Sponsored by:

iPod interface - Neo iOn

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 05:58 PM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod interface - Neo iOn

Has anyone added this to their Porsche? I would like to be able to just leave my iPod in the center console and control it from the radio. This looks like it will do the trick. I am wondering what the sound quality is like. The description of the product indicates there are two modes one that locks the menu on the iPod and allows control of tracks and playlists from the radio and one that is called direct mode that allows you access to the menus on the iPod (for this mode they don't indicate if you can at least change tracks).

I currently am using the becker adaptor for aux input and that works fine, but I really want an integrated unit. It only costs around $200 so I will probably just try it anyway, but thought I would see if anyone here had experience with it. Their website is www.mp3yourcar.com.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 03-25-2006, 07:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Why not the Becker Aux-In kit for $25 shipped???
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by krisd
Has anyone added this to their Porsche? I would like to be able to just leave my iPod in the center console and control it from the radio. This looks like it will do the trick. I am wondering what the sound quality is like. The description of the product indicates there are two modes one that locks the menu on the iPod and allows control of tracks and playlists from the radio and one that is called direct mode that allows you access to the menus on the iPod (for this mode they don't indicate if you can at least change tracks).

I currently am using the becker adaptor for aux input and that works fine, but I really want an integrated unit. It only costs around $200 so I will probably just try it anyway, but thought I would see if anyone here had experience with it. Their website is www.mp3yourcar.com.
Kris,

I posted the same question a couple of days ago on RennTech. Apparently, this is a pretty new product. Like you, I would enjoy the ability to control the iPod through the CDR-220 head. It would make a very neat installation.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Dell,

If I understand correctly, the Becker Aux-In cable simply inputs the iPod sound into the Becker head unit for play through the car's audio system. One still would need to have a charging source somewhere, and make all play selections through the iPod itself. That means wires & cables, and the iPod where it can be readily manipulated.

The Neo Ion includes the direct input into the Becker's aux port, and, in addition, supplys DC power and (drum roll), allows all iPod control inputs to be input through the CDR-220 face plate .... track selction, etc. One cable to the iPod, and the iPod itself can be out of sight ... without any need to access it.

Sounds like a neat deal, but pricy at $199
Old 03-25-2006, 09:28 PM
NH911
Intermediate

I just bought one. I'll have it installed within a week or two and I'll let you know how it works out. I have a CDR220 in a 1999 C2.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

The Aux in from the headphones is a HORRIBLE solution as far as audio quality goes. You are going through a $1 headphone amplifier and boosting a signal way past what the aux in wants it to be. Amplified vs. line level...In the process you boost the noise and loose low end frequency detail. The best way is a dedicated DIGITAL input from the iPods digital output....I did a simple A/B test....I have the Kenwood touchscreen and they recently released the iPod control interface...I installed it and for $99 you get touchscreen control of the iPod from the kenwood and you get a digital input from the iPod as well as a power source...Asl long as the iPod is plugged into that, its charging and powered by the car. I hard wired it into my center console. Since I control it from my stereo, no need to see it. So the A/B test...I ran a cable from the iPod headphone out to the Kenwoods Aux in and then connected the iPod interface...I switched back and forth and the difference was astonishing. The iPod interface sounded as good as my CD player, the headphone out sounded like the AM radio...and if the volume wasnt right it either distorted or was not loud enough making lots of hiss....the digital input has no volume control, its line lever digital out...and there is NO noise. Thats a great reason to spend more for a better solution.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe it varies from car to car but I am VERY happy with my current solution for $25........which is 1000x better than the crappy wireless FM transmitter (iTrip).

Just not going to make the $200 jump for the other one. I can think of many other ways to spend $200.....oh like maybe on another track day
Old 03-26-2006, 01:48 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know...I was happy too...until I went to the digital in solution. Now I am AMAZED.....FM transmitter is a joke solution, not worth the money.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 AM
krisd
Instructor

I am using the Becker aux in right now and it works OK. For $200 it would be nice to have some control through the head unit. I did hard wire a 12V outlet inside the console under the radio and am using an adaptor that powers the iPod and uses the line out. I believe that Belkin makes it but don't remember for sure. It also has a built in amplifier so you can adjust the level of the signal going to the radio. This doesn't work well as it picks up engine noise and I will need to pick up a ground loop isolator if I want to keep this setup.

