Sponsored by:

iPod interface - Neo iOn

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
The becker unit does not recognize the AUX input automatically. It must be enabled. There are instructions with the becker mp3/cell phone input. I will have to look at home to find them. However, I think someone posted the instructions on Rennlist or Renntech. If I remember it involves the "tp" button.

EDIT: found the instrucutions.....hold down the "TP" button for about 8 seconds until "Becker 1" is displayed. Turn the tuning **** until "AUX off" is displayed, then use buttons under the arrows to turn AUX on. After you have done that, reboot the radio (turn it off and on) and now Aux will be displayed as an option under the CD menu.
Or you could just look 7 posts before you at #23

Just razzin ya!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Or you could just look 7 posts before you at #23

Just razzin ya!
whoops I never thought to look further up in the thread, when he reported he couldn't get the "AUX" option on the radio to appear.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

In order for the radio to recognize that a CD changer or CD Changer emulator (like the neo or Dension) is connected, the radio must have a signal from the CD changer that it is there. That is the purpose of the pins 7-12 on Connector C of the radio.

Take a look at the Stock Radio/CD changer connector (Connector C, which is the top one) and look at the pins that are in the sub-connector C2 (green), which is the middle one, Pins 7-12. Now take a look at the Neo connector, and verify that there are the same pins active (or inserted) on that connector.

Specifically, pin 7 which is control line for the CD changer, and pin 8 which is a terminal 30, pin 10 which is the CD changer data line, pin 11 clock line, and pin 12, reset line.

Pins 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 should be empty.

Compare that with what you have for pins in Sub-connector C2&C3 (blue) and what color they are.

Connector C1 (yellow)is for Bose, HiFi or an outboard amplfier if you have that installed.

If the Neo connector does not have any wires or wires to different pins in the middle set of connectors, then it will not work with your radio.

Chances are that you do not have a correct Neo connector.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 PM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not have a problem getting to the menu for the Aux-in on/off selector, just wasn't sure if it should be on or off. Tried both without luck.

I do not have a factory cd changer so I can't compare the pin positions with the iPod adaptor. I did see that there were a number of pins in the C2 plug that were being used by the iPod adaptor. The plugs that come with the iPod adaptor plug into both the C2 and C3 plugs on the Becker unit. I did note that the iPod plug for the C3 slot included wires for the line level inputs just as the Becker Aux-in plug that I was previously using. The iPod adapter also included two wires that were in the same pin positions as the phone input on the Becker adapter. Those wires do not run into the iPod adapter so I should be able to hook them up to the Bluetooth audio output just as I did with the Becker plug.

I am assuming that I just got a bad iPod adapter and once I plug the new one in the radio will recognize it as a CD changer.

The only thing I am not sure of is whether to leave the Aux-in turned on or off in the service menu. NH911 said that his audio shop said it should be turned on. Did that work for you and does your radio now have a source option for CDC along with all of the controls showing up for the CD Changer?

Thanks for all your input on this.

Kris
Old 04-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by krisd
I did see that there were a number of pins in the C2 plug that were being used by the iPod adaptor. The plugs that come with the iPod adaptor plug into both the C2 and C3 plugs on the Becker unit.
And which pins on C2 have a wire in them?

The only thing I am not sure of is whether to leave the Aux-in turned on or off in the service menu.
AUX-In must be off for the CDC to be recognized. However if connector C2 is plugged in and providing the proper signals, then AUX-IN cannot be enabled, and the radio defaults to CDC. Given that the radio will not switch to CDC with the Neo cable installed, it is either wired incorrectly, the neo interface module is not powering up, or it is defective.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 PM
NH911
Intermediate

Mine is installed but not working properlly. AUX is on and it recognizes the ipod. THe weird thing is that the words "Becker" now show up on my Ipod and the font and appearance of the screen have changed on the Ipod. The CR-220 says "AUX" but I can't/don't see the name of the song or artist nor can I switch from song to song. I just picked it up at the shop and didn't spend any time with it but perhaps when it was installed they hooked it up to AUX rather than the CD changer output? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:31 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Not familiar with your set-up but here's a...
Stab in the dark if it's like my mife's Volvo ipod kit. it's pretty normal for the ipod to display Becker, BMW, Volvo or whatever the radio/car is. I know that with the volvo kit, it treats the ipod as if it was a CD changer so you have to create 9 playlists that are then read as individual CDs. The name of the songs don't appear in either the radio or ipod display. You can cycle through the songs on each playlist (up to 99 tracks per CD/playlist on the Volvo) and jump from playlist/CD but on numerals show up, no names.
Hopefully this helps a bit.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 PM
krisd
Instructor

I received the replacement module today I will try again over the weekend.

