996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...

background: my 99 boxster. I am the one and only owner, 74k miles, dealer maintained, have all records, never tracked, never abused, never raced. mostly hway miles during the first two years.

the engine failed - no explanation, no reasoning

I am a loyal Pcar owner, with a 996 C4 Cab AND a Cayenne TT.

their offer: 50% of the engine, 0 labor. I am looking at about $6500 out the door for a new (reman) engine. I am waiting to hear from the PCNA rep to try to understand it better, maybe get some assistance on the labor as well.

Is it a reasonable offer? should I look at doing a 3.4 from one of the folks who has done a few (that would be WAY cool)? could I do better finding a 2.5 from someone else (probably not at 50% of a new reman from them).

should I just sell the car? (tough because I have a LOT of memories in that car, I drove it away from my wedding, it was my first new p car, my brother in law also used it at their wedding, etc).

THOUGHTS???
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Without a reason of failure it's hard to go from there. But, outside of warranty and not a CPO I would have to say $6.5K isn't too bad for a new engine and 2 years of warranty.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Dell said $6.5K for a new engine doesn't sound too bad. I'd still try to see if they can cover the labor, etc. From my understanding this this is their initial offer. Being that you own two more p-cars there may be a bit more room for negotiation.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
As Dell said $6.5K for a new engine doesn't sound too bad. I'd still try to see if they can cover the labor, etc. From my understanding this this is their initial offer. Being that you own two more p-cars there may be a bit more room for negotiation.

defintely counter-offer, ask for labor to be paid 100% and then settle on splitting the difference
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Take it, and sell it as a new motored Boxster. Perhaps a 987 would be the start of a new love affair that mat be more fulfilling.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree w/ Dell and fanatic on this. Definately counter. But $6500 is not bad for a replacement. The labor would be my issue. And..definately push the engine failure / reason issue.

Still is a lot of money to me. Maybe now would be a good time to put a 996 engine in there.

C.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

ask if they'll ship the engine to your local independent Porsche mechanic. Maybe they'll move a little on the labor.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Counter offer for them to cover at least 90% and try to hold firm to that. If they say no, you can ask a lawyer to write them a letter. Its possible that the "implied warranty for fitness for a particular use" arguement may work. "Implied warranty" means even without a written warranty, the product should work under normal operating conditions and that you should be able to drive your car for a reasonable amount of time for a reaonable amount of miles and in a reasonable manner. 70,000 miles on a 6 year old car is very normal. "Particular use" means just driving day to day. Of course if they determine that you have hit the rev limiter and coded you may not have leg to stand on.

Im not advocating a threat of a law suit. That costs too much money and you really probably wouldn't get very far. I am advocating, however, that you argue all points to your advantage so that they pick up more than what they quoted you. It also states firmly that you are serious about the issue on the table. Dealers don't want to be involved with lawyers. It may work to your advantage.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Am I correct to assume that the car is off warranty and that Porsche is not obligated to give you anything? Clearly you are a good cutomer and they are making a good-will offer.

Hint - if you take too tough a stand they might withdraw the offer and play hard ball. Others on Rennlist have found that out the hard way. The guy who got the offer authorized probably went to bat for you and will be seriously annoyed if you push too hard. If you get classified as unreasonable things could get ugly fast.

The deal does not sound bad to me. It could be better, but weigh the risk carefully.

best,
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Although the car is no longer under written manufacturer’s warranty it could be argued, as Jim already mentioned, that “implied warranty” may apply considering the circumstances. Sleeve failure is a manufacturing flaw which Porsche acknowledged in the recent past. Just because the problem didn't rear its ugly head until just now, is no reason for the customer to get the short end of the stick and have to shell out over $10K on an otherwise perfectly healthy unmolested vehicle.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the deal but see if they have some more wiggle room first. I'd not advise getting a lawyer to write a letter as that leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I really don't see how he's got any leverage for a counter offer. this is a good-will offer from PCNA, on a car way out of warranty. i think it's pretty big of them, actually. i'd take it and run.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Racer48
Intermediate

This is actually a VERY reasonable offer for a car so far out of warranty. I would handle this with extreme caution. Remember, you have absolutely no leverage in these "negotiations".
Old 06-29-2005, 08:28 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

I WOULD ACCEPT THE OFFER ON THE TABLE,AS LONG AS THE REMAN ENGINE WOULD BE COVERED FOR 2 YEARS(WITH PCNA PAYING FOR 50% THEY MAY NOT WANT TO GIVE THE PARTS WARRANTY).WITH THE CAR SO FAR OUT OF WARRANTY YOU REALY DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD LEVERAGE(OWNING 2 OTHER P-CARS HELPS,BUT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU THE SHIRT OFF THEIR BACK).JUST MY OPINION.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the month and year the car was made.

Quick Reply: OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...