Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

does depreciation bother you on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
.... If I buy a one year old 997 and pay $10K less for it then when it was new, is it still a great deal if the 997 isn't my first choice with respect to interior and exterior colors or the way the car is optioned?.....
It's interesting also because the year old 997 might cost more than a new one. How do I figure? 10k less than sticker is only $6k more than a typical 4k discount for a new car off sticker and if you have to finance the car, like many people do, you won't qualify for the low interest rate of a new car which can often be 3-4% and will have to pay used car financing which is commonly 10%. On expensive cars like Porsches, the difference in finacing rate over the life of the loan can be another $5k. Plus you have one year less warranty and when people are paying thousands for extended warranties, one year less is worth $500 to $1000 bucks. Plus like the carfax commercials say, people do strange things to cars and while many people have good experiences with buying a used car normally a used car is damaged in many ways often imperceptible to the used car buyer. If it's an amazing deal, it might be ok, but it usually isn't and it is always a gamble unless someone knows the seller and the car's history.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's the beauty of capitalism: everyone can buy what they want so long as they can afford it.

You like new and want to pay a premium for that new car feel? Good on you. That's what it's all about. Nothing smells finer than NEW (coming from a guy who has had many new cars in his life).

You don't like the idea of depreciation and buy a used car in good condition? Good on you. That's what I did just this past September: a 2000 cab with only 5000 miles that was brand new looking.

It's not a rich man poor man thing. Many guys with lower incomes must have that NEW smell because it's what they are working for. Why the hell else are we working so hard? And, on the contrary, many fabulously wealthy guys go USED because they like a good value.

So, work hard. Drive harder. Live baby, live.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:54 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depreciation? I bought my 996 new in 1999 for about $72k. Seven years later it's worth $75k. Maybe $80K. I love these cars.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Depreciation? I bought my 996 new in 1999 for about $72k. Seven years later it's worth $75k. Maybe $80K. I love these cars.
You forgot to total in all your mods... tsk, tsk.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
Here's the beauty of capitalism: everyone can buy what they want so long as they can afford it.

You like new and want to pay a premium for that new car feel? Good on you. That's what it's all about. Nothing smells finer than NEW (coming from a guy who has had many new cars in his life).

You don't like the idea of depreciation and buy a used car in good condition? Good on you. That's what I did just this past September: a 2000 cab with only 5000 miles that was brand new looking.

It's not a rich man poor man thing. Many guys with lower incomes must have that NEW smell because it's what they are working for. Why the hell else are we working so hard? And, on the contrary, many fabulously wealthy guys go USED because they like a good value.

So, work hard. Drive harder. Live baby, live.
Absolutely !!!

I love buying new cars... But I have bought used... A 97 993 in 99 with 1800 miles on it...

I think the reason these threads go on.. Is that EVERYONE knows that as an investment, these cars are bad/not investments... So you just live with the depreciation and have the newness of the car... Or let someone else pay a portion of the depreciation and buy used... Either way everyone gets what they want and we all wind up happy in the end...
Old 01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
peachboy
Racer

Does depreciation bother me : no
Would I prefer not to suffer it : you bet
Does anything beat the smell of a new car : no
Is that smell the world most expensive perfum: yes
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
thewump
Instructor

Originally Posted by nycebo
Ahem.. some of us are in the US. Here capitalism is all about buying whatever you want, even though you CAN'T afford it. ;-)

Keith
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you will never sell the car then it doesn't depreciate right?

for some people buying new is worth a whole lot but i couldn't take the 30K depreciation hit. more money for MODS

i couldn't care less if i was the 1st owner let alone the 5th but i do miss the new car smell is that woth 30K? don't think so . is it a collectors item? NO. as long as it is in tip top shape then you are good to go.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade often and the used market depreciation is not hard to take. Drive several great cars over 4 years instead of 1. Besides, filling out an order sheet or picking something close to what you want on a lot is easy, not much fun. Searching the net, various lots, going to look at and test drive cars, that's the fun. I think the thrill of the hunt is more the the thrill of owning the car over extended periods. I know most don't think like me, but I could be on Barry Meguires' show because, and my wife will attest, I'm Car Crazy.

Bill
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thewump
Ahem.. some of us are in the US. Here capitalism is all about buying whatever you want, even though you CAN'T afford it. ;-)
Wow, that's scary true...
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default Depreciation graphs?

Talking of which, can anyone point me to depreciation graphs of
a variety of 996s? I saw them for other models and car makes,
though I can't recall where I saw it (consumer reports?).

What was interesting was that after some time the value of the
Porsches eventually leveled out at a fairly high value, opposed to
most other makes that suffer a 5 to 10 fold decrease in value.

Porsche claims that 3/4 of the cars that they ever made are still on
the road. The high value of P cars may also mean that owners
find it worthwhile mainintaining them. Why put 5k into an old car
that's only worth 3k?.

The depreciation numbers of course do not include the cost of
maintenance. Perhaps depreciation + maintenance costs may put
P cars in the same boat?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

of course 7 years later 75k isnt the same as 75k before, but i'm curious how you figure a 99 996 is worth 75k?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mods perhaps.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think this is a money thing, I understand why to buy used and I understand why one buys new, really it doesnt matter as long as you drive a Porsche...When I see one I dont think to myself .." hum I wounder if he bought new?" I dont like to think about the money i could loose, but my happiness is worth more them money,so if saving money makes one happy go for it, if spending your money maks one happy then go for it!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
used car financing which is commonly 10%.
I can't imagine ever paying anywhere near 10% on anything! I got my '03 996 for 5.29%, and only because it went up from 4.49% after the december rate increase.

Oh, and I would be interested in the valuation of the $75k '99 996. Makes my '03 sound like a hell of a deal.

Quick Reply: does depreciation bother you on a new car?