Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:54 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Is it just me? I have a real problem with cars that are sold at auction.

I keep on thinking that if they can't be sold through the normal channels (Private party, New, used car dealer) there must be something wrong with them.
That's a pretty naive view of the auto world. There are a million situations where a perfectly good P-car could end up at an auction.

The most likely scenario is that it gets traded in on a car that isn't a Porsche at a regular dealer, and gets sent to the auction to a more "specialty" dealership.

Another situation, is Porsche credit will run all of the lease returns through dealer auction.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
That's a pretty naive view of the auto world. There are a million situations where a perfectly good P-car could end up at an auction.
The car I wound up with was an off-lease, 4-year old Cab that went to auction, then to a high-end used car dealer in the Dallas area. I found it on autotrader.com. No part of this path to Porsche ownership, if one goes by traditional internet wisdom, bodes well for success.

My car turned out to be low mileage ( less than 32K), optioned heavily (18" wheels, chrome package, full leather, etc), and in pristine condition. I have had no mechanical problems in the subsequent 15 months & 18K miles. The CEL has never come on.

It all comes down to the individual car, and with cars .... as with people .... generalizations are tricky business.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say I did the same with a 5 year off lease Porsche 996 C2 bought by a New York high end auto broker and put up on his website. The vehicle only had 19K miles on it, also had the chromed 18" turbo wheels, absolutely pristeen interior with the exterior a stunning Iris Blue. No chips, dings, or The vehicle is everything I would have wanted, plus the broker paid the shipping, changed all the fluids (brake flush, coolant flush, oil, trans etc), put brand new Dunlops on it and also took care of some minor issues I noticed when it came off the transport vehicle. After reading all the horror stories I consider myself very fortunate indeed. Since then, I've had Alex and James from Sharkwerks do the mods, (which is another GREAT couple of guys and great professional installations) and from now on I just plan on driving and enjoying it. So there are good deals out there....but you have to do your homework and stick with the people who have a good reputation bolstered by happy customers who have left kudos for the broker. I'm really sorry yours turned out so badly for you....but not everyone out there is out to stick it to you. There are honorable dealers and it's unfair to paint all dealers with a generalized negative brush stroke. Chuck
Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 AM
monabaker
Pro

Originally Posted by care4era
man, just put it down to experience and save yourself the ulcer. You sound like a cheap *** getting getting the guy to pay for your flight back if you did not buy it anyway. The guy was nuts to agree to that, so he is a bit of a *** end, but I sort of can see why he disappered when you were not going to buy it
Are you really that stupid? Do you have any idea how things are in the real world? Let's talk about how he bought a lemon, and tried to sell it for 10k more than it's worth, after lying about what it is in the first place, plus all the busted stuff.....You really need to think before you speak.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 AM
care4era
Racer

Like i say, forget about it. Think yourself lucky you did not get caught.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67

The most likely scenario is that it gets traded in on a car that isn't a Porsche at a regular dealer, and gets sent to the auction to a more "specialty" dealership.

Another situation, is Porsche credit will run all of the lease returns through dealer auction.
Here is a quote I found on a BMW site I frequent.
Just another case of someone that treats a leased car as a rental.
While some may get lucky with an off lease vehicle, I view it as buying a car from Hertz

<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher969
I'm not directing my comments at you directly...but I believe it's both morally and ethically more sound to care for anything in your possession as if it was your own, and you planned on keeping it as long as possible. I'm always miffed when I see and/or hear of people who treat something different when they know it will be passed on to another person at some point or another...some even laughing it off how some "schmuck" will inherit their mess. Treat it like your own, and when and if somebody else inherits it, they won't be bothered by another's irresponsible outlook on "pride of ownership." Possession is a form of ownership...one should take pride in that. Just my .02 worth...

Fletch!

I suppose you wash and wax your rental cars as well?

I think there is a difference between not mistreating something, and spending a lot of money doing optional preventive maintenance on a car you are only going to have for a couple years. A good example of this is with oil changes. If I owned my car, I would probably change the oil at least every 5,000 miles just to give myself extra peace of mind. However, since my car is leased, I am only going to change the oil every 15,000 miles. I am not mistreating the car, but I am not wasting my own money doing things to increase the life of a car I am only going to have for a couple years.

<snip>
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately you get what you pay for with 996's. If the price is low, it's for a reason. Better off forgetting about this experience and finding a nice one on a p dealers lot, cpo or not, better yet a pvt sale from a rennlister.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
thewump
Instructor

What card did you use for the deposit? If it's a VISA or MASTERCARD then getting your $500 back is trivial. You don't mention a contract, but even if there was one, credit card companies really don't care.. if you ask for a chargeback you get it.. I know this from being on the merchant side. Credit card companies want to see a signed FedEx or UPS slip that prove that you have taken delivery of something to block a chargeback.. even though in this case that is totally irrelevant. If you used an AMEX card then they have more of an option to fight their case, but still - without shipping confirmation it's tough.

Advice: Apply for a chargeback and keep the details really vague, e.g. "Service not received". If it's a Visa or Mastercard you'll have your money before the shop even knows that it's taken from them.

Keith
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 AM
monabaker
Pro

Supposedly, he claimed that he refunded my card, but it's been two days since then, and I haven't seen it on my online statement yet......Normally that stuff shows up in minutes.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
thewump
Instructor

Charges show up in minutes, credits don't. When you charge a card an authorization hits the card instantly to make sure there is money - that is what you see instantly. With a credit they save the processing power because it's unnecessary. Refunds / credits can take a few days and depends on his processor and your bank.. but this is all good news. If he is BSing you again, "vendor promised refund but not received" is an ironclad chargeback reason, and you don't even have to lie ;-)

Credit card companies don't care who is right and wrong, they just want to move on - and they charge the vendors at both ends for chargebacks. Give it a few more days and you don't see the money go straight to chargeback.

Keith
Old 04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
monabaker
Pro

Keith, thanks for the info, it all makes good sense.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Chart505
Advanced

Auto auctions- it is std practice for dealers to run trades thru the auctions to monetize and rebalance inventory. Most non-specialty dealers are not going to put a P car on the lot if they sell SUVs to soccer moms,etc. A car that has been thru auction means nothing taken by itself.

Off lease- I lease a Jeep Cherokee to keep miles off my M5 and P car. I am not abusing it but not changing the oil every 3k either...I take it in when the service lite comes on. In my mind a simple way to buy an off lease P car with peace of mind is only to buy with up to date service records. Plus, what makes anyone think the same kind of douchebag who has one last joy ride in a leased car woudlnt do it to one he's trading in? Theres only so much you can do, then you have to go with your gut....and checkbook

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!