996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 06:21 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks TP and J.Seven. Knowing what you know, what should I do now? Pursue the sleeve issue in hopes of them paying 100% on the engine, or is this deal it? Out of warranty or not, a known widespread engine failure should be close to grounds for a recall, wouldn't it?

I guess the question is what is the difference if it's on the list or not? Did I get the 50% engine because I was on the list or not? Still not quite sure how to go on this one.

Also - TP, should I be liable for the $400 (4 hrs) it took the dealer to give me no diagnosis?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={CA1859C4-B3A4-4B7F-A2FD-943921593C98}

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={F3EA752A-E838-43E5-A43D-BB4F445F5A8F}

If it were me I would raise hell if a mechanic could not tell me if it is a sleeved engine and if the sleeve got pulled down the cylinder by the piston rings, after charging 4 hours of time to tell you something is wrong. Just to rule out that issue as the cause of your engine failure.

If they don't want to pull the heads then they can remove the plugs and stick in a borescope.

Kimi in my link had a Feb. 1999 and Porsche paid 100% of the replacement engine, on an out of factory warranty car. Kimi, like you, did not know the cause of the failure. But when a 986 motor locks up and you are in the window period, then you try to put 2 and 2 together. When a Feb. 1999 owner gets a free replacement engine you get 4 in my book.

You need to find out the cause of the failure. You may not even have a sleeved engine.

Edit. None of the PCA links work so you will have to figure out how to see the info on that site.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

I know they took the plugs out, but "didn't find anything." I don't know if they stuck a scope in there or not. I know the major parts and systems on a car, but can't disect an engine to save my life, so at times, I am lost in the shuffle (a network, satellite/dish, or computer and I am fine, engines, not so much :-). I need to call them tomorrow AM and get exact details from them (build date, sleeved engine, etc). What EXACTLY do I need to ask them to pinpoint the failure? Thanks in advance for all your help. Next time I get out to CA, I owe you the beverage of choice ;-)
Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

they told me 12 hours of labor to disassemble the engine, and it would be a waste because the bottom line is that I need a new engine. I am fuming over this thing, I feel like I am being treated like a 5 year old. won't tell me why, just that it needs a new engine. how can I tactfully escalate this?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I would be curious to find out how this was resolved. Did you take the offer from PCNA?

Quick Reply: OK here is PCNAs offer re:engine...