Sponsored by:

fabspeed vs PSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:38 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fabspeed vs PSE

I will need to import a sports exhaust and therefore trust your opinion on which sports exhaust is better, fabspeed or PSE. I have heard the fabspeed on their website but never heard the Porsche OEM. I would value your opinion.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Stuart - Check out the thread below. It has multiple sound clips of various exhaust systems. I would recommend that you try to hear them in person before deciding. Most here seem to prefer the oem PSE, FWIW.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=clips
Old 01-31-2006, 08:03 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart_w
I will need to import a sports exhaust and therefore trust your opinion on which sports exhaust is better, fabspeed or PSE. I have heard the fabspeed on their website but never heard the Porsche OEM. I would value your opinion.
what the fabspeed clip does not show is the resonance in the car.

i nick-named my 996 a 'cow'erra due to the distinct sound of mooing when the throttle was depressed at highway speeds

After all the good fabspeed reviews I thought maybe i was the weird one, and that a sports exhaust was not for me. Someone convinced me to give PSE a try and it all worked out fantastic

Its all down to personal taste, ad the fabspeed did sound very good at WOT, just not everything else
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM
emty
Advanced

Originally Posted by stuart_w
get GHL loud. no resonance, better performance and cheaper than PSE. why on earth would anyone pay $2k for a sound enhancement?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My fabspeeds have zero resonance and sound way better than PSE.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Trace to no resonance here either with Fabspeeds. If you're worried about a free flowing exhaust being "too loud" or having "resonance" just get the PSE, it sounds good and is a very safe choice, albeit an expensive one for what it is.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Evad
7th Gear

I had the Fabspeed and it resonated. I switched to the GHL. The sound is great and definately no resonance with the GHL. I was told that the Fabspeed muffler is no more than the Porsche design with less packing. I was curious so I opened the mufflers and compared. They sure seem similar. I guess the louder sound is because the smaller muffler and the packing is not really stainless so it burns away. There was a picture of the inside of their muffler on the Faspeed website but for some reason I don't see it now.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It's on the video if you watch their description of their mufflers. To my eye after watching it, the Porsche OEM muffler and the Fabspeed look NOTHING alike. You should check it out and decide for yourself.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Nothing beats listeing to them in person. I've tried to listed to the clips and compare, but its impossible to decide based on them.

I went with the safe choice of PSE (mufflers only), and I do not regret it at all. Fantastic growling sound
Old 01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Mitty
Racer

The Ruf clips were added back, the links should work again.

-Darren
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what year car you have, you can turn you existing mufflers into a ful time PSE for about $150.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Evad
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nycebo
It's on the video if you watch their description of their mufflers. To my eye after watching it, the Porsche OEM muffler and the Fabspeed look NOTHING alike. You should check it out and decide for yourself.
I just watched the video. The inside of the mufflers I got from Fabspeed were nothing like what is showed in the video. I did not have a complete bend from inlet to outlet. Mine had a plate 3/4 of the way down where to pipes connected leaving an empty space at the bottom of the muffler.

I was surprised to hear Fabspeed speaking so badly of not only competitors but also Porsche. It is deplorable that a company will stoop to these levels for personal gain. It is not like B&B, GHL or Porsche are shoddy companies. I now find it difficult to believe any claims of power or anything else after hearing this.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
faris13
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Depending on what year car you have, you can turn you existing mufflers into a ful time PSE for about $150.

What year do you need to have and what needs to be done?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have any pics?
I've only ever had great dealings with Joe. In fact, I was at his shop last yr picking up some bypass pipes, at the time I had GHL's on the car, he had nothing but good things to say about GHL, he's a class guy.
Faris, all you need is some 5/8" tubing and rudimentary welding skills, simply make an opening in the inlet/outlet then weld the tube btwn, instant PSE.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i have had GHL, fabspeed and PSE. GHL was too tame, fabspeed has a good tone but does have resonance (i got used to it) but PSE is THE BEST PORSCHE sound... raspy with a bark and just sounds mean. PSE sounds how a porsche should sound but the fabspeed kinda tries to make it sound deeper. PSE is heavier than GHL or fabspeed. if i had to do it all over again, i would have stuck with PSE.

anyone with 3.6L oem mufflers just laying around want to give 'em to me

Quick Reply: fabspeed vs PSE