Sponsored by:

Safety Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Equipment

Given some of the recent threads I am wondering how many of you out there are tracking with proper safety equipment. Not to be morbid but please think about these thing. IMO these are most important mods if you are tracking. P-Cars are capable of serious speed and consequences thereof.

Just a short commercial for these things:

Structural safety equipment such as roll bars and cages protect you from metal deformation and provide anchor points for seats and harnesses

Seats and harnesses: Give you better control and improve your times. Also distribute g-forces in the event of a crash. One common source of racing injuries is when the car stops and the driver doesn't. You hit the interior or cage at track speed. You avoid these by being completely snug in the seat and rollbar padding, etc. Horsecollar and/or HANS restraint can prevent major neck trauma.

Window net if you are driving with open windows.

Chrome trim taped down (not an issue in Pcars I think). These have caused serious havoc coming off in crashes.

Helmet: Snell 95 or better. Nomex lined. Full Face. Blood type, drug allergies, etc clearly printed on the back.

Suit/Gloves/Shoes. OK, you might look like a dork at a DE but it is YOUR bod.

Fire extinguisher. Fuel Cell.

Driver: If you spin, both feet in. Clutch and brake all the way down. Let go of the steering wheel if you are going to hit something. Your wrists will thank you.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

word
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with all, but,

Helmet: Snell 95 or better. Nomex lined. Full Face. Blood type, drug allergies, etc clearly printed on the back.
Also make sure your name is on the helmet. It will increase the chances that an EMT will believe the info. Often times, even with the name, an EMT will not assume this to be the correct info. Just depends on the EMT. A medical bracelet listing these things is usually better.

After all, what might someone be more likely to borrow, a helmet or a medical bracelet?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

good point. My background is SCCA road racing. Never even occurred to me about helmet borrowing.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by leedav
Helmet:Blood type, drug allergies, etc clearly printed on the back..
Lee, excellent thread! This is the first thing I am going to do, thnaks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Good points, safety is paramount. I have been thinking about it a lot lately, the recent tragedy really hit it home, running my 996 in the "fast" DE run group amongst a bunch of race cars gives me cause for concern. Here I am with a helmet and a seat belt, just one mistake away from a potential disaster at these speeds. I need to significantly upgrade the safety equipment before I am ready to hit the track again. I am planning a DAS roll bar and 6 points in addition to my present equipment.
The list of mods should be #1 safety, #2 driving lessons, #3 performance mods.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well put Doug.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

When I moved up from the C2 to the GT3 I made safety a priority. I got the Techequipment rollbar with cross brace, Schroth 6 point harness and GT3 seat. I had the sport seats in my old car and had to brace myself for many of the turns. Having a proper seat and the harness to hold you in place is key to both performing better and increasing safety.

As for helmets, I would say SA2000 is a must as protection decreases with age. Also, don't use a motorcycle helmet as auto helmets are designed for different types of crashes (a guy from Bell gave me a 20 minute lecture on the differences in design & function between the two). I use a neck collar and think of it as very cheap insurance if the unthinkable happens.

I don't think a fuel cell is necessary in our cars (I don't think the Cup cars have them) due to the design of the 911. However, I do still need to get an extinguisher. I've seen a few fires at the track and I think of it more as something I might need to help someone else out with.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

My first and only mods were the gt3 seats, 6-point schroth harness, DAS roll bar and the safecraft fire extinguisher. After the recent event I went ahead and bought the Isaac H&N restraint too. Our cars have plenty of power and have amazing handling right out of the box, the weakest link is safety.

Some pictures
Attached Images    
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a neck collar and think of it as very cheap insurance if the unthinkable happens.
Holger B, with all that money invested in car and safety equipment, and the fact that you have the right belts, you really, really should get a HANS. Really.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,802 Likes on 2,376 Posts

My first and only mods were the gt3 seats, 6-point schroth harness, DAS roll bar and the safecraft fire extinguisher. After the recent event I went ahead and bought the Isaac H&N restraint too. Our cars have plenty of power and have amazing handling right out of the box, the weakest link is safety.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup. Got the Shroth 6 points and just purchased the Tequipment roll bar. Next in line are the GT3 seats. All for the C4S. Pretty much what jeeva has. Have had a fire extinguisher in the car ever since I tried to help put out a fire on a Lotus Esprit by throwing dirt at it.

My challenge now is the Boxster. It's got the roll hoops, which have now been extended permanently on the 987S, welded to the chassis so it's even better than the tequipment bolt on. Problem are the seats. The new seats have airbags on the side. I have to find a way to replace the seats with GT3 or simillar seats without having the airbag alarm going off. Maybe the new GT3 seats on the 997 GT3 when it comes out will have these airbags and can bolt right in.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:03 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's great to see this dialog and to see people taking action to protect themselves and their passengers.

Please work with a professional to make sure everything is installed correctly. Anchor points, both location and type, are very important for your belts.

Palting, please don't use those harnesses until you get your new seats.

Have a great day. I'm headed for the track.
Jim
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Is it dangerous to run a rollbar (not a cage) without wearing a helmet (in a car only used around town and in the mountains)??
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread.
I've recently talked to one of our instructors who's also a chief ot tech. The only concern he expressed with installing the roll-bar, is if the car is ever driven on the street.
An accident on the street with a roll-bar installed could be deadly, as noone probably wears a helmet outside of the track.
Something to think about....

Quick Reply: Safety Equipment