Sponsored by:

Boxster sudden engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 PM
tamarafackler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster sudden engine failure

I need advice on my 99 Tiptronic Boxster which I purchased in 2002 with 11,687 miles. The car was in pristine condition when I purchased it. I had it inspected, and talked with the previous owner's mechanic. Two weeks ago, while driving on the highway, the engine catastrophically failed on me. The car has 14,814 miles ! There was no warning. The engine made a brief 'clunking' noise, then died. The Porsche dealership examined the car, and determined that it cannot be repaired. It needs to be replaced at a cost of over $ 10,000. There was coolant in the exhaust, a crack in the engine, and no compression in cylinder #5 with damage to the spark plug. The car is out of warranty. Both dealer and I called Porsche of North America, and they refused to help out, saying that "the car is out of warranty." No engine should fail after 14,800 miles, whether under warranty or not. I have read that there were manufacturing defects in the Boxsters assembled in 1998. Mine was put into service in Dec 1998. There was nothing that I did to the car to cause this engine failure. I am disappointed that Porsche of North America will not step up to the plate and take care of the problem. Can someone give me advice? I have called the Porsche Customer Committent Line three times, to no avail. And they will not give me the number to their regional manager.
Thanks,
Tamara in Washington DC
Old 08-05-2004, 09:22 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

That sucks......have you been leaking any oil?? Some Boxsters and 996's have a manufacturing defect pertaining to the RMS, which stands for Rear Main Seal, it has lead to complete engine failure on some cars and could be what caused your engine to fail! Do a search on this Forum under RMS and try and contact your local PCA and see if they can help.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Kimi322
Advanced

Default Me Too

I had the EXACT same event occur a couple of months ago with my 99 boxster only 19K miles. (do a search on my posts in this forum) Same clunking noise and engine just died. The dealer said coolant leaked into the engine etc. Anyway Porsche did not want to help me at all. I made tons of calls and complained and complained until finally the dealer paid for it all. They fought me all the way but I didn't give up. The best part of the story is after they replaced the engine I drove it home and the new one died 24 hours later!!! They had to replace that one as well so I can feel your pain.
Apparently late 98 and early mde 99's had these probelms. My research found that after fighting with POrsche most people were able to get them to pay since it is a defect in the engine. Good Luck and don't give them $1! You can private message me if you want to discuss further.
Kim
Old 08-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tamara, what month and year was your car made?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is horrible news. Please keep us posted on the outcome. And, good luck...
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Default Slipped Sleeve

You can be pretty sur you have experienced the slipped sleeve failure. I would not let this go without insisting on a new motor from PCNA.

This is a known problem in '99s made during the 10/98-3-99 time frame.....If your dealer doesn't know about this cronic problem, he lives under a rock.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:13 AM
tamarafackler
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Tamara, what month and year was your car made?
My car was made in November 1998. Porsche North America still has not responded to my calls or letter. It's been two weeks since I've contacted them.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, sorry to hear. If you have not post on PPBB, do so. Also use the search feature there. There are many there who have had similar engine problems w/successful results. Also if you are a member of PCA, contact them. They have been known to open a few doors of communication.

Best of luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

http://stau.jowood.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1416

If you follow the link to the German Boxster Board you will see a sleeved motor.

There are many causes for catastrophic engine damage, and not all engines in the "window" period were sleeved. When I started out over 5 years ago we were all guessing on what was the build date window period because Porsche will not tell. There have been several guess as to the time period where Porsche put sleeved motors into the Boxster. Under all the guessed date ranges your November 1998 build is in the range.

All the mechanic has to due is pull the head and he will immediately know if you have a sleeved motor. There is also a list of the sleeved motors that Porsche has.

Old 08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

After having read of one the reply, a stupid question came up. If the real problem is dued to defective engines built up to 99, why did a brand new engine give up in 24 hours?
Was it the same problem? I am kind of curious to why some engines fail at such low mileage.

Thank You
Old 08-09-2004, 05:16 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Hi Tamara,

This sounds like a terrible situation to be in. If Porsche Cars US will not fix at their cost I would start getting Independants quoting on the repair job as the Official dealers will take you to the cleaners to repair this!! And secondly why make them "richer" by supporting them to do the job when they won't help you.
When I hear about these situations they really drive me mad as I'm sure they can "organise" a recon engine on the house...

All the very best and I hope you get sorted out.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Kimi must have had a rebuilt engine do to the age of the car.

On of our local owners, Jean, had his engine replaced last month after 4 seal replacements. A 2000 2.7. The rebuilt replacement engine had a vibration at 3,000 rpms. At first the mechanic said it was normal. Then they pulled the oil filter and it was loaded with metal. 800 miles on the replacement engine and Jean is not happy.

His second replacement engine goes in on Monday.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:13 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

I HAVE SEEN THE WRIST PIN PULL OUT OF THE PISTON,AND WHEN THE PIN COMES BACK UP IT DRIVES THE PISTON INTO THE HEAD.(DISASSEMBLED A 986 MOTOR TO EVALUATE FOR REBUILD PER DSM.NO REBUILD PERFORMED,MOTOR REPLACED.)IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY THIS WAS AN EARLY 986.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Kimi322
Advanced

Yes, When my second engine failed they said they found metal in the oil. I never got an exact explanation for either engine failure. Engine #3 had 3K miles and all is well........so far.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:02 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

CROSS YOUR FINGERS!LOL

Quick Reply: Boxster sudden engine failure