996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd hate to say it but I think you may have over-reacted on this one. I firmly believed that $6.5K was reasonable and something to go for. Not the best offer, but certainly not the worst. Think about what it would cost if they offered NO good-will? A few had said to count your blessings, accept it humbly, and not press or they could withdraw the offer which is exactly what happened--and now you are peeved. Remember, your car is way out of warranty (~2.5 years and 25K miles) and there is not a court in this land that will side with you because of that.

From one Sox fan to another, I am 100% on your side, as most of on this board are, regardless of the decision you make and will hope to see this come to a resolution acceptable for you.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Mickey's point...In some ways the Internet is our undoing..what you get is a (I forgot the term...a "perfect" market maybe) where all deal information is instantly known by all. Your odds of negotiating a "special" deal for yourself are slim now because chances are it will be known nationwide within hours (nothing personal about you though)...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I firmly believed that $6.5K was reasonable and something to go for. Not the best offer, but certainly not the worst. Think about what it would cost if they offered NO good-will?
It is actually cheaper to buy the motor from an out-of-state dealer and have it shipped freight to Kentucky! The very least his local dealer could do is price-match. They are not doing him any favors (they're not covering labor right?) so I would push a little harder but first I would find out why the engine self-destructed. If the problem was known defect than you have a reason to ask for $$$ assistance but if the problem was just something that happens you probably should just eat it.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So if dealer cost is roughly $5.2K (and are we sure about that) and labor is roughly 20 hours.....then by that logic he is getting the motor at dealer cost and splitting the labor roughly 50/50 for the install. Sounds like a good deal to me..........especially for an out of warranty good will.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So if dealer cost is roughly $5.2K (and are we sure about that) and labor is roughly 20 hours.....then by that logic he is getting the motor at dealer cost and splitting the labor roughly 50/50 for the install. Sounds like a good deal to me..........especially for an out of warranty good will.
I would have to agree.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

My reading comprehension obviously sucks. I read the first post as if the engine would cost him $6500 and he would have to pay for all the labor. If the $6500 is for parts and labor than I agree that Porsche is being fair, my bad. I still think KY should find out what happened to his engine from the dealer's tech before he agree's to anything.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:37 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

A little clarification, I have the Boxster down at my place in FL, that's where it happened. Me and my other cars are in KY right now (as is the 3.4l engine if I want it, which means having to tow the vehicle to KY or sending the engine to FL to make that happen).

As far as the offer goes, yeah, I do appreciate the good will. Maybe I am spoiled in that I work for a company that made it's living by dealing direct with their customers. All I wanted was a courtesy call from PCNA. I still think I at least warrant that. ANY company too busy to speak to their customers has lost touch.

I STILL have no explanation for the failure (and paid $400 in diagnostic labor to find that out!). My inclination based on all I know is a slipped sleeve, but I can't confirm, and the dealer doesn't think we should pay more to open it up and find out.

I am going to mull it over this weekend and then decide. Much of my decision will be based on whether my intent is to sell it, or keep it. With a baby on the way, a two seater might not cut it. I am leaning towards putting the 2.5l in it and selling it with the warranty, and likely replacing it with something like a 3 series. Still undecided.

Thanks again to everyone, as the range of comments really helps put things into perspective. I don't doubt that they are trying to treat me fairly, but I am one who really enjoys having a personal relationship when I do business. I have high service level expectations, but then again, that's why I spend the $ for BMW and Porsche instead of Chevy.

Have a great 4th! BTW, I have finished most of the 911 mods to my c4 cab. I will post pics tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:27 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

For what its worth, if I saw a 3.4l Boxster and it was in good shape for a good price I wouldn't be afraid to buy it!
poindex30, Where did you see the 3.4L Boxster and how much? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 AM
poindex30
Racer

I didn't see a 3.4L Boxster. Someone mentioned to KY_Soldier that if he installed a 3.4 in his Boxster it wouldn't be worth much when he sold it. I was just saying that if I saw a 3.4L Boxster I would be very interested in it.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KY_soldier
A little clarification, I have the Boxster down at my place in FL, that's where it happened. Me and my other cars are in KY right now (as is the 3.4l engine if I want it, which means having to tow the vehicle to KY or sending the engine to FL to make that happen).

As far as the offer goes, yeah, I do appreciate the good will. Maybe I am spoiled in that I work for a company that made it's living by dealing direct with their customers. All I wanted was a courtesy call from PCNA. I still think I at least warrant that. ANY company too busy to speak to their customers has lost touch.

I STILL have no explanation for the failure (and paid $400 in diagnostic labor to find that out!). My inclination based on all I know is a slipped sleeve, but I can't confirm, and the dealer doesn't think we should pay more to open it up and find out.

I am going to mull it over this weekend and then decide. Much of my decision will be based on whether my intent is to sell it, or keep it. With a baby on the way, a two seater might not cut it. I am leaning towards putting the 2.5l in it and selling it with the warranty, and likely replacing it with something like a 3 series. Still undecided.

