996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:18 PM
monabaker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Warning, the following post will contain some venting, but you have my complete oath, there will be no exaggeration and everything you hear is the 100% straight truth. I am about to name names……

As I have made clear in several past posts, I have been on the search for a 1999-2000 996 coupe, with aero-kit. I have had little luck but finally found one at a use car dealer called Auto Showcase Motorcars, in Baltimore Maryland. They are located at 4010 West Northern Parkway, Baltimore, MD. 21215.

It was actually a 1999 Carrera 4, which can be viewed online, at their site, by visiting: http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...AA2997XS625881

The asking price on this car when I called and spoke to the salesman named Ted was $36,900 with 54,xxx miles. Clearly, the interior color isn’t spectacular, but the car does have some nice aftermarket 19 inch rims, sitting on some 315mm rear rubber. I was able to agree upon a purchase price of $35,900 assuming the car passed a PPI to my satisfaction.

I was rest assured by the owner of dealership named Dave that this car would pass a PPI without any problem and that he was so confident that it would pass, he offered to pay for my airfare home back to Boston, Ma. if it did not pass. I asked for that in writing, in an agreement to purchase agreement, to be signed, and faxed to me, twice, and it never was.

I made arrangements with a local Porsche dealership called Len Stoler. He can be located at 11275 Reisterstown Road, Owings Mills, MD. 21117 or at www.lenstoler.com Their service manager is a gentleman named Mo, who was very kind and helpful on the phone with me trying to play how/when this PPI could happen.

I asked Dave from the dealership to have the car brought over there for the PPI, which I had no problem paying for at a flat fee of $225, at which point, if it passed, I would fly down for a test drive, with check in hand, and if pleased, buy the car, and drive it home. Dave refused to take the car over because he said he was concerned about the $8000 rims it had. I suggested that he have it taken over and back on a flatbed and he also refused.

He again said, that if I came down, I could take it over there myself for the PPI, and if it didn’t pass, he would buy my airfare home. I made arrangements to fly down on Wednesday, March 29, 2006. Ted, the salesman at the dealer picked me up at the airport at 9:00am and we drove back to see the car at the showroom. It looked virtually perfect. One sport looked as though it might have been repainted, otherwise, the car was pretty amazing.

I was not allowed to drive the car to the Porsche dealer as told on the phone, but instead, their sales manager Mike drove me, and Ted followed behind in his personal car with my father, who also came to keep me company for the day. Once at the dealership, the car was looked at by a Carrera GT certified mechanic and was not on the lift for 10 minutes when I was called into the garage. My father followed, as did sales manager Mike, and salesman Ted. The mechanic, Sid, who was extremely knowledgeable, detailed a few things to me right off the bat:

1. The car is not a Carrera 4, even though badged as one, and advertised on their website, and I was told over the phone, it is actually a Carrera 2.
2. The entire car has been repainted at some point
3. The rear main seal was leaking, and needed replacement. (Est. Cost $1200)
4. The front breaks needed new pads and rotors (Est. Cost $850)
5. Needs new mass air flow sensors (Est. Cost $1200)
6. Airbag had been replaced at some point.
7. Needs new cam covers (Est. Cost $600)
8. Tires are not Porsche approved

I made it very clear to Mike, the sales manager I was extremely unhappy with this result. My father said to forget the whole idea right now and walk away, but I was entertaining the idea of seeing if they would fix some of these things, and lower the price by, a large amount. Mike called Dave and informed him of what happened, at which point they said to me, “well, how much do you want to pay for it.” I told them that’s not how car deals work, and that they made a guarantee to me about this car passing or paying for my flight home.

I said, listen, we can talk about a new price, after you fix the following stuff, or forget the whole deal. Take me back to the airport, and pay for my tickets home. At which point, I wanted to make sure the guys at Len Stoler were paid for their time, they were very nice, and helpful. I went to the cashier to pay for the inspection, and when I returned, they were gone! Not like, in the next room, but took the Porsche, took the other car, and flat out left!

I called Ted on his cell, which was clearly off. Then called Dave, the dealership owner. He said that he didn’t know where they went (BS), and that he wasn’t paying for my flight home, nor giving me a ride back to the airport, and hung up on me shortly there after.

I am truly at a loss at this point. I called the Baltimore police but they were of little help. One of the technicians at Len Stoler offered to take my father and I back to the airport, which was extremely nice of him, at which point, we booked our own flight home and left.

I have considered the following courses of action:

1. I must now file a claim with my credit card to get my deposit of $500 back.
2. Call the Better Business Bureau and file a formal complaint.
3. Call the Maryland RMV and file a formal complaint.
4. Call the Attorney General of Maryland and file a formal complaint.
If anyone has any other ideas, or recommendations, please let me know. What you have just read is literally, the abridged version of what happened. I am so upset it is impossible to describe.

I had to call my insurance agent, undo all of that. Call my bank, undo all the loan stuff. So much work which was done now was all for a waste, and now I need to start all over, and look for another car.

AHHH!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
searching4996
Racer

Now this story truly boggles the mind. They just left you at the Porsche dealership after you flew all the way down there to buy the car? I doubt you'll get much satisfaction from the legal system here, but that has got to win the award for the cheesiest used car dealer story I've ever heard. I live relatively colse to their facility, want me to egg their car inventory?

Those fellows have had a lot of low priced Porsche's for sale in the past, now I see why.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Ohh, man that is gruesome and the some!

