Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

**Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The website mentions a "roof-key button" on 2003 and later models.

Window control with the 911 Cabrio:
The Porsche 911 Cabrio has four windows which all go down upon opening of the roof. Unfortunately the two rear windows usually stay locked and can not be operated as long as the roof is not in the fully closed position. Our smartTOP allows normal operation through the window-keys when the roof is in the fully opened position.

On the new 911 Cabrio (Model Year 2003) the windows do not close the way they used to on older models when the roof of the parked vehicle is closed with the key remote. Our smartTOP 996b has a special feature which allows closing of the windows the way it was on the older models. "Just keep the roof-key on the key remote pressed after the roof has closed completely until all windows are closed."

What does this allow? Does it allow for open/close control of the cab top via the key fob? If so, can this function be incorporated into use with my 2002 Cab, which doesn't have such a feature?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM
emty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in. 2001 C2 cab.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cydog
The website mentions a "roof-key button" on 2003 and later models.

Window control with the 911 Cabrio:
The Porsche 911 Cabrio has four windows which all go down upon opening of the roof. Unfortunately the two rear windows usually stay locked and can not be operated as long as the roof is not in the fully closed position. Our smartTOP allows normal operation through the window-keys when the roof is in the fully opened position.

On the new 911 Cabrio (Model Year 2003) the windows do not close the way they used to on older models when the roof of the parked vehicle is closed with the key remote. Our smartTOP 996b has a special feature which allows closing of the windows the way it was on the older models. "Just keep the roof-key on the key remote pressed after the roof has closed completely until all windows are closed."

What does this allow? Does it allow for open/close control of the cab top via the key fob? If so, can this function be incorporated into use with my 2002 Cab, which doesn't have such a feature?
The US cabs don't have this feature. Our cars have the standard two buttons on the key fob, the european models have a third button to operate the top.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 AM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

Us Europeans can't attend this group buy, since we have to pay VAT (25%) and Custom clearence fee (5%).
Keep us posted after you have installed the unit. We are curious (us without the SmartTop)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

We are now at 9 (just one more and the order can go in!).

Please PM me your full name so I can email it to the Smart Top and then I will PM you the discount code back.

Here is the list:
LVDell
Electric Lizard
shap
riad
washington dc porsche
UNC Nick
tph
cydog
emty
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
scherb
1st Gear

I am in for a 986 MY97 Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

DING DING DING DING..........we are at 10! Just waiting for those PM's so I can sedn the list of names to Smart Top.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
sinus
Banned

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed Sweden
Us Europeans can't attend this group buy, since we have to pay VAT (25%) and Custom clearence fee (5%).
Keep us posted after you have installed the unit. We are curious (us without the SmartTop)
Hi GoodSpeed Sweden,

of course you are welcome to attend the groupbuy.

The normal euro price is 199 (boxster) and 249 (996 cab).

The groupbuy euro price is 169 (boxster) and 219 (996 cab).

All prices incl. vat and customs but exclusive shipping (about 15 euro).

Regards, Sven
Old 08-02-2005, 05:29 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

LVDell - Is there a way I can get in on this group buy? I have a 2001 Cab

Please let me know....Thanks Will
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

sure thing, just PM we your info (full name).
Old 08-02-2005, 05:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Just got 10 names of the 11 that shown interest (missing TPH still). I will contact Sven right now and get the code and PM you each shortly.

Standby..........
Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Group Buy complete!!! I have just sent PM's to everybody with instructions on ordering.

FYI.......The special price expires on 9 August at midnight so don't procrastinate.

Special thanks to SVEN of Wilhelmy-IT (Smart Top) for putting this deal together for our group buy
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 PM
996 MPH
2nd Gear

Thanks Dell!

Mark
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Very welcome!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:49 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Several months ago, I purchased what is known as the SMARTtop, a simple plug-and-play device that allows Boxsters and 996 Cabriolets, up to and including model year 2004, to operate the soft tops just like the newest models. In other words, opening and closing the soft top becomes a “One Touch” operation while stopped or moving, without having to apply the emergency brake with the car in Park, or in a particular gear.

What makes this module so worthwhile is the fact that you are basically adding a unit that can, should you wish, be removed or re-installed as easily as changing a relay.

It’s easy: on the 996 model you merely unplug a connector, insert one end of the SmartTop module where you unplugged the connecter…and then plug the connector you pulled out into the other end of the SmartTop module. That’s it!

I was so pleased with the result that I wrote the company, and they asked me if I would share my pleasure in the form of a review. Well, there is not much to review because it has worked flawlessly. I can’t count the number of times I have opened and closed the top while moving. Another new fan is my wife, who also enjoys the easier operation. And, since the module is strictly electronic, it is “invisible” as far as the operation of the vehicle is concerned. No wires have been spliced; the vehicle is still original. But, if you should still have any doubts about the SmartTop’s effect on warranties, you can always remove it, quickly and painlessly, before visiting the dealer.

The SmartTop is configured to perform the identical functions that the cars come with standard, but with added features. When the top is down, you can now raise the rear quarter windows (996s) using the window switches. (You don’t have to stick your finger in the top latch sensor anymore in order to do this.) And with all 4 windows up and with the rear wind deflector, cool weather is no longer a factor when the top is down. :jump:

Here are the simple installation steps to follow on a 996:
1. Bring your soft top to the “maintenance” position, about half way open.
2. Pop the 2 “ball & socket” tie down cables just below the rear window of the soft top.
3. Lift the entire back of the soft top so it’s resting on the roof.
4. You need to remove the 4 buttons you see at the back of the exposed well. This is where a tool comes in handy, maybe a dull dinner knife. They should come off as easy as “bumper plugs.”
5. With both hands, tug on the carpeted covering so it opens up the area where the electronics are.
6. The big brown (or gray) box on the driver’s side is what you are looking for. Unlatch the locking mechanism of the plug attached to the bottom of the box, and pull the plug out.
7. Insert the top end of the SmartTop module where you removed the plug.
8. Insert the plug into the bottom end of the SmartTop module. In both cases, make certain that the module and plug are properly installed (with reference to the pins and holes), and that both the plug and module are tightly connected.
9. Replace the carpeted area against the back wall. There is a little lip that tucks under.
10. Re-attach the 2 steel ball and socket wires that hold the rear of the soft-top in place, then, either open or close the soft top and you are in business.
Operating instructions:
a. If you are moving at less than 25 mph, just press the open or close button and the cycle will begin.
b. If you are stopped, a safety feature requires you to press the button opposite to your intentions for 2-3 seconds, and then press and release the button that you wish to activate. This safety feature prevents the top from being opened accidentally which could cause harm to bystanding persons.

Here are some installation pics to make it even easier.

Last edited by DonW-Cape Cod; 08-04-2005 at 03:14 AM.

Quick Reply: **Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!