Sponsored by:

PSE group buy...anybody interested??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Why pay a premium for NO gains when as you state you can get ~10hp for less money.........???
Because some people think it sounds better. $900 for Fabspeed sounds better to my wallet.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Because some people think it sounds better. $900 for Fabspeed sounds better to my wallet.
Thats what I figured.

Fabspeed sounds better (pun intended) all the time, especially since I have
a Fabspeed intake coming....
Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, those prices still suck. Guess they're not anxious to have our business, $50 off is ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess 1499 isn't that bad...adn I hae asked around (on Rennlist) which the best sounding (non muscle car like) exhaust was and PSE was the way to go....so I guess I got to fork the 1499 out (plus shipping) to make myself a happy camper!!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Holiday
Advanced

Hi guys-

I haven't properly introduced myself to the forum (still working on pics!), but I wanted to quickly jump in here to present another idea to everyone. I recently bought a 2002 C4S and have been doing alot of homework on which exhaust I'd like to buy. I've personally decided on a system by Dansk. They are a Danish OEM company that produced the PSE system.
They offer an aftermarket version of the PSE which is essentially the exact same muffler- minus the tone adjustibility. Also, they have a "Super Sound" system that I'm told is the same style, but even less restrictive (considerably louder).
Here is a link to hear both systems- http://www.jpgroup.dk/images/feed/so...compressed.pdf
As for price- they can both be bought for under $1200. Departstop.com is the retailer I have been in contact with about the system (a great group of people by the way), and before I pull the trigger, if enough people are interested, I'll be happy to organize a group purchase with the owner. I haven't heard an exhaust sound that I enjoy more, and the price is hard to beat.

Ross
Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

just buy fabspeed for under a grand because you really dont want to turn it off. it's just too good and fabspeed is just as good as OEM if not better IMHO.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

here we go again with the fabspeed-PSE comparison......

I have heard that the Fabspeed is a great exhaust if you don't mind the deeper sound....but if you are looking for the throaty raspy Porsche sound you should stick with a PSE....so I have been told by many rennlisters.....I am still very confused....
If Dansk really make the original PSE's it would be great if they have a louder one with the same tone....I don't need the switch, because I want more sounds...but not a deep muscle car like sound
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
I'd love to know why it costs more this year than last year. Usually, as the cars are worth less, the price of parts goes down.
Inflation my man. Even though the government isn't reporting that it's out there, it's definitely out there. Metals are higher (commodities everywhere are) and wages are starting to rise. I'd buy everything you think you need now. Just wait to see what things look like next year.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I have heard that the Fabspeed is a great exhaust if you don't mind the deeper sound....but if you are looking for the throaty raspy Porsche sound you should stick with a PSE....so I have been told by many rennlisters.....I am still very confused....

If Dansk really make the original PSE's it would be great if they have a louder one with the same tone....I don't need the switch, because I want more sounds...but not a deep muscle car like sound
I agree with you: the Fabspeeds sound a little more muscle-car-like while the PSE is raspier and more Porsche-like. I'd really recommend the Rufs, which I love, except they make the prices you guys are talking about sound like chicken feed. The Dansk exhaust is equally excellent. And on a budget, GHL regular (for a cab) or loud (for a coupe) is solid.

And as for the switch, you're right. You're never ever going to use the switch except as a gimmick. My pipes are pretty loud if I get on them, but if I limp gingerly through the neighborhood, they're more than find (let's not kid ourselves: they aren't straight pipes nor cat bypass pipes). Besides, don't forget that even if you do go the PSE route with electronics, you're still going to need to implement the wiresnip-workaround to ensure that the PSE growl doesn't cut out at certain revs (that would be the electronic actuation of those bypass valves in the muffler that you might have seen in some posts).
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Inflation my man. Even though the government isn't reporting that it's out there, it's definitely out there. Metals are higher (commodities everywhere are) and wages are starting to rise. I'd buy everything you think you need now. Just wait to see what things look like next year.
OT, but I wonder if this will affect new car prices (not MSRP, but discounts).
Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Eisenmann is the OEM PSE supplier AFAIK.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Holiday
Hi guys-

Also, they have a "Super Sound" system that I'm told is the same style, but even less restrictive (considerably louder).
Here is a link to hear both systems- http://www.jpgroup.dk/images/feed/so...compressed.pdf
As for price- they can both be bought for under $1200. Departstop.com is the retailer I have been in contact with about the system (a great group of people by the way), and before I pull the trigger, if enough people are interested, I'll be happy to organize a group purchase with the owner. I haven't heard an exhaust sound that I enjoy more, and the price is hard to beat.

Ross
That super Sound is awesome, I maybe interested.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

the dansk exhausts sound pretty good.... ( if found sound clips..and have been driving myself mad..listening to GHL -loud, reg, FABSPEED, PSE, DANSK....and I LIKED THEM ALL!!!)
but in the end the PSE....maybe the soundclip was better....sounds so good.....especially driving away.
GHL is a very close call, Fabspeed is much deeper, and Dansk sounds so close to the PSE's but nobody has ever mentioned them on Rennlist.

Now it is not the money anylonger (except for RUFF's, because I am not going to pay 2K or more!) the cheapest is GHL I guess , 2nd Fabspeed, 3rd Dansk and 4th PSE.

Maybe I just have to go to a Porsche meeting and listen...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Holiday
Advanced

Ok- placed a call to Departstop this morning. The owner is up for a group purchase. Here is the pricing info-

5 sets sold= $875 each (your choice of Sport Exhaust, Sport Exhaust (OEM PSE Style), or Super Sound)

He's told me that he has plenty of both systems in stock. I'm really suprised about the pricing considering I was about to pay $1190 for one (and even that was a good price- they retail for ~$1600)

Just to clarify- the Dansk "Sport Exhaust OEM" IS the PSE system, minus the adjustible butterfly valve and electronics. There were a few different manufacturers of the PSE system throughout the years- I'm told that Dansk produced the majority of them.
The "Super Sound" system is of an aftermarket style, unlike the factory pressed Sport Exhaust/PSE. From the outside, it looks like Fabspeed, etc. (oval shaped). Departstop said they had installed dozens over the years, and that they were about 10-15% louder than the Sport Exhaust system. Said that the interior noise was about the same for both systems.

I'm in for sure and will set everything up if others want a set. Just post here or PM me.

Last edited by Holiday; 04-19-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holiday
Ok- placed a call to Departstop this morning. The owner is up for a group purchase. Here is the pricing info-

5 sets sold= $875 each (your choice of Sport Exhaust or Super Sound)

He's told me that he has plenty of both systems in stock. I'm really suprised about the pricing considering I was about to pay $1190 for one (and even that was a good price- they retail for ~$1600)

I'm in for sure and will set everything up if others want a set. Just post here or PM me.
Sorry but I gotta ask..........any gains with say the "Super Sound"??

Quick Reply: PSE group buy...anybody interested??