Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:06 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default One major weakness with 996 is...

The standard and/or stock seats. Seriously folks, this car is supposed to be a sports car and instead we get treated to sloppy, unsupportive, awfully heavy and utterly useless seats. I mean my 27 year old 930 (old school 911 turbo) has FAR better and supportive seats (ok they're chocolate brown but that's besides the point). One of the best mods for these cars has to be the GT3 seats. Yes there are better/lighter race seats out there but there's no denying that GT3 seats not only save weight, keep you and your butt in the seat better when going through the twisties (or on the track) and yes look better. There's nothing worse than being in a high HP TT at the track where your **** slides around every corner and you're having to use your knee to brace yourself against the door. I know they're not for everyone but even tall people can couple these with a lowering bracket. Each seat with the bracket is 29 pounds. The stock seats? You don't even want to know. Try 2.5X... and almost 2 for the sport seats. I honestly feel a pair of these for roughly 2.5K is the best 2.5K you can spend on modding these cars- it took a couple of customers this week to remind me of that fact. Porsche (at least in Europe) really got it right.

And just because they're GT3 seats, it doesn't mean one can't bling them up a bit with carbon, yellow paint and/or alcantara. One GT640 car has the yellow thing going on (really neat) and the other GT640 is full of carbon (the owner is obviously trying to rival me with the most carbon found in any 996TT). Both owners, who have modded their cars up the wazzoo have said the same thing to me. "...possibly, best 2.5K I've ever spent on this car".

I get asked at least 20X times a week "What's the best mod that you think one can do". Maybe GT3 seats and a roll bar are it? If nothing else you can use 5 points, be safer and hang a set of rear Moton canister mounts.
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't agree more...but having said that...I am using mine as a daily driver, don't track...so wouldn't the Gt seat be a little uncomfy?? I don't think my wife will be happy sitting in those seat for a 4 hour trip with the top down...no seat heating..no possibility for a lumbar support?
When I get enough cash..I will buy myself a coupe with stick and do the yellow "thing" to it...love the speed yellow and black combination!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say YUCK to that mustard over done interior.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree too. Very good points. But what's your oppinion on the OEM Sport seats as they are deeper and more laterally supportive than the stock?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

GT3 seats though are going to be more for a track only car though. Something I've been toying with buying is this thing I see advertised in Roundel that is like a cinch you can put on your 3 point seatbelt to lock it in place, that was you can make it tight on your body enough that you won't have to support yourself with your legs.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Sure the yellow car is decked out nicely, but getting fancy sports seats and driving an automatic...????... call me a purist, but these cars shouldn't be sold other than as a manual...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by P020371
Sure the yellow car is decked out nicely, but getting fancy sports seats and driving an automatic...????
That does seem a bit poserish.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by P020371
Sure the yellow car is decked out nicely, but getting fancy sports seats and driving an automatic...????... call me a purist, but these cars shouldn't be sold other than as a manual...
Except for the fact that the new 997 Turbo automatic is quicker than the 6-speed. That said I enjoy my manual and would not get a auto right now. However, if and when Porsche works the bugs out of its DSG style transmission I may be game.

On the GT3 seats I think they are a great addition as long as the car is not also performing daily driving duties or taken on long trips. Somehow I don't think I would ever get to take the Porsche on long trips when my wife was going to be in the car with those seats.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

The GT3 seats are definitely one of the sweetest seats out there, if not the best. BUT, I would also have to question how comfortable it is over long road trips. I sat in one before and it hugs you x1000000 more than the stockers, but that may be a bit annoying for long rides??? Any GT3 seat owners care to chime in?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Agreed....

The GT3 seats are the best upgarde made to the car yet..... Unbelieveable when at the track compared to the stock power seats.....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Question regarding safety.

I have toyed around the idea of getting GT3 seats or a racing seat installed. I am tall and could use the head room, they look better, will keep me from slidding in autoXing, and are much lighter; however, I thought that in order to have these seats you need to have a roll bar because the backs do not break away in a roll over like our standard or sport seats do. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question........I would like to get a source for those clamps that are used with stock seat belts? Where can I get one??
Steve
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Good question........I would like to get a source for those clamps that are used with stock seat belts? Where can I get one??
Steve
I googled it and figured out the name. CG Lock. It appears their website is http://www.cg-lock.com/. I haven't tried it, but I am intrigued.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 PM
HooliganX
Racer

I have the GT3 seats and love them. I use the car for track events and commuting a few days a week.

I find the GT3 seats more comfortable than the stock sport seats, but I have had "larger" people in the car and they found the seats uncomfortable. If you can, sit in a car with them before you buy.

Pros:
You feel like you're a part of the car in them, like integrated into it.
No more sliding around in the seat.
Lighter than stock seats.
Good for harnesses.
They look awesome.

Cons:
Give up your back seat (if you have one).
Might be uncomfortable for larger folks.
There is slightly more effort required to get in/out of the car with them.
Not a good option for taking lady in a dress out to dinner.

That's my 2 cents, I would never go back to stock seats.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know what the GT3 seats weight w/o brackets?

Quick Reply: One major weakness with 996 is...