Thanks again to everyone, as the range of comments really helps put things into perspective. I don't doubt that they are trying to treat me fairly, but I am one who really enjoys having a personal relationship when I do business. I have high service level expectations, but then again, that's why I spend the $ for BMW and Porsche instead of Chevy.

Have a great 4th! BTW, I have finished most of the 911 mods to my c4 cab. I will post pics tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that they still can't find the problem. You're by far much more patient than I. With no response on the cause I'd proceed with caution, insist on talking to the PCNA rep, perhaps tow the car to another dealer, sighting unqualified techs, etc...
In summary your car "seized", the dealer charged you $400 for basically NOTHING, now they're offering to replace the engine at a negotiated rate... . Did they produce any evidence suggesting that the problem is indeed inherent to the internal components of the engine???
Old 07-02-2005, 08:30 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

A previous poster asked you for info re your build date, etc. I believe he is a Porsche tech and may have some info for you if you answer his questions.

Originally Posted by KY_soldier

Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

TP did ask for that info. And if ANYBODY would be able to shed some light on this it would be him. PM him that info.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:11 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

TP - sorry about that, I believe the vehicle was manufactured in Mar 99. Here is the VIN if it helps decipher the build date: WP0CA2981XU627307. I believe I took delivery in Apr 99.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this....E
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

KY_soldier the offer they made you, is the exchange plane Porsche has for anyone who has a broken engine, this is a world wide offer, your case is just like many othersī. they are not giving you anything different, just the comun procedure. No matter where you are, South Africa, Europe, U.S or Autralia, if you go to a Porsche dealer with a broken engine, they will will offer in exchange of your engine, a rebuild engine and two years warranty for the price you mention.

Some of you might think "why PAG is doing that?" because there are a bunch of 986 and 996 engines blowing out there, and they want some how to help their clients to have a new rebuild engine at a low cost. My 996 engine blow a month ago, and was i offered an engine for 5800 euros plus taxes . had to pay for the labour myself and ended up with a 9500 euros bill including a new clutch an all taxes paid.

Had sent two letteres to my local dealer and one letter to Porsche Germany asking for a free engine, but any financial help was denied, because they said these rebuild engines have already a very special price and also beacuse my car hadnīt been bougth from their net work plus was out of warranty period. Car had 54000Km always assisted amd never over reved as they saw by reading the ECU info from my car.
I have to confess that it was not a surprise to have my engine blown, had two friends with 996 and Boxster who had their engines blown too. At the Porsche club there are also a bunch of guys who had their engines blown.

While i was there to drop my car to get a rebuid, there was a 996 from 2001 receving a rebuild engine. There are some Porsche shops that have 996 and 986 engines in stock, yes thatīs what you heard, they have rebuild engines in stock, like they have the oil filter and fuel filter in stock too. They have it, because these engine brake, itīs a comun failure, oil in the water, or sleeves on the oil are the comun symptom. PAG can sent a rebuild engine in no time to any part of the world, because they have a bunch of them ready to be export.
When I had my engine failed the guy who was dealing with my case went to the computer and told me that they had a rebuild engine in stock, so if i decided to accept their offer i would have my car ready in four days.

Donīt get me wrong, i love my car and i love Porsche, but the M96 engines are tottally crap (GT3 and Turbo apart) and the number of blown engines stories i know from these cars are too much to count. Just in the last two months or so iīseen more that 10 blow outs on these crapy engines, but ever since 1997 they are blowing, and worst of all, even the rebuild ones blow too.

Iīm not here to trash Porsche image, Iīm a passionate Porsche lover and for the last 10 years have been driving and owning their cars, but i just canīt accept that Porsche doesnīt cover these blown engines when they know very well, that this is designflow, and all these engine should have been recall, or at least people who had their engines blown , wont have to pay anything for a rebuild unit.

KY_soldier, fell free to email me if you have any question, before the 996 I had a Boxster with a 3.4l engine, great car.

Here some sad blown 996 engines stories from this, and other Porsche boards.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/205310-996-is-gone-hello-to-m3-cab.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/204183-white-smoke-on-track-day.html

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4501

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/196506-possible-engine-problems-on-996-3-4l-help.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/196800-possible-engine-problems-on-3-4l-update.html
Old 07-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not read all the messages. If the failure is due to the sleeve issue then Porsche has a secret list and will know if yours was sleeved from your numbers. Or have the head on the bad side pulled off and you will know immediately if it is a sleeved engine. March 1999 is in the window period that we estimated years ago when a slipped sleve was common.

I do not know why your engine failed, but it is not hard to rule out the sleeve issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=128818

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/150463-boxster-sudden-engine-failure.html

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={F3EA752A-E838-43E5-A43D-BB4F445F5A8F}

Quick Reply: OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...