Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts
Default wHERE TO BUY SMART TOP

Where can you buy the Smart Top?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:11 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There's this new Internet search site called "google". It is really cool. You should check it out. I just typed in the word "smarttop" and I found their website!

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/db/smarttop/
Old 09-17-2005, 07:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
IIRC, wasn't there a rennlist group buy a while back?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Another cool thing is to use the search function of this board and you will see several threads from the recent past where this exact thing was discussed. Come on, post #1 and that was your first question?

A bit of help:
1. Google
2. Search function on rennlist
3. Ad in Excellence
4. Ad in Pano(rama)
Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You would be recalling that correctly LTC. We had about 20 in on that buy.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:25 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an end of summer special till end of Sept. for the SmartTop at renntech.org.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's another site

http://bahntech.com/
Old 09-18-2005, 12:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

But bahntech requires cutting and splicing wires to simulate what the Smartop does.....as well as another hack to allow you to 1-touch while moving without the ebrake engaged.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

I used the bahntech switch in my 01 cab and there was no cutting of anything all they want from you (other than money ) is to get the time it takes for you top to from start (closed) to finish (all the way open). then they put that timming into the processor.It's just pluging the device inline withthe switch, it took me less than 1/2 hr to install it, it worked great and I believe it will show you how to bypass the brake issue. Copy and paste this site to see the Installation.

http://bahntech.com/products/AutoTop...on/default.asp
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe I should clarify. The bahntech device is nothing more than a timed relay that you provide them with the time and they adjust (error on the too long side I assume). I just sits between the cab top switch and the wires that plug into it. To get the true 1 touch on the fly you need to do a hack of the ebrake which requires altering of the original state of the car (not something I want to do). Not that it really is an issue but the timed relay approach will (in the long run) cause the switch to burn out faster since it is engaged longer than necessary since it has to guess how long to depress for you (once again erring on the too long side so as to ensure it is fully opened/closed before the relay timer ends).

The Smartop is much better in my opinion. totally worth the extra coin since smartTOP module directly "talks" to the onboard computer, giving the right signals at the right time while maintaining maximum safety at all times.

Smartop: Plug and Go
Bahntech: same as Smartop but requires speed hack and ebrake hack (wire splicing and cutting) to perform just as the Smartop with the 1-touch on the go.

FYI....the speed hack requires the breaking off of a pin on the speed relay and the bypass of the ebrake requires you to engage your ebrake "1 click" so the brake light illumates.

And the major problem with the speed hack? You can accidentaly lower your top at ANY speed. God forbid the button gets tapped accidentaly at 85mph! No thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

I guess if your in that much of a hurry that you need to put your top up before you stop, you lead too fast a life, you need to relax and enjoy your ride , My problem with the original top switch is that you had to hold it the whole time, the switch that I installed actually ran alittle short on the timming, the windows stoped about an inch befor they should have, maybe they planned it that way so the motor didn't burnout. anyway it worked fine in my car, all I know is that I didn't have to hold the button in for that annoying 17 seconds
Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike C4S
all I know is that I didn't have to hold the button in for that annoying 17 seconds
That is EXACTLY why I got the Smartop unit. And it has nothing to do with a "fast life". Not sure what tone you meant to portray with the quote but it has everything to do with convenience and nothing to do with fast since the time is identical. I just didn't have to hack into the speed relay and risk tapping the button at 85mph not worrying about clicking my ebrake 1 click to bypass as well. To each his own I guess.

The nicest thing about (other than not having to do any hacks) it is if you are at a stoplight and you want to drop the top (or raise) and the light turns green, you don't have to sit there like a jackass till it retracts completely all the while people honking, yelling, etc.

FYI....we (those in the group buy and some even had the bahntech and wanted to "upgrade") got the Smartop for less than a $100 more than the bahntech unit. It's a small price delta to pony up for the difference between doing it right and doing it wrong. No regerts here and this coming from somebody who ALWAYS shops for the best price.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Thats whats great about this forum, like you said to each his own. there was no tone in my statement. some people don't want too ante up with the extra cash, also there is no way you can accidently push the top open, and if you did with the Bahn tech switch all you have to do is push the switch again and it will stop. Porsche made it a point not be able to activate the top with the car in motion for a reason .
Old 09-18-2005, 10:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So true Mike. Totally respect your choice and opinion. I considered the Bahntech but wanted those features that Smartop offered and found that the extra cash was worth it so as not to have to do any hacks. Had I not wanted those features I would have definitely purchased the bahntech.

True about the activation while in motion which is why I like the cutoff on the Smartop at 25mph.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Default Good for you

I'm tight with a buck, so I figured I would save the extra money and go thru with the inconvience of being stoped to open the roof. But thats doesn't matter anymore, because I traded the car and sold the BahnTech switch to a guy in Italy on ebay for about what I paid for it. So anyway do you have any pict's of your car?

Quick Reply: wHERE TO BUY SMART TOP