Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

does depreciation bother you on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, a little thread drift, but I kind of like the idea that I did not have to dread putting the first stone chip or nick in my car and feeling guilty about it. A used car can give a bit of mental freedom, at least until the warranty expires!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to differ, nothing beats new, I don't give a crap about depreciation. I won't pay that kind of cash for anything used.
I'm the only one that's ever sat in/ ate in /etc in my 90k car, can't beat that. Don't buy a Porsche as an investment boys, it's a toy, a very nice toy, but a toy none the less.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:51 PM
ac4sdrvr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with the C4S Surgeon. Nothing like buying a new car as special as a Porsche. I'm serious about my cars and am very picky. When you buy used you never know how bad the car was abused. No doubt about it, sports cars get driven hard. My car is perfect (2003 C4S). Optioned with everything I wanted. Besides, the bulk of depreciation is in the first two years and I plan on keeping mine for several years. So the depreciation is not so bad when spread out over several years. Plus, in my case, C4S's hold their value better than a standard 911.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:42 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said I will buy new, I like being the one that breaks it first!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:10 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you reward youself with a porsche, wouldn't you really rather have a new one?
Remember, 'pay yourself first', like Trump says.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Well, there you go - it was looking pretty good for the used guys, then the new guys came on strong.

It's a good thing too - without Kilgrit and Surgeon, Porsche wouldn't have any need to keep building the best cars in the world!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I can put an order down for a new 997 TT and not need to finance it, but I won't.

I don't think i will ever buy a new car - 30-40% depreciation in 3 years is not an asset - its a liability

I donlt come from old money and i've had to work for evey penny i have (and i'm still young), so wasted cash can be spent on investments that appreciate
Old 01-08-2006, 05:49 AM
care4era
Racer

Yeah, thanks guys. Lucky you new car buyers are here otherwise there would be no second hand ones.

Most of the time you are going to lose money on a car. For me I got a great deal 6k under the next cheapest i could find ( still do not kmow why), so i guess when I sell this year it will be for the price i bought it for for a quick sale.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes now - maybe not later in life - what do I mean? I have a two year old and the 529 plan eats up a lot of money towards college later. We need a bigger house, a second child is on the way, and we are investing to grow our business. Therefore, getting a car that stickered in the low 80s for the mid 40s (and it came with a warranty) allows me to sleep better at night. However, if all goes as planned, once my kids (second one on the way) are done with school, I don't need to buy a bigger house, and I'm later in my career, I don't think I'll care too much about depreciation.

We have an SUV and a sedan that we bought new, but the Porsche is a luxury, so I couldn't justify going new because of the depreciation we would experience. I think you're justified if you do care about depreciation, and you're fortunate if you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:04 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

and we are investing to grow our business.

You could be a great candidate for a Porsche lease. You could then have a great tax write off for your business.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want everyone else here to go right out and buy a new Porsche RIGHT AWAY. I'll just stand over here and.. sing a little song, hum to myself, draw some doodles, etc., for about... 3 years.... thanks. bye. thanks.

Seriously, I could... theoretically... buy a new one. But I won't. I'm old school. I own all my cars outright. I pay cash. I couldn't do that with a new Porsche... so I won't buy one. I'd need to make payments... PAY INTEREST on a LOAN!!! ... can't do it.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Unfortunatley, I am not liquid.

I found almost exactly what I wanted ($116,000 sticker and I paid $64,000 just 39 months and 22,000 miles later with an extended 2 year CPO warranty). The math was simple for me. I was looking at well over $100,000 for a new C4S Cab and for me, that was a stretch.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
searching4996
Racer

There's been some great arguments made for both sides. Since I'm a used fan, thanks to all the guys who take the first leap new, without which many of us would not be able to drive these terrific automobiles
Old 01-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Sorry to differ, nothing beats new, I don't give a crap about depreciation. I won't pay that kind of cash for anything used.
I'm the only one that's ever sat in/ ate in /etc in my 90k car, can't beat that. Don't buy a Porsche as an investment boys, it's a toy, a very nice toy, but a toy none the less.
Ditto...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:36 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not rich so don't characterize new car buyers as such or fools with our money. I know that was not the intent of your thread.

I bought my car new because I like new cars. It is not my only Porsche and won't be my last. Will I buy new again? Maybe. It all depends on what I want out of my next car and whether or not that will be air cooled or water cooled. Depreciation has never been on my list of things to consider when making a purchase decision. That's probably why I'm not rich!

What's most important is that we are all in the same make, appreciate how we got here, and are passionate enough to spend time on a computer sharing our opinions, experiences and questions with fellow Porschefiles.

Quick Reply: does depreciation bother you on a new car?