Sponsored by:

Any RMS success stories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 PM
BSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any RMS success stories?

I love my car, I really do -- but this is starting to get to me. The RMS has already been replaced twice and now needs the repair again. This will be the third one within 7,000 miles (2.5 years). The first was covered under warranty and the second was "goodwill" from Porsche because it happened less than 5k miles after the first. This latest episode is happening just 2k miles since the last one was done but my dealer says he can't ask Porsche for another goodwill repair and that I'm stuck paying for this one.

This is frustrating since it now happens once a year after VERY low miles traveled. The car has never been tracked and is driven conservatively.

I know I've read posts about successful RMS negotiations with Porsche on this board in the past, but I can't seem to find them now. Can anyone offer any advice or contacts at Porsche to enlist their assistance in covering this 3rd RMS? Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Letting a car sit as much as you do only encourages RMS leaks in ALL cars. I never store my cars for any length of, but if I did, I would do exactly what I do to my V8 boat engines...fill the crankcase to overflowing to keep the seal soft and flexable. Make sure you leave yourself a note on the steering wheel so you don't start the engine before draining the oil.

After you get it fixed, drive it more and harder. And if you are using 0W40 Mobil 1, stop using it.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop driving the car "conservatively" take it to the track.
In all seriousness, I recently talked about this to the Service Manager at the local dealer, he said none of the cars with the latest Cayenne seal have been back yet....

PS.
1999Porsche911, what are you using for oil?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Eli K
Stop driving the car "conservatively" take it to the track.
In all seriousness, I recently talked about this to the Service Manager at the local dealer, he said none of the cars with the latest Cayenne seal have been back yet....

PS.
1999Porsche911, what are you using for oil?

5w40 in winter and 15w50 in summer. Mobil or Castol.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The secret to a good RMS install :jumper:

I had my RMS fixed in 1999. I store the car every winter for three months. It has been fine. I can't see any validity to the storage issue. The seals are on a round shaft they are made of neoprene which does not "Dry Out". I think there is some art to installing the seal properly. You have to be lucky and get a good knuckle dragger
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the RMS done 4 times now, the last time they used the new seal, so far no leaks and i have had it leak every 5 k, 10 k with the new seal and all is well. The new seal also comes with a new tool so the tech doesnt even touch the seal period, alot of talk has said that it was 99.9% failure because of the tech.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I had my RMS fixed in 1999. I store the car every winter for three months. It has been fine. I can't see any validity to the storage issue. The seals are on a round shaft they are made of neoprene which does not "Dry Out". I think there is some art to installing the seal properly. You have to be lucky and get a good knuckle dragger

Neoprene does shrink. Especially when dry.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

41K,DD, Track, redlined daily, zero RMS.
Porsches need to be rode hard and put up wet!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I have had the RMS done 4 times now, the last time they used the new seal, so far no leaks and i have had it leak every 5 k, 10 k with the new seal and all is well. The new seal also comes with a new tool so the tech doesnt even touch the seal period, alot of talk has said that it was 99.9% failure because of the tech.
There was a good article on RMS seals in Total 911 magazine and they mentioned the special tool to install the new seals. It appeared to be "fool proof" if the mechanic uses it to install the new seal.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appeared to be "fool proof" if the mechanic uses it to install the new seal.
No such thing - someone always invents a better fool.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The latest issue of Pano in the Tech Q&A section had a fairly long article regarding RMS.
Interestingly enough, they claim to be having a high success rate when using the new Cayenne RMS for replacements.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Same as Chris here.....Daily Driver/Redlined daily/Tracked hard and no RMS. Mobil1 0W-40 every 5-7.5K miles. 60K miles and counting! These cars are not supposed to have F-Car type miles put on them. They are menat to be driven hard and often.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't buy for a second the excuse that mechanics have been installing the seals wrong. Short of installing it backwards it is nearly impossible to screw-up and if they install it backwards the mechanic should be fired on the spot. BSC, your problem is not the rear main seal but your engine. If your local service advisor refuses to do anything than you need to escalate the issue to the regional rep. PCNA know exactly what the problem is and they are counting on you to bend-over and take it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I don't buy for a second the excuse that mechanics have been installing the seals wrong. Short of installing it backwards it is nearly impossible to screw-up and if they install it backwards the mechanic should be fired on the spot. BSC, your problem is not the rear main seal but your engine. If your local service advisor refuses to do anything than you need to escalate the issue to the regional rep. PCNA know exactly what the problem is and they are counting on you to bend-over and take it.
Well the truth is they do , not by really making a mistake but by touching it, according to 2 local Porsche techs there is only one way it can go in . I dont buy installing it backwards. You only have one shot to install the seal with the tool, if you miss the new seal is no longer good.I have had 4 done and this one seems to be doing the trick they agree it's the tool that is working. I have done my homework on this, I would have agreed with you once..but not now.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No point in fighting Porsche over this. They warranty the repair and covered it again when warranty was up. You have little ground in making they pay again to fix it.

I'd either trade the car for something else or fork out a grand to get it done. When you pay the job, you'll get a two year warranty.

Honestly, if you only put 7k mi in 2.5 yrs, why do you even bother keeping the car? Sell it so you don't have to worry about it. It's obvious you don't need the car.

Quick Reply: Any RMS success stories?