I don't know what will come of your contemplated efforts (other than the CC backcharge) unless you have lots of paperwork...

The false advertising may fly but not result in anything for you though short of a civil action.

I do hope it resolves to your satisfaction.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple things...first you should have gotten everything in writing before going there. 2nd..it looks as if the rims are not the right size and the rear tires are too big. Rear main seal is a common problem, so are the MAF sensors...Porsche approved tires are not that big of a deal either, most 19" tires in Carrera sizes are not. the price sounds about right for a car needing those items...You have 2 choices, pay a litte more for a Porsche dealer reconditioned car which will need absolutely nothing or buy private party and expect to do some repairs. Buying from these small sports car boutiques usually ends bad....The cars sometimes are rebuilds or auction cars and there is no guarantee on anything. Sorry about your misfortune and good luck finding a car.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM
monabaker
Pro

Yes, please egg, key, and urinate/defecate, all over everything......Thanks.

Originally Posted by searching4996
Now this story truly boggles the mind. They just left you at the Porsche dealership after you flew all the way down there to buy the car? I doubt you'll get much satisfaction from the legal system here, but that has got to win the award for the cheesiest used car dealer story I've ever heard. I live relatively colse to their facility, want me to egg their car inventory?

Those fellows have had a lot of low priced Porsche's for sale in the past, now I see why.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't they invent baseball bats and knee caps for the resolution of such matters?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

A word of advice to everyone. There are tons of Rennlisters all over the country. It's worth posting here first to see if one of us will go over and check out the car. Moreover, it could then be arranged to take it over for a PPI before you even lift a finger to book a flight. But the final word is to always buy from an authorized dealer with a CPO or a private party that you really seem to trust (warranty remaining preferred). They are so many stories of used car guys doing so many things like this that it boggles the mind that they are still in business. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Hey man, not to be a dick, but to be a dick, here it goes. You get what you pay for! Sorry, but don't always go for the cheap ones and if you do don't be offended when you find out it's a dog.

Now, calling it a c4 when it's a c2, that's funny!!! What a bunch of crooks. Had you shown the pictures, many could have probably commented on the ride height looking strange. Next, the wheels, yuck......................... Airbag, no kidding. Not just a repaint but probably a major crash. Guess what, you can't trust carfax, no kidding. Next, good luck getting your deposit back, sorry. If they went to the trouble of taking the car off market and then shuttled to the dealer for inspection even though it failed, they will feel entitled to the money. Consider yourself lucky and walk away. We can all flame them here for you and I'm sure everyone will steer clear, thanks for being the lamb. Now cheer up, and go back to that red car we pointed out. Pay a little more money but get something that's not junked. I promise, you will save money in the end. C2 called a C4, I'm still laughing on that one............................... Could you imagine being duped on that level, sheesh.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 PM
monabaker
Pro

I am honestily still in shock.....And yeh, that red one up in NH, I would LOVE it, but I just can't afford it. You wanna donate some $$$ to my cause?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Total scumbags, they literally took off when the jig was up. Most of the wear and tear stuff and even the leaks are to be expected. But trying to pass off a C2 as a C4 is beyond belief.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:47 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this sucks, man.
but i feel u need to be careful in future purchase transaction.

1. never leave deposit. if they ask for it. just say" i will pay $200+ for a PPI regardless, that's a much better commitment than a refundable deposit"

2. never book one way flight, unless you are buying a cpo from porsche dealer.

3. never commit anything until you have EVERYTHING you want on paper, i.e. a formal contract.

cheer up, man, last year my Governor said he won't raise tax either.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
dallasboats
Pro

monabaker, if I go turbo, I'll donate my car to your cause! It's not looking good though as I keep searching 355's. If that's the case, I'll have to keep the 911 as my primary secondary fun car! Good luck and take your time, it will come.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:30 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This type of things is the reason people burn down dealerships..or drive cars thru the front window. You are a better man then me, I would have went back to thatr dealership and kick the **** out of someone...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 AM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they advertised it as a C4, file a complaint with your local DMV for "bait and switch." I had an issue with a Stealer a few years back. Got no where with them for awhile. BBB has no teeth so are worthless. As soon as I sent copies of their advertisement to the DMV, it got resolved fairly quickly.
I would imagine if you still have proof you could get them in small claims. At some point though, you have to deal with "how much time is it worth to prove they are idiots?"

I hope you put the screws to them just for mankind in general!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
A word of advice to everyone. There are tons of Rennlisters all over the country. It's worth posting here first to see if one of us will go over and check out the car. Moreover, it could then be arranged to take it over for a PPI before you even lift a finger to book a flight. But the final word is to always buy from an authorized dealer with a CPO or a private party that you really seem to trust (warranty remaining preferred). They are so many stories of used car guys doing so many things like this that it boggles the mind that they are still in business. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
This is very good advice moon. We all love cars here, and there's been many instances of someone on this board who lives close buy checking out a car for a prospective customer. I think 4 of us showed up at HOLT one week when someone out of town was interested in a 993. If you see one you like, post it here first and see if anyone can help.
Don't make yourself crazy over the wasted day and expense, I've been to more than a few car visits where it looked WAY different than the pictures. As for the deposit, if you don't get a commitment to get it back by next Monday let me know. I'm going down to Baltimore on Wednesday anyway, so I could stop by and pick it up. Take your time looking, and if you want my advice stick to Private party sales.

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!