Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cop problems with no front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
"KNOCK ON WOOD" ....have been driving around and see other cars drive around without front license plates....I have heard that they give you a ticket and make you come to the Police station, show that you put it on....go home...take it off.....

The P doesn't look good with front license plate....so I am going to be an outlaw.
Nicolaas: I'm with you... And the best advice I can give you, so you can keep your "outlaw" status, is not to get near the LAX airport without your front license plate. The LAX airport police love ticketing vehicles without front license plates.

Best!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Captain Tal
Advanced

I was stopped once on the sole basis of not having a front plate. He was fishin. He let me go with a warning. Another time I was stopped for speeding and he gave me a another ticket for not having a plate. I beat the speeding ticket but had to pay the plate ticket. I don't care. I won't drive with a plate on the front, it's just to fugly.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Lohr
Track Day

I (a white male) have driven my coupe for months now with no front lic. and never have been pulled over. My body shop guy (a black male) was driving the car 2 miles to his shop and was pulled over and cited for no front plate. Go figure
Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 PM
limey996
8th Gear

LAX users beware ... was given a ticket in the long term parking lot!! The ridiculous thing was that the car ( a BMW ) was parked and protected under a car cover.... also in LA /Santa Monica beware of the meter maids as they will drive by and ticket parked vehicles. I guess the city has to pay its bills somehow
Old 05-06-2006, 11:23 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by limey996
LAX users beware ... was given a ticket in the long term parking lot!! The ridiculous thing was that the car ( a BMW ) was parked and protected under a car cover.... also in LA /Santa Monica beware of the meter maids as they will drive by and ticket parked vehicles. I guess the city has to pay its bills somehow
Ther will ticket for that at Angel Stadium as well. It's an easy revenue source for the agencies.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by limey996
also in LA /Santa Monica beware of the meter maids as they will drive by and ticket parked vehicles.
I used to get those tickets all the time in Santa Monica, until I wised up and used this: http://www.gppinc.com/products/produ...0&categoryId=5

I just put it in place when I park the car in West Hollywood or Santa Monica and have never received a ticket while parked since. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 AM
meanboy
Track Day

Default not a porsche being ticketed but...

I received two tickets last year for our Lexus and Mini Cooper S for not having a front license plate. The first one happened on Northbound 101 near Marin City in the Lexus and was written up by the CHP. The second one happened a Bayshore in SF by a SFPD motorcycle cop. Easy to fix and cheap to pay but still a nuisance.

On 10th street between Mission and Howard streets SFPD had two motorcycle cops waving people driving cars without front license plates to two other SFPD motorcycle cops who wrote the tickets. This was last year as well.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I will put on a front plate as soon as someone makes a bracket that works well, looks half decent and won't fall off.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:18 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

It just gives the cops a reason to stop you, not worth the trouble IMO.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't run with mine on. I've been pulled over a few times for speeding and the cops never said anything about it. I keep it under the front passenger seat and put it in the window when I cross the border/park, etc. My line if the police mention it is, "It's right here officer, it fell off. The mounting bracket is on back order, but I'll get in on as soon as it comes in."
Old 05-07-2006, 12:35 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Designe the plate?

What about buying designer plates to make them more appealing.
What is allowed? Can you stick any colour on there?

http://www.createmyplates.com/showpl...mberplate.html
Old 05-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MagnusB
What is allowed?
Plates issued by the DMV...that is what is allowed.

It's not so much the plate that I object to, it's really more to do with how they attach to the bumper cover with those silly expansion screws. Ultra-flimsy.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:35 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Most states require the mounting of front license plates. Local pd's generally will not pull you over for it, but will write it up in addition to another offense if your a rude dude. Also, state police or DPS will pull you over for it and it alone. The choice is yours. I don't mount one.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Most states require the mounting of front license plates. Local pd's generally will not pull you over for it, but will write it up in addition to another offense if your a rude dude. Also, state police or DPS will pull you over for it and it alone. The choice is yours. I don't mount one.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:54 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: Cop problems with no front license plate?