Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

does depreciation bother you on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:03 PM
care4era
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does depreciation bother you on a new car?

My P car was bought about 16 months old and I saved 35,000 euro (42,538.96 USD) on the new price. I could have bought a new one no probs but being a businessman I like a deal. The first years depreciation is just too much and would rather buy a 1 year old car.

How about you new car guys? Either you are so rich you do not care or you are not as you get some tax incentives etc, or you just like that new car feel?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would have purchased a very slightly used car, but the C4S Cab was first introduced when I was looking so there were no pre-owned ones.

If you can find a pre-owned car that has all the options you want, why not?

Otherwise you don't purchase a Porsche because it's a sound investment.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If you can find a pre-owned car that has all the options you want, why not?

That's an excellent point. If I buy a one year old 997 and pay $10K less for it then when it was new, is it still a great deal if the 997 isn't my first choice with respect to interior and exterior colors or the way the car is optioned? So I guess the real question is how much is the buyer willing to pay for a car that meets 100% of his requirements. Of course the best of all worlds is to find a used Porsche in great shape that is equipped exactly the way you like, and in the interior and exterior colors that you like.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
thewump
Instructor

If I had a business which I could right off 100% of the car against I'd lease new, but I don't. I look at a car as something that ties up cash. I couldn't plonk down $90k cash on a car today that would loose me a massive percentage in the next 2 years.. that would hurt too much.

Like riad says though - I probably would if I just had to have a certain car, and that's the only way to get it, but for me buying used is more about bang for the buck.

If someone gave me enough cash to buy a new 997, then my mind would go.. hang on, I could get a 2 year old 996 TT which seems like a no brainer to me.

Keith
Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thewump
If someone gave me enough cash to buy a new 997, then my mind would go.. hang on, I could get a 2 year old 996 TT which seems like a no brainer to me.
I was in this situation. A new nicely optioned 2005 997S for $90k or a 2001 TT extremely well optioned with 22k miles for $69k.

Of course I bought the TT....my momma didn't raise no dummy
Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am with riad yet again on this one,I looked for a few months for the perfect car, every option , and the colour combo, believe it or not it was not out there when i was looking. I ended up ordering one knowing that i was going to take a hugh hit. I enjoy the car every time I drive it, and don't think about it.I do not regret it for a second
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I can't take the hit. I just can't. What is 90k today is 60k in 3 or 4 years, and that ain't chump change.

I was at the "Porsche Experience" today at the LA Autoshow, and looking at all those 997's for 90 and 100k, knowing they'll be dropping like rocks the first few years. I don't get it, I really don't. You get a buzz on the new car for about 3 days, then it doesn't matter whether it's 3 days or 3 years old, as long as it was well cared for.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 AM
care4era
Racer

It is ok for me to compromise. I wanted and awd drive for the winter so that is what I went looking for. I also found a really good deal, so the stinge factor kicked in and I did not really care too much about the options, although I got lucky with satnav, phone,psm etc.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:39 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

all my car were 2nd hand (with full service history - warranty)

2-3 years old....

i am pretty sure i saved $$$$ (euros to be more precise...)

i always had warranty (so nothing to worry about) and concerning the option list of the car i was always lookin for things that cannot be retro-fitted such us psm on later cars, (or litterally retro-fitted i.e. navigation).

colour comb & model of course were the first to choose without any later changes....

if you spend time on searching th ideal for you car i am pretty sure you will find it....and having in mind that you are saving loads of $$$$.....it is really worth it.

for people that think that brand new cars are totally different that 2nd hand cars i partly agree....

but i have also in my mind that even if you order a p-car with specified option list so that it will be the ideal one, you will still need to wait3-6 months for del. depending on country .....

i would spend this time 2-6 months searchinh for a second hand.....

p.s. i am talking as a person that can afford a brand-new P-car. people that cannot afford one is a totally different situation and it is one-way solution....in the end we all belong to the p-familly.....

i have laso in my mind that there is not really a good reason loosing such a big amount of money on depreciation over the first years.....unless you like the procedure going to an official centre talk to saleman, ordering a car and being one of the first to drive brand new models....

agaqin this is another option.....
Old 01-07-2006, 11:38 AM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Having been in the car business for too much of my life, I only buy used if possible. If it is just an everyday daily driver that I plan on keeping for the next 5-10 years like my wifes car, then I will sometimes buy new. But on high ticket item, like a P-car, I think for a 20-40k savings, I can easily find a car to suit my needs.

Another thing to give some thought to, if you buy used, think of all the money you have left over to modify your slightly used ride? Another advantage to buying used, you normally don't have to wait around for that first ding, scratch, or rock chip that too many people are so **** about.

Nutbeem, that new P-car will be worth about one half of retail in 4 years.

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought my 99' 996 for about 40 cents on the Dollar. While i like new cars i usually choose used just for that fact. Plus we have had about 9 cars in the past 3-4 years. Normally we can get out of them even or less 10% when we tire of them. I am not a big fan of leasing since i don't have an overwhelming need to have a new car. I would rather have interesting ones.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 PM
mtb968
Instructor

Don't forget, if you get a 1yr old CPO car, you get more warranty than if you bought new. It's a no-brainer for me- as long as you can find the car you want (and you usually can).
Old 01-07-2006, 06:32 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

does depreciation bother you on a new car?

Not until I sell
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Mike, I feel for you.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Agreed with most of the comments above. I think it's also easier to get into a used p-car than lets say a benz or bimmer, because usually porsche owners take very good care of their cars. Not to say Benz/bimmer owners don't care of their car, because they do, but the run of the mill cars are usually filled with high miles, noticable wear and tear and the cars LOOK like they've been used. You can easily find 3-4 year old p-cars with very little mileage, great condition and have excellent service/history records.

Quick Reply: does depreciation bother you on a new car?