Sponsored by:

Dansk "Super Sound" Exhaust Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Holiday
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dansk "Super Sound" Exhaust Impressions

Many of you may know that we recently did a group purchase for Dansk exhaust systems. Dansk is an OEM exhaust manufacturer and offer 3 systems to choose from for our 996's: "OE Style", "Sport Exhaust", and the "Super Sound" system- which is the loudest of the three. They can each be heard here: http://www.jpgroup.dk/images/feed/so...compressed.pdf

The GP was organized through Dayton at departstop.com, and I was very pleased with the transaction. I would recommend him if you found yourself interested in one of these systems.

After listening to the clips an embarrassing number of times, I finally decided on the "Super Sound" which is said to be 10-15% louder than the next level down- the "Sport Exhaust". I had them installed today at a local Porsche independant shop here in San Diego, and all I have to say is one word- amazing!

At idle, the exhaust is only slightly louder than stock. Beyond idle, it's a whole different animal- it's definately louder, but far from unbearable (keep in mind I also have the 3.6L engine). There is a burble associated with the exhaust (which can be heard in the sound clip) that is just awesome. There is no noticeable resonance throughout the RPM range, and with the windows up, the cabin noise increases only slightly- windows down is just pure bliss. As for a HP seat of the pants feel- it doesn't feel like it gained much, but it sure doesn't feel like it lost any either.

The car is awakened, and sounds like a true Porsche- more teutonic than muscle. It's not too loud, though significantly louder than the quiet stock exhaust. You shouldn't have a problem with neighbors as long as you "keep your foot out of the carburetor". Overall, I couldn't be happier with the exhaust sound/quality/price of the Dansk.

Last edited by Holiday; 05-09-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay Holiday...I officially HATE YOU!!!!

I have been waiting for my exhaust for over a week now!! And now you are telling me they sound amazing...how am I supposed to sleep now??? Knowing that my super sounds will arrive any day now?

seriously..I am glad to hear that they sound great!!!...can't hardly wait!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 AM
delirium
Racer

any pictures of the mufflers b4 install?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 AM
delirium
Racer

actually any sound clips or videos??
Old 05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Holiday
Advanced

Originally Posted by delirium
actually any sound clips or videos??
Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can come up with...

Oh, and Nicholaas- don't hate......appreciate. You'll get yours soon and you will be happy when you do! But, I've gotta say I'm really suprised you haven't gotten a box yet. Have you been in touch with Dayton for a tracking number?

I drove around all evening enjoying the sound- can't get enough of it. Might I dare say that they sound.............better than the almighty PSE!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I called him Yesterday and he said they had a couple of inventory problems...exhausts in the wrong boxes...I rather get the right exhaust later than the wrong ones on time.....I am glad to hear you love the sound....because I was looking for something great!!! And we might have found it...hopefully tomorrow will be my change to hear them roar!!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Hmm, I was going to go w/ the normal sport exhaust, but now with your thread, I'm confused again!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, can you get a sound clip of you cruising at 2000 RPM's or 60 MPH in 6th gear?

Originally Posted by Holiday
Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can come up with...

Oh, and Nicholaas- don't hate......appreciate. You'll get yours soon and you will be happy when you do! But, I've gotta say I'm really suprised you haven't gotten a box yet. Have you been in touch with Dayton for a tracking number?

I drove around all evening enjoying the sound- can't get enough of it. Might I dare say that they sound.............better than the almighty PSE!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write-up. Glad you like the sound of your car. It's a shame these things don't come from the factory sounding so good.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Holiday - Can you compare the "Super Sound" to the OEM PSE? Is this the version that will be the closest in sound? From the previous posts it sounded like the middle of the road "Sport Exhaust" was the one that was the closest.....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Man, makes me wish I didn't wimp out and pass on the group buy.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

Now is the time on Sprockets when we DANSK!

Those clips sound great.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Holiday
Advanced

Originally Posted by wlee69
Holiday - Can you compare the "Super Sound" to the OEM PSE? Is this the version that will be the closest in sound? From the previous posts it sounded like the middle of the road "Sport Exhaust" was the one that was the closest.....
I've yet to hear a PSE system in person- only on sound files. This being said, I can only compare the Dansk to the sound/video clips that are out there. The best video I can compare the sound to is the "Klappentest" of the German guy with the C4S w/PSE driving back and forth on a back road (if anyone who has this could post a link, I'd be grateful). The Dansk is very raspy like the PSE, but more "throaty" than the PSE clips seem to be (sounded like Joe Fabiani there, didn't I?) The true comparison would be having both systems side by side (if anyone has a PSE who would like to get together- shoot me an IM).

I have a new digital video recorder, and will do some drive-by's/in cabin footage this weekend.

Last edited by Holiday; 05-12-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I don't know what is going on at departstop......but I still haven't gotten my exhausts!!!! Ordered it 2 weeks ago!!! Getting a little annoyed!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I don't know what is going on at departstop......but I still haven't gotten my exhausts!!!! Ordered it 2 weeks ago!!! Getting a little annoyed!

Nicolaas, I still have not recieved a call back and it to has been 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Dansk "Super Sound" Exhaust Impressions