Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission 6 Sp or Tip and Why

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission 6 Sp or Tip and Why

My son posed a question which I could not answer, wondering if you gents could assist. What is the percentage of trannys out there on the 996 platform - rennlist only.

6 sp

Tiptronic and why - traffic, ease of use ?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like automatics as much as the next guy, but why would I get a sportscar with one? The reason I bought a sportscar is to get involved in the driving. Sure for a nice cruiser like a SL500, 745i, or your typical daily driver there is nothing like an auto, but I prefer to shift myself on sports cars. I am not even enamored by the paddle shift Ferraris. Sure you can driver fast with the F1 box, but to me it takes away the pleasure from driving such a fine auto.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jetskied hit it on the head the 6Spd's add to the driving experience. I love running through the gears I don't think I would ever buy a Tip Porsche or any other sports car. I guess if you and your Porsche sit in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week. It would make sense to drive a Tip.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Second the guys above.
Whats the point of a sportscar with auto trans?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by man_of_ice
Second the guys above.
Whats the point of a sportscar with auto trans?
Ditto.

Now if were driving 30 minutes plus every day of the week in bumper to bumper traffic, I would seriously consider a tiptronic (thankfully I am not doing this anymore).
Old 09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Funy you gents say that - I 100% agree, Once I mention that at a P-Car gathering and almost got jumped, everyone with a Tiptronic took offense to it. Not sure why, but me ME - A 6sp is the only way to go on a 911 or any true sports car for that matter.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

For some folks, a Tip is the best choice for their situation. It doesn't make them any less of a driver or a person or the car any less of a sports car. If you haven't ever driven a tip, particularly a TT Tip, how could you have an informed opinion? In the right hands on the right track, a Tip can beat a 6-speed without the driver working up a sweat.

Cheers,
Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Definitely the 6-speed. A Porsche is all about the driving experience and the manual shifting is an integral part of the experience. BTW, a quick 4-3-2 downshift with heel-toe blips makes me smile not sweat.

If I were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time the answer might be different but then my car probably wouldn't be a 911.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Fred R. C4S - This poll was never meant to be a negative to any and all Tip Drivers, really, just a poll nothing more. As I ALWAYS Say " It's All RELATIVE" !
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

I would not like to see this thread sink to the level of a recent one on the TT board entitled, "Do Real Men Drive Tips?". A Tip is not my personal cup of tea at the present time, but I saw Hurley Haywood do some pretty impressive driving in a TT Tip at the the track. It's just a different experience. Perhaps it's a bit like beer, regular or lite? It's a matter of taste, not a measure of manhood.

I suspect that if you got a large enough sample size, you might see as high as 20% Tips. But I doubt that the Rennlist group is truly representative of Porsche's overall market. This group is composed mostly of enthusiasts who's favorite flavor is 6MT.

Let's see how the numbers play out.

Cheers,
Old 09-08-2005, 09:28 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I would not like to see this thread sink to the level of a recent one on the TT board entitled, "Do Real Men Drive Tips?". A Tip is not my personal cup of tea at the present time, but I saw Hurley Haywood do some pretty impressive driving in a TT Tip at the the track. It's just a different experience. Perhaps it's a bit like beer, regular or lite? It's a matter of taste, not a measure of manhood.

I suspect that if you got a large enough sample size, you might see as high as 20% Tips. But I doubt that the Rennlist group is truly representative of Porsche's overall market. This group is composed mostly of enthusiasts who's favorite flavor is 6MT.

Let's see how the numbers play out.

Cheers,
Fred not to get into any type of e fight here, but Porsche were originally an enthusiast car. With the 80's yuppies buying them up like crazy Porsche became more of a status symbol. It made obvious sense to add an automatic to reach a larger market of the affluent people who does not drive as hard and want a 911. The fact is that most enthusiast prefer to get the total experience of the car. Sure there is a market for the Tip and sure it is fast in the hands of Hurley, but its this is a poll of this forum. Just because the results does not agree with you, it does not mean it is directed towards your manhood. I agree for some people a Tip makes sense for them. Im also a fan of automatics in performance cars such as an E55. Many insult MB for not offering a manual like the M5, but I'm under the opinon that I buy a fast sedan to drive in comfort and have speed when I want to kick it up on the back roads. To me if I wanted the ultimate racecar fell I would have bought a sportscar rather than a super sedan. I just have a different opinon than you.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

When I began looking for a P-car late last year I was considering a TIP, mostly because I hadn't driven a manual shift car in 15 years. Then one day my wife asked me why? I guess I had gotten so used to an automatic, I didn't know if I would want to "mess with" shifting all the time. I got a 6 speed and I am glad I did because I LOVE it!

However, if I had to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day (fortunately I do not), I too, would probably get a TIP. It would make the commute be much easier, IMO. When all is said and done whether you have a 6 speed or a TIP, it's still a Porsche, and … there is NO substitute!

Last edited by gota911; 09-09-2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI.....Porsche sells more Tips in Germany than the USA. Most would think that the US market is what the Tip what built for. Just not the case.

Personally I drive the 6-speed and wouldn't even consider the Tip. But......if it was set up more like a F1 box with a sequential gearbox then I would most def buy it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Gnome
Racer

I love the driving involvement of my 6-speed.

But....I'm also one of those unlucky folks with a 40-mile commute, often in bumper-to-bumper traffic. On days when I know I'll hit prime rush hour traffic I often leave the car in the garage and take my old Volvo with automatic transmission. The shifting doesn't bother me, it's just a waste of the car to sit there in traffic. Easier to relax in the big heavy sedan and just chug along.

Hmm, maybe I need TWO p-cars, one 6-speed and one Tip.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My Benz is a tip...the wife can drive it, The Porsche is 6 speed, easy resale and the wife cant drive it!
And most of all its a sports car...

Quick Reply: Transmission 6 Sp or Tip and Why