Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

**Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sinus
Hello Rob,

we are sorry for this inconvenience but the functionality on the 2004+ models can be considered exactly the same as on previous models, since the 2004 original control unit allows you to go even higher speeds than the smarttop does on the older models.

We would never expect anyone to go even faster than this porsche factorty defined limit while the roof operation is in progress.

During the development phase of the 996b smarttop we assumed the speed during the operation cycle should never exceed 31 mph.

The fact that on the 2004+ models the roof operation will stop and the fact that on the older models simply continue even though the maximum was disregarded, is a result of the technical implementation:

On the older models, where we had to control the handbrake and speed signals to the control unit, we simply decided to continue a once startet operation. In either case you definitly take the risk of damaging your soft top mechanics. The soft top construction was never build to be operated at speeds higher than 31 mph and the smarttop's intention never was to give the driver the ability to exceed the maximum allowed speed during operation.

Regarding the three sesconds hold down: For some it may be annoying but it is matter of getting used to it and it definitly is safetywise one of the big advantages of the smarttop in comparison to other passive solutions.

We designed the smarttop to give the driver the maximal possible comfort while maintaining the highest possible level of safety.

The smarttop will not only enable your rear windows but it will also close all your windows (see description) when locking the car with the key in the driver's side door lock.

Regards, Sven
Sven,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated.

Rob
Old 08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROUP BUY OVER!

Unfortunately, I was on vacation for the past couple of weeks and neglected to puchase before leaving. I was informed by Sven last night via e-mail that the Rennlist group buy ended August 9th and that I would need to find 10 more people in order to reinstate it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do this rallying (an don't expect Dell to do it again either), so I will pass. Frankly, I find this a bit short sighted by the vendor and it pisses me off a bit.

Dell -- I thought we blew way past the original 10 that were committed to?

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree Led. I am sure Sven would honor the group buy since we had WAY more than the 10 required for the group buy. But it is his call to make. His userID is "sinus". Maybe PM him?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dell, how did you go about conjuring up a group buy. I'd be glad to post to all the forums and see if we can round up another 10. Was their some formal agreement with Sven before you started?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
sinus
Banned

@LedZec

As I told you in the email today, we received some inqueries about another groupbuy and I asked you friendly to post 1 (one) message to start it.

I am sorry that I cannot do that for you, but that's not because I do not want to, it's because of the very reasonable anti-spam-advertising rules here.

It's not our intention to refuse you the groupbuy price, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards, Sven
Old 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Default Sven -- why not just extend?

Hi Sven -- How many Rennlisters bought via the first groupbuy? If more than 20, don't you already have the "next 10"? Can't you just extend a bit? I just don't have the time to tally people and collect the information, etc.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
sinus
Banned

@Led

I have just talked to my partner and we decided to grant you the groupbuy price, I will send you a PM with the details.

There were about 15 or 16 Rennlisters who bought via the first groupbuy.

@Don

I will send you the details about a new groupbuy, I have received about 5 or 6 inqueries concerning a new groupbuy.

Regards, Sven
Old 08-18-2005, 10:08 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Default Much appreciated

Sven,

Thank you for your reasonableness. I have no doubt that you will find 5, 6, likely more than 10 Rennlisters will purchase your product. Thank you for extending the group buy.

I do have Paypal and will follow your instructions in the PM.

Mark
Old 09-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Tracym
Advanced

Default Need Help-SmartTop not working properly?

Just installed the unit in my 2000 Cab. The first time I opened the top it opened one touch. BUT...It would close one touch, had to hold the whole time unitl close and now won't open one touch either. It works exactly as it did before except I have the unit installed?

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2005, 04:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

See my reply in your other thread.

Quick Reply: **Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!