Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 03:06 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dell. It's in the mail. BTW, will you cover shipping charges for me too? Good will and all that. I mean, you want me to buy another laptop from you in the future when my current cpu disintegrates, don't you?
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think it's you guys who are MISSING THE POINT.. we're not arguing that Porsche owes them new engines, or that customer service is the problem here. We're saying that the engine DESIGN is the problem here, and their new philosophy of profits over quality is to blame. Has anyone ever heard of a 993 engine blowing up with fewer than 30,000 miles on it? I would love to hear from ANYONE who has experienced that, and I will shut up.
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by riad
You're Michael Dell?
Sure.
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:08 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
I think it's you guys who are MISSING THE POINT.. we're not arguing that Porsche owes them new engines, or that customer service is the problem here. We're saying that the engine DESIGN is the problem here, and their new philosophy of profits over quality is to blame. Has anyone ever heard of a 993 engine blowing up with fewer than 30,000 miles on it? I would love to hear from ANYONE who has experienced that, and I will shut up.
Saying the 996 engine design is a problem, is very overstated.
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nycebo
Thanks Dell. It's in the mail. BTW, will you cover shipping charges for me too? Good will and all that. I mean, you want me to buy another laptop from you in the future when my current cpu disintegrates, don't you?
Of course! That is how my company makes money.....by good willing EVERYTHING.
Old 01-12-2006 | 06:07 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

what it comes down to apparently is.. the porsche 996 is officially the first porsche in history that is designed to be a disposable vehicle...

Once the warranty is up, sell it, toss it, trash it, give it away to the salvation army... or you're f**ked and dumb for keeping it apparently... while some may think this logic is acceptable, when i'm buying a car that retailed for $100,000 just a few years ago.. i find this unacceptable..

what happens in 2 years when your 996 trade-in/auction value is $19-$22kand the engine blows up and is $13k to fix? $13k to fix it or get $10k from a parts yard for it with the blown engine..... decisions, decisions many of us will have to make in a couple of years..

the porsche 996, the first $100,000 disposable vehicle ever created...
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
what it comes down to apparently is.. the porsche 996 is officially the first porsche in history that is designed to be a disposable vehicle...

Once the warranty is up, sell it, toss it, trash it, give it away to the salvation army... or you're f**ked and dumb for keeping it apparently... while some may think this logic is acceptable, when i'm buying a car that retailed for $100,000 just a few years ago.. i find this unacceptable..

what happens in 2 years when your 996 trade-in/auction value is $19-$22kand the engine blows up and is $13k to fix? $13k to fix it or get $10k from a parts yard for it with the blown engine..... decisions, decisions many of us will have to make in a couple of years..

the porsche 996, the first $100,000 disposable vehicle ever created...
Bob, let me show you why you're wrong...

1) JD Power & Associates rate the 996 very highly
2) The 996 is the best selling 911 in history
3) The 996 is just as high in quality as previous Porsches, you're just criticizing it because you're jealous and you can't afford one (whoops, you already own one)
4) etc, etc

These are some of the pathetic responses you'll get (and I have gotten) for sharing the truth about the new Pcars. Some people are in such denial, they can't accept the reality that's staring them right in the face. Nothing you say will convince them they're wrong -- as far as they're concerned, the 996 is the greatest machine Porsche ever made. It goes to show how easy it is to sell a product based on image alone, with little substance to back it up. People who wanted to impress others by driving Porsche back in the 80s or 90s, but who DIDN'T because they didn't actually like the way it drove... the company has now given them what they want -- a mass-produced luxury GT car that has none of the substance that made the old cars special, but has the right badge on the hood.

The build quality and feel, not to mention the durability and over-engineering of the old Porsches was ditched starting with the Boxster-generation cars, and the company has had such positive reinforcement over that decision (sales way up, profits way up), that I don't think they'll ever return to their old philosophy.
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:42 PM
munro86
Racer

And of course you have evidence of this other than what people might 'feel' in a survey as opposed to the actual reality of all 996's. 'sharing the truth' mmm...a big statement and you can of course establish this utterly objective truth?. This nothing but a subjective piece of waffle presented as the truth. Lame.
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:08 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't believe you guys are still beating this poor thread to death. Don't let pcar get you all excited. He likes to stop over and stir things up. He spends so much time on the 996 board I'm pretty sure he's planning on trading his 993 soon.

The 993 (i owned one) is a fine car but no better than your 996s. It's full of quality issues. Most owners actually carry extry window switches and a DME relay in the glove box. They blow the water out of their a-pillers after a rain storm. They wonder if the inside door handle is going to break off every time you open the door. Great cars but not perfect and we haven't even mentioned the valve guides, wiring harness or steering rack. (I think we would get a better response from Porsche on the RMS issues it it had the word "steering" in it. That must have scared the attorneys into action)

The 996 has it's own issues but overall it's a huge advance. The GT talk is silly. The 996 is much faster than a 993 and sportscars are suppose to go fast. They are also suppose to handle and brake both of which the 996 does better. And don't talk to me about heritage. The 996 R/RS/RSR and cup cars have already built a 996 racing heritage that is far greater than the 993. And they are very close to the cars we drive. I know. I've bolted a whole bunch of RS/RSR parts on my stock 996 race car.

