Sponsored by:

Struggling with stick vs tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Struggling with stick vs tip

I'm an about to be waiter for a C4S and I'm struggling with the stick vs tip choice. Have driven both, but got lower back ache after driving stick. I'm in good shape, exercise and in my mid 40's. Current car is an Audi S4 with tip. I live in Chicago but have a small commute.

Could poor seat positioning cause it? Would lumbar support help?

Stick feels more natural, but I don't want to spend north of $80K and find that I'm uncomfortable.

Anyone have any good ideas about how I can make the right decision?

MTIA

Le Chef
Old 12-19-2002, 10:09 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely this issue is specific to yourself and only you can figure out if you can be comfortable in the seats with or without lumbar support?

S.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:01 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche aint a Porsche unless its a STICK..IMHO
Old 12-20-2002, 06:33 AM
paul s uk
Instructor

There's no point getting a stick and ending up needing to walk with one!

OTOH I don't see the issue - if you get your seat adjusted right, the Porsche has the most natural driving position of any car I've ever driven and the 6 speed is a joy.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:15 AM
craigg
Instructor

TROLL!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by craigg:
<strong>TROLL!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think so! It's a serious request. At nearly $90K I want to make sure I'm going to enjoy this car, not endure it. I would much prefer to drive stick, but only if I can get comfortable.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Chef,
I strongly recommend a stick!

IMO a manual stick is more like you've plugged yourself thru a 1000mbs optical cable connection with the engine.. A tip is more like 14k Fax bitware.. In other words, you become ONE with the engine, more like the Highlander and his sword!

I used to have the back problems when i first drove it, but after a couple of months they faded away as i tend to adjust the seat everytime i drive it..

Waz
996 C2 99
Old 12-20-2002, 05:48 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the wheel/seat/pedal relationships are the same for both. The Porsche seat doesn't give me back pain (others did). You might want to retry it with the seat upright- a common mistake is to try to be "racy" with the seat back tipped back- this aggravates low back pain. You compound the problem if you tip the front of the lower cushion up, or get far enough back so your elbows straighten.
Lower cushion flat, seat back as upright as possible, seat close enough to the pedals so your knees are bent, and elbows bent as you hold the wheel is the formula for avoiding back pain in a car. I suffered a long time before I figured it out in an 86 300E Benz. AS
Old 12-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mr. Stemer has it right. You want that seatback straight and the seat far enough forward so you can lay your wrists on the top of the steering wheel with your shoulders still resting against the seatback.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:21 AM
WalterU
2nd Gear

I have the Tiptronic. To this day I do not know if it was the right decision. Because I use my Porsche as a business car/tool, the Tiptronic was the more sensible choice on Europe's congested roads. An auto box is so much easier in traffic jams and in town.

The car is much more "alive" with stick shift. If your back problems are the only reason for considering Tiptronic then go for the stick shift. Your back problems have nothing to do with the gearbox and all to do with getting the seat set right for you - viz. the tips above.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:46 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

FWIW, here's my take. When I was driving I had among other cars a 98 993 6spd. Old age plus working the clutch really bothered my left leg and lower back, even tho it was a lot of fun. Our 02 Cab is a Tip and I liked it better for that reason...and you can still have fun with steering wheel buttons. Now if you like to drive the car at it's limits like I used to (when I was young) then there's no substitute for a manual.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a Tip...first time for me as a longtime manual Porsche driver. I'd recommend that you drive both. I don't regret the Tip one bit, by the way.

FWIW, Michael Schumacher doesn't heel and toe anymore, guys.

Quick Reply: Struggling with stick vs tip