Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cop problems with no front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
Used to drive my Viper w/o front plate in Oregon. Never had any problems...
But then a Viper is more of an exotic than a Porsche.

Tell them it's been stolen if they pull you over.
mmm, by that you mean more of a redneck?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:38 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I've owned several sports cars and am not really tied to any brand. Every one has its pros and its cons. When I worked for Nike and lived in PDX I used to own a Viper. That's why I reacted to the 'license plate in OR post'.
Regarding my comment about the Viper : a car of which maximum 4000 units are (hand) made a year is by definition way more exotic than a car of which 80,000 units are produced.

I really love my Porsche. It's the only true sportscar that qualifies as a daily driver, and that's what I use it for.
Having said that, if I want to have some great thrills on a weekend cruise, I'd take the Viper.
There is no replacement for displacement. The torque on these cars is simply amazing.
One needs to have owned and driven both cars in order to make a decent comparison.

Hey JTSPO - please share with the rest of us which cars you own !
Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I've been stopped twice for speeding. Given a warning both times. Each time, the cop took a look around the car. Each time no front license plate. No mention of the missing plate in both instances. That could easily have been a $100.00 fine per incident, for a atotal of $200.00 towards the cop kitty jar. I guess most cops don't realize it's against the law? Or maybe just being nice?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what guys? I've got a hard time trying to figure out what all these post are about not having plates on a car or getting a ticket in Texas or California or wherever and asking how to get out of it. Why is so much time being devoted to trying to figure a way out of an illegal act or failure to act. It seems to me that if the law says one thing and you push the envelope...you should just acknowledge the fact that (in some extreme cases) this is the second, third or fourth time you got stopped for the same thing and you finally got busted. You knew the rules when you did what you did, and you got caught...so quit whining or looking for excuses and own up to the offense. We all know that if we play...eventually we pay. Some of you are ahead on the percentages...be thankful and leave it at that. Chuck
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 AM
jeff_c
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
185$ ticket in NY, mine actually did fall off once, while waiting the week for new ones, pulled over twice, not worth the hassle.

Yikes!!!! I didn't know this. I drove my Prowler for 6 years without plates as I didn't want to drill the bumper or pay the $650+ for a custom plate holder (price when the car first came out in '99).

I know it was only for 4,000 miles on Saturday nights but I now feel very lucky I didn't get snagged. I hate giving cash away.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 546 Posts

I got a ticket in Dayton, OH in 85 for no front plate. It cost me $85. If the fine is tied to oil I'd hate to get one now
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Had mine registered in AR (no front plate required) for awhile under a legal corporate name/address.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:18 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Never had a front license plate on ANY vehicle, better yet my P-Car. Don't plan on putting one on either. Got a ticket for it +10 years ago, but none since...also have had my fair share of pull-overs and never a comment on the lack of a front license plate.

Of course, as luck has its, I am probably going to get pulled over and get a ticket for no front license plate now...
Old 04-29-2006, 03:55 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Mine's always off, but have to put it on once a year for the emissions, etc. inspection. Have not been stopped, but keep it mounted on the bracket in the trunk.

Just as an aside, the first time I took the plugs off by wedging them with a stiff piece of plastic I scratched some of the paint off the plug (silver). Eric told me the way to remove them safely is by wrapping dental floss around and behind the plug and pull quickly. Probably everyone in the world knew that but me...anyway it works perfectly.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
But then a Viper is more of an exotic than a Porsche.
Originally Posted by LVDell
Originally Posted by riad
Huh??
I know we all fanatically love our p-cars (perhaps you more than most lvdell heh) but is it really so unbelievable to think about another car being more exotic than our 911s?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Viper is faster, more ridiculously impractical, and most importantly, less common - doesn't that qualify as being more exotic?

I'm not suggesting that we all trade in on Vipers but regardless, it's alright to appreciate other cars - I dont think it detracts from the accomplishments of our own cars.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I got a ticket in Dayton, OH in 85 for no front plate. It cost me $85. If the fine is tied to oil I'd hate to get one now
Ohio has the most active traffic enforcement of any state. Something I've observered on the net and verified with long haul truckers and charter bus operators.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things I did when I got my 996 was take off the front plate. I only got a ticket for it once in the dozen or so times I got pulled over, and that was when I got nabbed coming off an exit ramp at 100 mph at 4 am one day with a state trooper right there.

I plead not guilty to the ticket and when I went in front of the magistrate I just explained that they're attached with flimsy plastic clips that kept on breaking. Uh yeah, that's why it wasn't on! She immediately took it off the ticket. She wasn't so kind with the 35 MPH over the limit...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I had my front plate issue solved over the weekend. Was driving at the Oregon coast and came around a corner faster than a flying bird. Nailed the bird (medium sized) directly in the front license plate and it sheared it off, the plate, bracket, mounting screws, everything. Did no damage to the bumper. Had to turn around to get the plate and put it in the trunk, complete with bird guts on it and feathers wedged between the plate and frame! So for the moment I legitatemly have no plate and if I get pulled over, I've got some very good (and pretty disgusting) proof why. How's that for timing?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Keep all the evidence....including the bird. You'll never get another ticket!
PS: Glad your car wasn't damaged!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

There's no traffic court judge in the world who would look at the front plate splattered with bird blood and imbedded feathers who would doubt your story for one minute. I can imagine that most traffic court judges have heard just about ever B.S. (and many true) stories, excuses, anecdotal tales etc...but few are presented with "evidence" similar to what you have. Yes, I'd tend to have to agree with Don W. that you should "keep the evidence". It should suffice until a few years pass and the blood and feathers dries and falls off!... I wonder how many guys are going to go out and find road kill pheasants, chickens, or other fowl and beat up their front plates with them. Chuck

Quick Reply: Cop problems with no front license plate?