The Neo Ion looks like it will replace the becker plug for the aux in. I do also use the phone input, so I will need to add those wires to the Neo Ion plug, but don't see any reason why it won't work. I read on one of the iPod forums that a few people have had to add a ground loop isolator to the Neo Ion unit because of engine noise but they were having to do some long cable runs as their units plugged into the trunk. Since ours just plugs into the radio I would guess it shouldn't pick up any noise.

NH911 let us know what you think.

Kris
Old 03-26-2006, 02:24 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Newport996,

Where did you get the digital out from the iPod? I was not aware the iPod would pass a digital signal. I was under the impression the dock connection was an analog out (albeit line level vs. amplified) and not digital (does the dock connection output both digital and analog?). I utilize the iPod dock connection by directly patching into the AUX in on the Becker CDR-220. There isn't a DAC between the iPod and the Becker and I it appears the Becker AUX accepts an analog signal with the R/L RCA jacks. I have also utilized the dock out for hooking the iPod directly to my home theater system which is definitely an analog in.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Folks:

I'm sure that the NEO solution is a fine one, but don't get your hopes up, it is just another CD changer emulation solution like the one from Dension. The advantages of these solutions is that they don't tend to have the ground loop whine that is an issue with the other mods out there, and they can use the CD changer transport controls on the radio. Personally, the latter function is redundant to just controlling the ipod from its transport controls, both of them require you to look away from driving to control them, and are equally unsafe. If the 996 had steering wheel buttons to work the transport functions then it might be an advantage. I have a Dension dock on my wife's Audi, and it is great. That car has transport buttons on the steering wheel.

To another point, the iPod does not have a digital audio output, the audio is analog from both the bottom connector and the headphone jack. The headphone jack is amplified, and the bottom connector is a line-out unbalanced signal.

There is a USB and firewire connection on iPods but they are not used for sending audio streams, just file transfer.

The last issue is seeing the song and playlist info on the radio's display. Unfortunately, this requires the radio to support CD-Text, which none of the Becker radios do.

So are these CD changer emulators worth the $200? In my opinion No, because with the exception of being able to control the iPod from the radio, the same functionality can be had for under $50.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
To another point, the iPod does not have a digital audio output, the audio is analog from both the bottom connector and the headphone jack. The headphone jack is amplified, and the bottom connector is a line-out unbalanced signal.

There is a USB and firewire connection on iPods but they are not used for sending audio streams, just file transfer.
OE, Thanks for the confirmation, unfortunately this is what I thought.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Alright, so I just worked on my Becker solution a bit more to see if I could get rid of the engine whine. And the results are PERFECT........that's right, I said PERFECT!

ZERO ENGINE WHINE.

What did I do? I removed the group loop isolator that I bought form Radio Shack (it was junk anyway) and instead bought a nice stereo to rca cable. I bought the following cable http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...ies%2Fct_Id%3E

That cable is 7 ft long and connects to the Becker plug in the back of the radio (you need to by the kit from Becker for $16 plus shipping). I ran the cable down out the passenger opening and instead of running it above the console (where most people seem to run it) I ran it straight out to that area where the glove box would be on the 02+ cars to "store" the extra length of cable and then ran it out along the side of the bottom console (still not seen) and plugged into the top of the ipod. Pics attached. I think the problem is that the area behind that lower consle where everybody seems to store their cabling is picking up the engine whine from the chasis. I figured this out by having my wife drive while I played with cable location and figured out where it was worse and where is was absent

Hope this helps out.
Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Dell:

In this setup is the iPod using the car power or is it running on its battery?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

iPod running on its own battery

Quick Reply: iPod interface - Neo iOn