by love. Let's take a cold shower and wake up to the reality. Until they see their market share dropping to the likes of the Corvette, Viper, or other performance cars, they'll keep on do what makes them the most money.
Old 08-25-2001, 02:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

After reading the article with the reference to the corvette z66 and the porsche 996 tt- i never thought it was a fair comparison becuase both are two different animals. I mean how can you compare a 8 vs 6 cylinder engine. A better comparison is can any other company build a better 6 cylinder then porsche or can anyone build a better 8 cylinder then a corvette. I know there are no cars that can beat the 6 of a porsche but there maybe a few that can better the corvette 8 cylinder. And if porsche decides to build an 8 cylinder i'm pretty sure it may best the corvette z06. And from a price standpoint I'd say whatever you can afford because the price of the porsche and corvette will never come close. just my 2 cents worth. take care.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:38 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

996FLT6, what about the M3-E46 3.3l 343HP 8000 RPM atmosferic L-6cil. engine and the Ferrari 360M 3.6l 400HP 8500RPM atmosferic V8? never say never
Anyway, I wonder why C&D didnīt have a 911 GT2 in the test . Isnīt the Z06 a lighter more powerful version with upgraded suspensions of the C5, then with not call in the lighter, 2WD, more powerful version of the 911 (462HP and 3175lbs.)? I guess the other car makers incl. Chevy said "no fair ".

Carlos from Spain
996 C4
Old 08-25-2001, 05:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

To Carlos from Spain- I stand corrected. I imagine in time we'll see how both 6's do longterm. There both great engines. I love to get the new m3 as a daily driver-its a more practical package and a great value. take care.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:45 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"This article says that the 996TT pulls .93G's around the skidpad"

FWIW, this is also what they got out of the Box S!!!!!

"Isnīt the Z06 a lighter more powerful version with upgraded suspensions of the C5, then with not call in the lighter, 2WD, more powerful version of the 911 (462HP and 3175 lbs.)? I guess the other car makers incl. Chevy said "no fair".

Carlos, aren't you the least bit embarassed that Chevy has to go up 300% in price (with gas and lux tax) from the Z06 in the Porcsche foodchain to finally find a car that blows it way? Even then, the GT2 doesn't exactly blow away the TT. No, I think Chevy would be laughing their ***** off (with lots of justification) if Porsche sent the $180k + lux, gas, and sales tax GT2 to fight it's battles rather than screaming "no fair". Given the paper numbers aren't that diff for the TT and GT2 for most of the stuff R&T tested in the Z06 vs. TT showdown, it would be a serious blow to Porsche to have a $50k vs. $180K+ showdown.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:47 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, since TOTAL US production for the GT2 for the next TWO years is only 166, I'd think the Z06 should be shipped to Lingerwhatever for a 700 hp retrofit. It would probably be about as limited production as the GT2, kick it's **** decidely, and still cost well under 1/2 the GT2.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:41 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ben in lj:

Carlos, aren't you the least bit embarassed that Chevy has to go up 300% in price (with gas and lux tax) from the Z06 in the Porcsche foodchain to finally find a car that blows it way? No, I think Chevy would be laughing their ***** off (with lots of justification) if Porsche sent the $180k + lux, gas, and sales tax GT2 to fight it's battles rather than screaming "no fair

Well, if you make a luxury car comparison for example, would Lexus be laughing at Rolls Royce because Lexus is cheaper? I donīt think so.
You canīt compare the 911 to a stripped down Vette in a global sense because the Vette is simply no match, just like Lexus is no match for Rolls Royce. You can only compare them in a very specific deparment which is accel. figures and price, and just about it!(and the performance of the 911TT smells fishy to me too.) You get MUCH more from the 911 globally and that costs $$.
Why would Porsche want to make a cheap version of the 911 (or even Boxer will do) with just a couple of cheap turbos and no toys and refinement to compete in 0-60 figures in the "bargain" sportcar market?

BTW you may only get 166 units of the GT2 in the U.S but do you know how many units of the Z06 will we get here in Europe? None!

Carlos.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:34 AM
Carlos
Banned

Man, you guys kill me.

On one hand you say the reason a vette costing 42% of the cost of a 996tt smokes it, handling, stopping and yes the much malingned but most enjoyable ACCELERATION. Now you act like Porsche should have as a slogan, "best 6cyl sports car you can buy for $120k." That way the fact that the vette wore it out is neutralizied "'cause it's a V8."