And, I'm not going to be pulled back into this silly conversation.
Jim
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:17 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by munro86
And of course you have evidence of this other than what people might 'feel' in a survey as opposed to the actual reality of all 996's. 'sharing the truth' mmm...a big statement and you can of course establish this utterly objective truth?. This nothing but a subjective piece of waffle presented as the truth. Lame.
You want someone to present "evidence" that the 996 is inferior in quality? The evidence is in your garage pal. Or let me guess, you rely on JD Power to tell you if your car is high quality or not...

Everyone, here we have Exhibit A, the 21st century imasulated man - he trusts what other people say more than he trusts his own instincts. He believes his opinion is only valid if other people are saying the same thing...
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JimB
The 996 has it's own issues but overall it's a huge advance. The GT talk is silly. The 996 is much faster than a 993 and sportscars are suppose to go fast. They are also suppose to handle and brake both of which the 996 does better. And don't talk to me about heritage. The 996 R/RS/RSR and cup cars have already built a 996 racing heritage that is far greater than the 993. And they are very close to the cars we drive. I know. I've bolted a whole bunch of RS/RSR parts on my stock 996 race car.

And, I'm not going to be pulled back into this silly conversation.
Jim
haha, JimB's definition of a sportscar begins and ends with "fast." I guess that makes a new Mercedes SL600 a better sportscar than a 993 also, because it's faster (and faster around a track)? I'm fairly confident a Cadillac CTS-V will beat a 996 around a track also, so I guess the Caddy is the better sportscar...

Your 996 shares ZERO drivetrain and very few suspension parts with a GT3. You're one of the many people fooled by "it looks the same, it's the same car." Yes, and those Nascars are really just slightly modified Chevy Monte Carlos...
Old 01-12-2006 | 09:23 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

whatever happened to scouser? did he finally give up after his 8th rms and sell the car :> since this thread has already been beat to death by most of us when it comes to verbage and assumptions.. why not let scouser with his posts, names and the pictures do the speaking to put the nail in the coffin of this thread.. to each their own.. but for everyone looking to make their porsche purchase. CPO CPO CPO.. if i had only known.. after 2 years? trade it in for another CPO porsche i guess :>

but hey, you can't criticize me for this post.. i didn't make it.. but it is always nice to see picture evidence of what we speak about not just being rumor..

"This is weird. Anyone who has been following my posts on this and other forums will agree that bobporsche has just echoed or duplicated exactly what I have also written. This is just the start of it for Porsche. As this 996 matures the real problems will come to light.
But you guys better believe it, like it not, but believe it, 996 engines are grenading more often than you would like to think. And if they aren't blowing up then they are requiring replacement due to faulty manufacture of the RMS. Below is a picture I took two weeks ago at the back of my OPC when I picked my car up from its 6th RMS! Note that there are at east two other OPCs I know of here in the UK with a bunch of blown engines out the back like this. I also know of 2 two people with 996's with blown engines. Then there's all these postings we read. Even the mags are now discussing 996 engines blowing up ...... and the RMS problem. Tool Pants has even told us several times of his friends Porsche that is on it's 4th engine. What more evidence do you want.

Then take my 996. Had it since it was about 650 miles old (I call that prety much new). Its got a knackered engine block that uses up seals like cigarettes. It's laid up in my garage awaiting major rebuild of my gearbox (or replacement). And it's only done 40,000 miles and serviced by the book.
I am living evidence of bobporsche's statement.

Face it munro86, the real twist is this marque. Your'e just sick of Bob venting off. He's got your back up 'cos you don't want to read what he says. There's no phsycotic issue here just an extremely injured Porsche owner with a lot of steam to vent....and a lot of it is because of comments that you have thrown out at him. I just hope you don't have half the problems he's had come your way. But if/when they do, you bet you will be here venting off just the same.

(Pic below: 3 blown engines sitting in the rain)"

- Scouser
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2006 | 09:46 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
haha, JimB's definition of a sportscar begins and ends with "fast." I guess that makes a new Mercedes SL600 a better sportscar than a 993 also, because it's faster (and faster around a track)? I'm fairly confident a Cadillac CTS-V will beat a 996 around a track also, so I guess the Caddy is the better sportscar...

Your 996 shares ZERO drivetrain and very few suspension parts with a GT3. You're one of the many people fooled by "it looks the same, it's the same car." Yes, and those Nascars are really just slightly modified Chevy Monte Carlos...
As it turns out I have a lot of track laps in a CTS-V. Most riding as an instructor but also a dozen or so driving. When shifting the from third to fourth on the straight the traction light would come on from spinning the wheels. That was at about 100 mph. Crazy. Having said that, the car is much too heavy to be real fast on the track. I'm sure that given similar drivers, both the 993 and the 996 would be faster. Even if they weren't I would define it as a sports sedan and a damn fine one.

Pcar, just for my amusement, tell us what a sports car is and why a 993 is one and a 996 isn't.

BTW, I would never say a 993 isn't. It's a great sportscar. One of the best.

Regarding just looking like a GT3.... Look, the posur's out front!
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:05 PM
Dan V
Race Car

JimB's right: the 993 is just as bad. I had to replace my steering rack ($800 part). I'll probably have to replace it again in 10 years.
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:25 PM
Gary Nelson
2nd Gear

hello i am a new member i bought a 2000 996 62,000 miles everything is running fine ,are there any other 996 owners without engine problems out there with more miles than 62,000.? And what is RMS ?GARY

Quick Reply: Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?