Sponsored by:

fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Best $15 I Ever Spent!

Wow. I really like these pipes! The family thinks they are too "look at me" loud, though. At some RPMs they resonate in the cabin (just below 3000 and a bit above 4000), but I've been thinking of the Fabspeed pipes for the track and this is a great, easy, cheap way to try them out.

Removal of the mufflers is ridiculously easy, once you know how. A good explanation is HERE. You can use the OEM collar to install the Pep Boys piece. Not a problem.

This is such a great way to try out the muffler bypass pipes, and for the track maybit it's just good enough.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Chronos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up the same pipe (and two tips) at the Advance Auto Parts by my office. Sunday night I'll do a little surgery. I also picked up a can of 1200 degree black ceramic paint to help hide the hideous little pipes.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Default Exhaust extraction & excahnge for bypass

Agree with all previous posts on the bypass. Two broken mufflers led me to install bypass pipes this morning over coffee (oaky, it did get a little dirty).

Here are my instructions:
1.)Safely block front wheels, jack up rear and place jack stands under cross brace.
2.) Remove rear wheel on side you start with.
3.) Locate 2 17mm nuts at catconverter. Loosen. No need to remove
4.) Locate front and rear 1/2" nuts holding muffler in place. Loosen. You may have to place a 1/2" box end wrench on the top nut as well.
5.) Locate two 1/2" nuts holding SIDE of muffler to engine mount (?) Loosen and remove. There are 6 bolts/nuts for each side 12 TOTAL to remove each muffler (L and R). I sprayed all nuts and bolts with heavy dose of WD-40. All came free upon return from parts store. (2" outer diameter pipe).
6.) Wiggle muffler free and remove via wheel well.
7.) Re-install wheel and repeat on other side of car.
8.) With 2" OUTER DIAMETER right angle muffler pipe, slide into sleave (recall the two 17MM nuts) connecting this bypass pipe to the cat converter. Tighten down. Double check pipe position.
9.) Fire the engine and enjoy. The sound is intoxicating!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Chronos
Advanced

WOW. Several of my bolts were rusted so I took the car to Midas.

Um, gee, it is LOOOUUUD! I immediately went into paranoia mode shifting at 2500. I'm usually for fun exhausts but I'm not sure about this. I'll try it for a couple more days before I decide. I'm nevrous that the Fairfax Cty cops will be all over me on my drive to work...

It does sound wonderful though!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Isn't it amazing what they (Fabspeed) can charge to us Porsche owners? I'm sure the Pep-Pipes are crappy in comparison but I can't believe I paid over $400 for Fabspeeds. Rediculous!

Agio, you need those Pep-Pipes! Maybe we could hear your car then!!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For those of you without a Pep Boys in the area (are there such people?), you should be able to get these pipes at any mass market supply house. At Pep Boys, Advance Auto and Autozone they are on the shelf. I discovered this after an agricultural exploit on the track this weekend loosened one which, in a later session, skittered across the track. The audio track became even louder, and I pitted for fear the exhaust into the bumper would melt it. A replacement part was easy to find.

I'll reserve these pipes for the track only, though. Too loud for the street, I think. Great on the track. The driver of a Ferrari commented yesterday that when I passed him he could not hear his own engine, and his car is not quiet, but the sound was so good he did not mind.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The driver of a Ferrari commented yesterday that when I passed him
Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up the pipes and a set of simple round polished tips on Friday and put them on Friday night.
It sounds incredible!!! It was paranoia-inducingly loud for the first day but now I am really, really enjoying the sound. THIS is what a 911 sounds like!
Thanks for saving me $400!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Maybe I'm just in paranoia still??? LOL. Drove across the street for a quick spin and saw 2 cops. I tiptoed, shifting at 2k, and didn't get noticed. I did open 'er up twice and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face!

I'll see how they grow on me. I think I have the same setup with bolt-on chrome tips. They hang well below the bumper cutouts; I guess Fabspeed must have a slight bend to their pipes to compensate? I could always raise the chrome tips, but that would not make the pipes parallel to the ground and possibly allow wated to pool up in the cats- that can't be good!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon968
I picked up the pipes and a set of simple round polished tips on Friday and put them on Friday night.
It sounds incredible!!! It was paranoia-inducingly loud for the first day but now I am really, really enjoying the sound. THIS is what a 911 sounds like!
Thanks for saving me $400!
Hey Jon, I think these would be the perfect finishing touch on the round polished tips: http://www.shoplaser.com/

I give you guys props. I would be too paranoid to put bypass pipes on my car. Chronos, I don't think we've met before. I live in McLean and work in Reston. I drive through Vienna and Fairfax a lot. I'll keep my eyes peeled (and my ears open) for a Slate Gray 996 with bypass pipes.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Here's a bad phone cam pic to show the pipes.
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey Jon, I think these would be the perfect finishing touch on the round polished tips: http://www.shoplaser.com/

I give you guys props. I would be too paranoid to put bypass pipes on my car. Chronos, I don't think we've met before. I live in McLean and work in Reston. I drive through Vienna and Fairfax a lot. I'll keep my eyes peeled (and my ears open) for a Slate Gray 996 with bypass pipes.
Trust me when I state you'll hear me first! ROFL. Hope to cross paths sometime amigo! Live in Potomac and work in Fairfax.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, Chronos, that's just what I picked up. It was $40 with the pipes and the tips. I just need to pull them back off the car and cut off the extra length so they look right. I like the idea of zapping them with the high-temp black paint, too.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Yep, this weekend I'll probably do the same. Hopefully my RUF front splitter will arrive by then too.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Chronos
Advanced

Any updates gents? I painted the pipes black and they are a little less hideous now. I've come closer to accepting the sound. Still loud as Hell but fun. Only issue so far is having two ricers want to race me (lol) and an old gent in a Cadillac frown at me as I drove past him.

I'm driving my niece to her homecoming in a couple of weeks. She sooo badly wants me to keep the pipes on until then! LOL

Quick Reply: fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe