Sponsored by:

'02 Targa Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
vanwinkl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '02 Targa Questions

I've been a lurker on Rennlist for quite some time and am getting ready to make the plunge into Porsche ownership. The 996 (2002+) appear to be great deals right now, so that is what I'm looking into (upgrading from a 350z).

I found this car and looked at it this afternoon - http://my.autorevo.com/Revo/Template...=17003&AID=174

the car seems to be in very nice condition (I'd have to have a PPI done, of course) and the price seems good. I'm not specifically looking for a Targa, but I like the way this car is optioned.

My questions are -

1. I noticed a number of creaks from the rear area (seemed to be near where the c-pillars meet the body, or maybe from the hatch opening). Do all Targas do this? Is it fixable? Maybe the rubber seals need some cleaning or greasing?

2. I live in Texas - does the Targa turn into an oven in the summer? Even the sunshade is semi-transparent so it seems like it would get hot.

3. Recommendations for conducting a PPI in the North Dallas area? Would you trust a dealer to do this?

4. How reliable is the Targa-specific equipment? Seems like a lot of motors and switches in the roof area (even the sunshade is motor driven!)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Seth
Frisco, Texas
Old 01-27-2006, 05:45 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Targa. It's really nice to be able to open and close the roof on the fly. I open the roof when I leave home, drive for several miles on the backroads, close the roof for the highway, then open it again for the last few miles to work.

I think it's a great car for most people unless:
You want the full open air experience of a cab
You want to use if for serious track duty, in which case a coupe is better

The car you're looking at is equipped similarly to mine, PSM is a big plus, in my opinion.

In answer to your questions:

1) I find my Targa quieter than any cab I've ever owned, but I do have the occasional creak, especially when going over curbs. My dealer once did a lube/tightening session which reduced the creaks, but did not entirely eliminate them. I consider them a small price to pay for the glass top experience. I think the creaks are as likely from the hatch as they are from the roof. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cayman has a few creaks.

2) I don't know. Our weather isn't as hot as Texas, and I park under a roof at work in the summer. I suggest doing a search; some people in warm climates have said the greenhouse effect is an issue, others have said no. The great thing is that if the car is hot after being parked, you can have the whole roof open in seconds, which really vents the car fast.

4) I've found the mechanism for the Targa very solid and reliable over almost four years and 25K miles.

Have fun shopping.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Hey Seth, fellow Frisco citizen here. Welcome, don't forget pictures if you end up with the car.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Targas look great in Seal Grey too - miles are a bit on the high side, and the drivers seat is showing some wear. The creaking could be what CAF is talking about, but with 16,000 more miles, it could be getting worse.

That car should be in the low 40's, based on mileage.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

The car looks nice in the pictures. Hopefully you have looked at it in person. If not, pass. You really don't want to buy a vehicle on e-bay sight unseen.

Looks like the drivers seat has been sat on for the past 40k miles, while the passenger side has not. Nothing unusual.

Don't forget that the tires will have to be replaced real soon...about $1000-1200.

The road rash on at least two of the wheels sucks. Try to get the dealer to give you some good ones, or deduct the price of the wheels from the asking price.

Although the Targa's are neat cars, they do not have as good of resale as the others. Buyers market is too limited. If you really don't care about the Targa aspect, then go get yourself a Coupe with a sunroof.

Good Luck,

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 01-27-2006, 11:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Creaks are extremely easy to fix in the targa. Basically, there are three steps to check. First, check to see that all of the hardware is tight (e.g., the bolts on the hinges at the top of the hatch). Second, apply lubricant to rubber areas (e.g., BMW Gummiplege works well). Third, if the first two don't work (and they always have for me), check the adjustment of the automatic latch at the bottom of the hatch.

I didn't want a Targa when I bought mine. Now I can't imagine life without it. Truly, the best of both worlds (e.g., cab and coupe).
Old 01-28-2006, 03:28 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Had an '02 targa as well and loved it. Very unique car.

1. Creaks and rattles are not exclusive to the targa, all 996's creak. TD in DC makes a good point on what to check for help eleminate the creaks.

2.I'm in Bahrain and it's hotter than Texas! Lived in Austin for 13 years so I can tell. It does get hotter in the targa than any other 996 but not by alot. The retractable sunshade works wonders. I also tinted my windows in a very light, heat reflective tint that made it alot cooler.

3. No idea, how about contacting RUF of Dallas and seeng if they offer the service.

4. Never had a problem with the top or retractable sunshade.

By the way caf, the Cayman S is very solid. Nearly two months now with no creaks.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
simplysql
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '02 Seal Grey as well - wonderful car - no problems with the targa - had a switch go out on the back hatch but it was easily replaced at the dealership - best car I've ever had!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Seal Grey Targa as well. I love it. I'm in SC so I shared the same "heat" concerns. I honestly believe my buddy's black C2 coupe gets hotter in the sun than my car. The air conditioner on mine works very well. I have no reservations at all about my choice of car.

Good luck with it.
Dwayne

Quick Reply: '02 Targa Questions