NH911, mine was also displaying the Becker info on the iPod display and using the Aux in on the radio, but I could not control anything on the iPod and also the sound was barely coming through. The info that came with the unit indicates you can control lots of things from the iPod itself and that it will display track and time info on the radio. You are also supposed to be able to adjust the line out put so you can match the other sources on the head unit.

I will report back. At least it is very easy to get the radio in and out! I am very efficient at it now.

Kris
Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 PM
NH911
Intermediate

From the website:

"Will I still be able to control my iPod using the iPod buttons?
The adapter for your Porsche has two different modes. In "playlist mode", the radio will control playlists and track, volume, etc, disabling the iPod interface. In "direct mode" full control of the iPod is gained, your iPod menu system and click wheel are enabled."

I don't see where to change between the two modes. Perhaps this is part of my problem. My wife has the car right now so I can't go and take a look at it. I'll let you all know how I make out.

I am thinking that this item may not deliver what it promises.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 AM
krisd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Orient Express
In order for the radio to recognize that a CD changer or CD Changer emulator (like the neo or Dension) is connected, the radio must have a signal from the CD changer that it is there. That is the purpose of the pins 7-12 on Connector C of the radio.

Take a look at the Stock Radio/CD changer connector (Connector C, which is the top one) and look at the pins that are in the sub-connector C2 (green), which is the middle one, Pins 7-12. Now take a look at the Neo connector, and verify that there are the same pins active (or inserted) on that connector.

Specifically, pin 7 which is control line for the CD changer, and pin 8 which is a terminal 30, pin 10 which is the CD changer data line, pin 11 clock line, and pin 12, reset line.

Pins 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 should be empty.

Compare that with what you have for pins in Sub-connector C2&C3 (blue) and what color they are.

Connector C1 (yellow)is for Bose, HiFi or an outboard amplfier if you have that installed.

If the Neo connector does not have any wires or wires to different pins in the middle set of connectors, then it will not work with your radio.

Chances are that you do not have a correct Neo connector.
Well I am about to give up on this project. There are pins in 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11, but nothing in pin 12. The wire in pin 9 is the largest of the 5. On the other connector there are pins in 13, 14, 18, 19 and 20. The pins in 13 and 14 just have wires connected to them and are not connected to the control module for the iPod. On my Becker Aux-in plug, these are the phone line input.

NH911, I am curious if yours actually works as I am wondering if there is something wrong with my Radio. If I turn the Aux-in on I can hear a very faint input of what is playing on the iPod but have no control of it and the iPod must already be playing when I plug it in. If I turn the power off and back on with the Aux input selected when the power comes back on there is a full signal coming through and it sounds great, but still no control and if I change sources it goes back to the faint sound when the Aux is selected again. However, if I power on and off again while Aux is selected the signal if fine again until I change sources. The Aux-in works fine with the Becker plug!

I hope I am missing something simple here as this is really starting to **** me off.

Kris
Old 04-08-2006, 05:55 PM
NH911
Intermediate

Mine works but I can't control either the Ipod via the click wheel or the radio controls. What a pain! I don't think that they even tested it out on this radio. And, as you mentioned earlier, this is not what was advertised. I'll call customer service on Monday and more than likely send it sending it back for a full refund.

Where did you plug it in? To the C1 socket or the C2 socket? I had mine done at the shop so I am not sure where they plugged it in. It is supposed to emulate the CD changer so I guess it should be plugged into the C2 socket. Let me know. :
Old 04-08-2006, 09:45 PM
krisd
Instructor

It plugs into both the C2 and C3 plugs. If you look at the adaptor there are two plugs connected together. I would really like to be able to store the iPod out of site and still be able to control it. I will end up calling them on Monday and most likely returning it also since I can't control anything on the iPod.

NH911, could you tell me if you can go back and forth between the iPod and any other source and still have sound for the iPod?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 PM
NH911
Intermediate

YEs, I can swtich between AM, FM and AUX and still get sound. There was one occasion where there was a faint sound coming from the Ipod but I turned AUX off and then on again and it fixed the problem.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
krisd
Instructor

NH911, I am assuming you never were able to get the CDC to show up as the source.

I am about to give up on this project, which is against my nature. Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try before throwing in the towel?

The folks at MP3 your car keep saying it is plug and play and I keep thinking I am missing some simple menu command to enable the CD changer input.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by krisd
Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try before throwing in the towel?
Becker AUX-IN kit for $16.

Sorry Kris, that was just too easy. Just razin' ya.

Quick Reply: iPod interface - Neo iOn