Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

**Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:56 PM
sinus
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

that's right, after opening the roof the windows will close, like if you hold down the button without the smarttop.

If you would like to keep the windows open, you can interrupt the progress by hitting either the open or the close button after the roof has opened.

Regards, Sven

Most of the 996 customers are "windows closed" driver...
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 AM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

The website states that:

NEVER drive faster than absolutely necessary while the roof is in motion, wind resistance increases drastically with higher speeds! Particularly NEVER operate the roof while accelerating! Once triggered within the permitted speed range, the automatic operation completes even at higher speeds than permitted, thus resulting in damage of the roof

This didn't seem to work for me. As soon as I went over 30mph the operation of the top stopped.

Any reason why this would be?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Rob, were you at WOT???
Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 AM
sinus
Banned

Originally Posted by riad
The website states that:

NEVER drive faster than absolutely necessary while the roof is in motion, wind resistance increases drastically with higher speeds! Particularly NEVER operate the roof while accelerating! Once triggered within the permitted speed range, the automatic operation completes even at higher speeds than permitted, thus resulting in damage of the roof

This didn't seem to work for me. As soon as I went over 30mph the operation of the top stopped.

Any reason why this would be?
Hello,

do you have a smarttop996-B installed?

Regards, Sven
Old 08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Rob, were you at WOT???
Don't know what that stands for, so probably not.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sinus
Hello,

do you have a smarttop996-B installed?

Regards, Sven
I hope so, that's what I orderd. How can I tell?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:30 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOT=Wide Open Throttle="flooring it", "pedal to the metal", etc..

Don't know what that stands for, so probably not.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
WOT=Wide Open Throttle="flooring it", "pedal to the metal", etc..
Nah, doing 32MPH... I'm a speed demon.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:34 PM
sinus
Banned

Hello,

just looked into your order, yes you have ordered and received a smarttop996b so that's why the roof operation stops.

Your car is able to operate the roof while driving as factory default. The smarttop996b does not change the factory behavior in this case.

Regards, Sven
Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Does anyone's work while their car is in reverse?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Does anyone's work while their car is in reverse?

Yes, my does.

I wish the website was specific to the fact that the functionality described does not relate to model 2004+ cars. I already had the Bahntech, which worked perfectly for one-touch operation. The only thing I really gain with this product is the rear window operation.

The Bahntech also doesn't have the feature where you have to hold the button down for 3 seconds before the one touch operation will function - this to me is really annoying... I may just install the Bahntech back and sell the SmartTop.

ymmv,
Rob
Old 08-15-2005, 11:29 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

So you were sucked up into the Smartop whirlwind. For me, it's better than what I had.

I have another question, I noticed with the rear windows rolled up along with the fronts that they rattle(together or to something) when going over bumps.

Yes, my does.

I wish the website was specific to the fact that the functionality described does not relate to model 2004+ cars. I already had the Bahntech, which worked perfectly for one-touch operation. The only thing I really gain with this product is the rear window operation.

The Bahntech also doesn't have the feature where you have to hold the button down for 3 seconds before the one touch operation will function - this to me is really annoying... I may just install the Bahntech back and sell the SmartTop.

ymmv,
Rob
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

So you were sucked up into the Smartop whirlwind. For me, it's better than what I had.

I have another question, I noticed with the rear windows rolled up along with the fronts that they rattle(together or to something) when going over bumps.
I don't have that problem...

I need to find out where the speed limiter is.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
sinus
Banned

Yes, my does.

ymmv,
Rob
Hello Rob,

we are sorry for this inconvenience but the functionality on the 2004+ models can be considered exactly the same as on previous models, since the 2004 original control unit allows you to go even higher speeds than the smarttop does on the older models.

We would never expect anyone to go even faster than this porsche factorty defined limit while the roof operation is in progress.

During the development phase of the 996b smarttop we assumed the speed during the operation cycle should never exceed 31 mph.

The fact that on the 2004+ models the roof operation will stop and the fact that on the older models simply continue even though the maximum was disregarded, is a result of the technical implementation:

On the older models, where we had to control the handbrake and speed signals to the control unit, we simply decided to continue a once startet operation. In either case you definitly take the risk of damaging your soft top mechanics. The soft top construction was never build to be operated at speeds higher than 31 mph and the smarttop's intention never was to give the driver the ability to exceed the maximum allowed speed during operation.

Regarding the three sesconds hold down: For some it may be annoying but it is matter of getting used to it and it definitly is safetywise one of the big advantages of the smarttop in comparison to other passive solutions.

We designed the smarttop to give the driver the maximal possible comfort while maintaining the highest possible level of safety.

The smarttop will not only enable your rear windows but it will also close all your windows (see description) when locking the car with the key in the driver's side door lock.

Regards, Sven

Quick Reply: **Smart Top GROUP BUY DONE** Review/Tips inside by Don W!