Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/225389-fun-weekend-project-pep-boys-muffler-bypass-pipe.html)

every day 09-04-2005 07:40 PM

fun weekend project - pep boys muffler bypass pipe

2 Attachment(s)
This cheap little mod has a very high fun factor! While trying to figure out if I wanted to get the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes, I stumbled upon a thread about someone who found some right angle exhaust pipe at Pep Boys that fit perfectly as a muffler bypass for his 996. He was right! For $15 I can try out the Fabspeed sound to see if I like it or not.

It is LOUD!!!! :rockon:

The car isn't my daily driver - mostly weekends and track days - otherwise I wouldn't even consider this as an option, but the sound sure does get my heart pumping! Everything I do with the throttle I hear now (and so does everyone around me). It's not bad cruising down the freeway, but the noise level has definitely bumped up.

I also think that there's some sort of link between the throttle and my mouth now because every time I step on it I get this stupid grin on my face. Anyway, I'll leave it on for awhile to see if that grin starts to wear off or not, then I can decide if I want to spend the money on the Fabspeeds.

The only downside is that it looks like hell....

Here are pics of the Pep Boys and Fabspeed mods:

Dale Gribble 09-04-2005 08:00 PM

welcome 2 the dark side man

Midnight Rider 09-04-2005 08:23 PM

Get some tips welded on and you are good to go.

mundman 09-04-2005 08:37 PM

Can you leave the mufflers in for a quick change or do they have to come out?

SPIKES 09-04-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mundman
Can you leave the mufflers in for a quick change or do they have to come out?

no...there is no space.
i have done the other conversion (pse) bypass this weekend and cant fit the mufflers back as the pipe comes out at wrong angle. those mufflers way a ton.. :D i drove the car with the mufflers off and it is VERY loud.

every day 09-04-2005 09:00 PM

Mundman, Spikes is right, you can't leave the mufflers in, but now that I've done the job, I can't imagine it would take more than 45 minutes to an hour to covert either way. Pretty simple stuff.

mundman 09-05-2005 12:20 PM

I replaced my silencers with Fabspeed and it was quite simple and I didn't think it would be possible to leave the mufflers in but wouldn't it be great if you could!

Holger B 09-05-2005 01:39 PM

I got so used to the sound that my bypass pipes stay on 24/7 and I live in the city. The sound is unreal and I couldn't go back to the old way.

Also, the weight reduction is noticeable. I also took out all the brackets.

Phokaioglaukos 10-08-2005 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by every day
someone who found some right angle exhaust pipe at Pep Boys that fit perfectly as a muffler bypass for his 996. He was right! For $15 I can try out the Fabspeed sound to see if I like it or not.

What size pipe did you get? I want to do this tomorrow!

Res Ips 10-08-2005 02:17 PM

Clothes pins and playing cards makes a cool sound too.

every day 10-08-2005 11:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chris, it's a 2" right angle pipe that Pep Boys has in stock. They're usually in a display with all the various exhaust pipe pieces. The part number is 548703. Here are a couple of pics:

Enjoy!

Phokaioglaukos 10-09-2005 09:26 AM

Cool! I have brake disks to install on the front today and oil to change, then it's off to Pep Boys....

Thank you.

aben8057 10-09-2005 09:50 AM

Love my bypass pipes..I couldn't go back to the OE muffler after having them installed.

Chronos 10-09-2005 10:04 AM

LOL Went by a local Pep Boys a few weeks ago for some oil and saw those pipes, scratched my chin, and wondered if they would work... no kidding! Pretty funny. I wonder if any of their exhaust tips would fit...

agio 10-09-2005 09:57 PM

Who installed the Pep Pipes? If you did, would you describe what you did or if you have pix, I'd like to see them. If you had someone do this, who did this for you?
Thanks