Sponsored by:

fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:39 AM
gharold
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Used Bypass pipes

I will take the used Fabspeed bypass pipes if they are still available. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:44 PM
ayaz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im confused... you linked back to this thread?

thanks, id have never seen it otherwise! hahaha

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
If you want to give this a cheap try, read the thread HERE.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:26 AM
AsianImage
Racer

any one in So Cal LA area have this done? I would be interested in hearing how this sounds. Sounds like a quick mod...wow.

If I did'nt already have mufflers I may have to try this!
Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Here's the result of my muffler bypass project. I didn't want to throw down 6 bills or whatever it is currently for the Fabspeeds, but have decided I want 40-50 lbs less on the car at the track, so I ordered two 90 degree stainless steel mandrel bends from Summit Racing and two Magnaflow polished stainless double wall round tip (both in 2 1/4") took them to a muffler shop and had them barely flare the end that goes onto the cat and weld the tips on(not a great job on the welding). I finished them with the angle grinder with 3M scotchbrite velcro pads and voila.... two pounds a piece and a total of $140 all told. So you can get something nicer than the Pep Boys version without too much trouble.
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2006, 04:56 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! It's amazing to see how much things are overpriced.

I am interested to see if a glass pack muffler could be plumbed in there somewhere to help control the sound.

I think going open will be too loud for me.

thanks,
Amir
Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I toyed with the idea of using a glass-packed tip like the one's Monza make, but don't like their look so much and I'd imagine they're a bit heavier and that could be a problem as the bypasses are unsupported.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:08 PM
delirium
Racer

i was thinking of putting a supertrapp on in some sort of bypass method, but I dont think it will work. Supertrapps have adjustable backpressure & sound.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
I ordered two 90 degree stainless steel mandrel bends from Summit Racing and two Magnaflow polished stainless double wall round tip (both in 2 1/4")
How would the 90 degree bens look by themselves? Did the tip add much to the appearance? (This would be an "at the track" change for me, so appearance is not high on the list.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
JES1680
Instructor

Hmmmm.. Glass packs. Not sure if they make them in large enough diameter, but you could get some baffle inserts for motorcycle drag pipes. Harleys old Triumphs etc... They are metal baffle inserts that have a set screw to secure them. You can also wrap them with fiberglass mat to mellow the sound. If I get some time this winter I'll make some up as I've got some extra baffels from my 72 Bonneville that I'm not using.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
How would the 90 degree bens look by themselves? Did the tip add much to the appearance? (This would be an "at the track" change for me, so appearance is not high on the list.
Without tips they look kind of bad (IMO) because the cutouts in the bumper are pretty big, so to get the pipes somewhat centered in the cutout you have to angle them upwards as they exit the rear of the car. Either that or they look like they don't fit the back right (too low). This is coming from a somewhat critical viewpoint. Would I run them with no tip at the track? Sure. Was it really easy to put nice tips on them? Yes.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple things. Forget Supertrapps. We tested them on my racecar in hopes of getting back some of the torque we lost when we went to straight pipes. I'm not sure I still have the dyno charts but it was terrible. We lost a ton of hp and torque. The quality was just as bad.

Don't forget to add some sort of set screws to keep your pipes from falling off at the track. This is covered somewhere in this thread.

Finally, for the track, I think going tipless is the only way to go. You'll never find a race car with tips.
Jim
Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

supertrapps don't work? i see them on plenty of race cars though - or do most do that so they can make the sound req's at the track?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:49 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by penguinking
supertrapps don't work? i see them on plenty of race cars though - or do most do that so they can make the sound req's at the track?
Not sure. All I know is what we found. We tried with several different sets of plates and the results were all bad. And, as I mentioned, the quality was terrible.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimB
Don't forget to add some sort of set screws to keep your pipes from falling off at the track. This is covered somewhere in this thread.

Finally, for the track, I think going tipless is the only way to go. You'll never find a race car with tips.
Jim
I thought the discussion about set screws was to keep the tips from coming off.
It's hard for me to see how a set screw would be more secure than a robust (1" wide with a 12mm bolt) exhaust clamp. Maybe I'm missing something here?

When my car becomes a race car I'll remove the tips.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
I thought the discussion about set screws was to keep the tips from coming off.
It's hard for me to see how a set screw would be more secure than a robust (1" wide with a 12mm bolt) exhaust clamp. Maybe I'm missing something here?

When my car becomes a race car I'll remove the tips.
Russ,
I hear you on the tips. For a street car I'd do the same. If you're only using the pipes on the track I'd skip them though.

I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't use an exhaust clamp. I'm just warning that the combination of different metals (stainless and plain steel), changing temps and the weight (espeically with tips) vibrating with no support can cause them to come loose. We solved the issue with set screws.
Jim

Quick Reply: fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe