Sponsored by:

SmartTop/RemoteTop Install complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts
Default SmartTop/RemoteTop Install complete

Last fall I bought the SmartTop through the Rennlist Sponsership, paid $269.00 plus shipping (goes for $319.00 now) and installed it in Sept. Loved the one touch up& down and the ability to open and lcose the top while moving. Thought It was a great deal and a wonderfull improvement to the car.

In Nov. they began to advertise the Remote top. When they first became available they put a few on ebay, and at least one with no reserve, I picked it up for #130.50 plus $10.00 shipping, unbelieveable price, they are going for $299.00 now. Just installed it last weekend, and it is even better than the SmartTop. Great to be able to open and close the top with the remote, what a convenience. Jump out of the car and push the button on the key, top closes and car locks by itself. Puch the button walking up to the car and by the time your are sitting in the car the top is down. A few other features like auto locking are also included.

I highly recommend both products if you have a cab. Even at the current prices they are great additions to cabs.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
jedier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both as well (SmartTop installed last year, RemoteTop a month or so ago). I love both of these mods which allow me to:
            Old 04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
            rch314
            Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RemoteTop as well and I agree, it's pretty nice.
            Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 PM
            rountreed
            Burning Brakes

Well I too have both and agree they are great. I think I can 100% recommend these items.
            Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
            Nicolaasdb
            Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my remote top and smart top...had to send both back, because they mall functioned, but the company is great and wiithin a week I had both products back...it is the greatest thing that you can get out of the car and close the top while walking away .....knowing that if anybody tries to get into the car they will get hurt!!! when the top is still closing!!
            Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 AM
            Troy R
            Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed both items last weekend. Love them! Took no time at all to install and it is so nice not having to sit in the car with the e-brake up and hold that little button down for the whole process.
            Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
            LVDell
            Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The only reason I would NOT get the remote top it b/c personally I would have to make sure the doors locks insterad of just walking away while the top closes and belived they did lock on faith. Instead, I just hit the auto close smart top button as I am pulling into a space and I am good to go by the time I get out of the car.
            Old 04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
            Kims996Cab
            Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
            The only reason I would NOT get the remote top it b/c personally I would have to make sure the doors locks insterad of just walking away while the top closes and belived they did lock on faith. Instead, I just hit the auto close smart top button as I am pulling into a space and I am good to go by the time I get out of the car.
            Dell,

When the top is closed via the Remote Top, The door lock button on the key is what triggers the process. Push the lock button as usual to begin the normal locking operation. I hear the locks click, see the double flash of the park lights, and then .... and only then, does the top start up, followed by window closing. When you see the top operation begin, then you release the button.

Now, unless you try the door handle every time after pushing the lock button on your key (I certainly don't .... though I do watch for the lights to flash), then this is the exact same process. For me, pulling on the door handle every time (one would have to check both doors, I guess, to be sure) .... would significantly devalue the ability to remote lock in the first place.

Actual testimonial: last week we were at a friend's home for a party, parked in his driveway. Wife notices lightening, indicating an approaching storm. 993 Turbo and Corvette drivers go out to raise windows. Me, standing on the front porch jawing with my buds ... I pull out my key and "click": the top goes up on my car, 20 or so feet away and the windows slide on up.

Call me a kid, but what a rush
            Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
            Troy R
            Racer

Nice Kim. You gotta love that. Could you keep from smiling as you were doing it?

I'm not worried about the doors locking, that is how it was designed to work. Checked it the first time, no need to check it again.

When I hit the remote and the process starts, my horn makes a short beep. I believe it is because the interior infra reds aren't activated since the top was down. Does yours do this too?
            Old 04-27-2006, 03:07 PM
            Nicolaasdb
            Drifting

Heeee Dell...don't you think I checked this?? You are not they only smart puppy on this site ( I AM JOKING!!! I know I have to mention this otherwise you are going to kill me!! )

When you close the roof with the smart remote....the door lock and you will hear a short honk to make you aware of the fact that something is still open (which is the roof..closing)

I understand your concern Dell, but it is nice to open the roof with something in your hands that you want to put on the backseat....or to close the car when you forgot to do so when driving into a parking space....just my 2cents
            Old 04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
            Kims996Cab
            Racer

Originally Posted by Troy R
            When I hit the remote and the process starts, my horn makes a short beep. I believe it is because the interior infra reds aren't activated since the top was down. Does yours do this too?
            Troy,

The short beep you hear upon locking is the car's signal that one of the items monitored by the security system is NOT closed completely. To my knowledge, these items include:
            doors
            hood
            trunk
            interior oddments compartment (the most common culprit)
            radio (not seated in the rack).

Locking (when all is well) does not trigger this warning beep simply because the top is down.
            Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
            Kims996Cab
            Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
            When you close the roof with the smart remote....the door lock and you will hear a short honk to make you aware of the fact that something is still open (which is the roof..closing)
            I have never gotten a beep when using the Remote Top to close my top ... at least not one based upon the top's normal operation. In my owner's manual, the top mechanism is not one of the items listed as triggering this warning beep.

Better check for something open.
            Old 04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
            Nicolaasdb
            Drifting

I guess mine is very special....because nothing else is open..and it does it every time I use the smart remote
            Old 04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
            Troy R
            Racer

I just went and played with it. Set alarm on/off with everything up and closed, no horn beep. Put the top down, then used Remote key to arm and put up top. Locks went down, top started going up and then short horn beep. Same as it has done. I think's it the interior infra red's not being activated because the top is down or in motion. When the top is down and I leave it down, but set the alarm, I don't get a beep. Hmm... I'll check owner's manual tonight. Maybe it has to do with changes they made in the chip?
            Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 PM
            LVDell
            Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally understand what y'all are saying but (1) I think it is overkill if you have the smart top and (2) I am very happy with pressing the auto top close when pulling into my garage or a parking spot or just the opposite when exiting. To each his own.

Quick Reply: SmartTop/RemoteTop Install complete