Then on the other hand after admitting the v8's inherent advantage, you're on other threads referring to v8's as big, heavy and slow revving. Whatever characteristics they have apparently include the ability to make superior power for a lot less money than whatever Porsche is currently doing. Now of course that is of no consequense to the "money is no object" purist types. But there are not enough of them around to keep Porsche in business (hence the SUV). GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:43 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Ok, if you are confused,lets make it simpler then,
Yes, the Z06īs LS6 engine is a powerful cheap engine but, so is the viperīs. Does that mean V10 is better than v8?
No, V8 engines are a not always a superior configuration than a 6 cil. There is more to an engine than "most bang for the buck". Some cars need an 8cil some a 6cil. depending on what the whole package needs.
Yes, there is more to a car than 0-60, C&Dīs skidpad, and other figures, and that "more" is the expensive part. And if thats all you use to judge a car then you are missing a whole lot to sportcar enjoyment. Thats why I choose a 911 rather than a cheaper more powerful M3 for example(or ZO6).
Conclusion, if you can afford it you can buy a 911TT or 911GT2 if not you can settle for a Z06 which is the closest thing with similar performance for $60k

BTW, Carlos, did you read Andreas Gnutzmannīs post in the "911 in 2004" topic? Seems like you will finnally be getting your long awaited 8 cil Porsche (new 928 it seems) . Hope its true, now thats a project, not the ANTI-SPORTS CAR SUV which should be called vanilla and not cayenne. Sad day it will be when a SUV will wear Ferryīs crest on the hood

Carlos from Spain
Old 08-27-2001, 09:30 PM
Carlos
Banned

Well aparently a 911 needs a V8 if Porsche wants to run with BMW. Now if you think that having less power and charging more for it provides some kind of elitist snob apeal that I may not be capable of appreciating, you may be right. But if you think that there are not a lot of guys with 996tts that are extremely dissapointed to find out that a $50k vette out accelerates, out brakes and out handles their car, you are wrong. All of the bull**** about the 6cyl motor is escoteric. If more power is not desirable then why do so many people spend so much money in pursuit of it?
Old 08-28-2001, 06:31 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

I obviously canīt be any clearer, but I donīt think its a problem in communication but rather I feel some resentment towards 911īs from you, Carlos. You seem happy that a the Z06 beat a fishy 911TT in a "C&D" test (Iīd like to see a real test lapping Nurburgring for example, then we would make some conclusions about handling, the Z06 could not even beat the 6cil atmospheric 911GT3 and definately could not hold the track rithym for long compared to the Porsche... thats why after their durability tests Chevy is changing the clutch on the Z06 2002 now!and after 5 min of track use the oil temp is already to 250 degrees,but thats what you get for 40k)
Iīve read posts in which you state comments like "my 14yr old 928 dusted the current wundercar (996)" "I handed his *** to him" ", I abused the **** out of whoever was driving the shiny blue 996" and so on. Iīm not a pschoanalist but Iīm sure getting the picture the more posts I read from you, all that resentemnt towards 911īs! do they make you feel inferior or violent? where you jealous of the "shinny blue 996"? Get over it. I drive a 996 C4 and donīt go bashing 911TT owners and if a street race comes up, then its a friendly competition with a fellow car enthusiast no matter how faster or better his car is.
You are quick to point out the solution to the "ignorant" Porsche engineers, then you call people who choose the 911 "snobs" because you canīt comprehend anything more than winning in a dragrace, and nothing about power delivery, handling caracteristics, practicality, safety at to-the-limit driving, reliability, overall balance, poise at high speeds, interior build quality, etc, etc, etc.
BTW why donīt you post that post on the 911TT forum and see how many of the 911TT owners prefer the Z06
Get over it, Carlos.

Carlos from Spain
Old 08-29-2001, 01:53 PM
Pigface1
Track Day

Just to be clear. . a Twin Turbo Porsche will destroy a new stock vette in a 1/4 mile. Versus a Z06, it will be close, but the Porsche SHOULD win that race with similar drivers.

I'm just wondering where it will all end. . this is a great time to be into sports cars. The TT Porsche is a high 11/low 12 second car. . that's FAST, very fast. And people complain that it's not fast enough. lol When do you have ENOUGH horsepower? Hennessey has an 800TT Viper. . Lingenfelter has a 225mph vette. . both are barely over $100K, with warranty. Supra guys are putting on gigantic single turbos and getting around 1000rwhp. . it's madness.

Anyway, I surf a few forums. . the guys with the cash that are true performance junkies all seem to go for heavily modded Vipers, Corvettes, and Supras b/c they're *relatively* inexpensive to get a whole lot of bang out of.

At any rate, I'd take a Twin Turbo Porsche over a Z06 in a heartbeat, going on the track or not.

But then, take a look at this package the Hennessey has for the Z06/Z600. .an upgrade to 600 horsepower, etc. Once it's all said and done, it's still under $80,000.
http://www.hennesseymotorsports.com/cgi/store/commerce.cgi?page=26.html&cart_id=16 6186_18917

Anyway, don't put too much stock in magazine numbers. . A Twin Turbo porsche doesn't have to worry about a stock vette pulling up next to them.

The Z06 came out last year with a new engine, etc. A few people had oil problems, and it gets blown out of proportion. I know Porsche has had it's problems as well.

In ANY performance circle, the Twin Turbo Porsche is highly respected. That can't be said of any other car except certain Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver tests 2001 996TT versus 2002 Corvette Z06--- at roadcourse/dragstrip>