Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a replacement engine a bad or good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is a replacement engine a bad or good thing?

So here is the issue. There is a 2002 996 that runs perfectly (in fact better than new), but keeps having a leaky rear main seal. The car has 40,000 miles on it, but the rear crankcase tolerance where the RMS goes is out of specification and continues to leak. Because of this, the car will get a replacement engine and an extended warranty courtesy of Porsche. My gut tells me this is a good thing as the chassis is tight, the rest of the mechanicals have been faultless, and the transmission is perfect. With a remanufactured engine, it seems like the car would be good for at least another 50K miles, but that this engine will need to be broken in again.

What is the consensus on this situation. Replacement engine good? or Replacement engine bad?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:56 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is no problem for either you to keep it or for a prospective buyer to evaluate it. New mechanicals and extended warranty...what could be wrong with that?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparetively speaking anything would be better than the engine that's in the car right now. Since Porsche is replacing it with a reman. unit there is no need to break it in, as they do that at the factory.
Good luck!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have about 7K on my replacement

I had a replcement due to a non-RMS issues (they still don't know what happened, or haven't told me but the engine let go -- I think it had a slightly cracked block when I got it from the Porsche dealer, but what do I know).

I was very happy with the process and I am very happy with the results as I noticed it running much better. My new engine (according to Porsche NA, as I called them) was 100% new internal and external parts, and only the block was remanufactured. Apparently this is a typical approach? And yes, it is all broken in and all by the factory. However, I still took it easy for the break-in period.

I personally think this would be a very good thing for overall performance and resale, but welcome other opinions.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it could be that an RMS leak is a manifestation of misaligned transmission.... that new motor going in will no doubt have ANOTHER RMS leak.... personally I wouldn't buy a car with a new motor.

If your car has RMS.. I don't think changing the motor will do any good... it will show its ugly head again.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by c70Pete
it could be that an RMS leak is a manifestation of misaligned transmission.... that new motor going in will no doubt have ANOTHER RMS leak.... personally I wouldn't buy a car with a new motor.

If your car has RMS.. I don't think changing the motor will do any good... it will show its ugly head again.
Help me understand what you mean by a misaligned transmission and how that could cause an RMS leak.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

A while ago and I read this here on rennlist... a porsche engineer suggested that the RMS leak is a manifestation of another physical problem in the motor.... and this problem would be a misaligned transmission -> beyond that I cannot explain nor understand the mechanism by which this incurs more RMS leaks... but from observation on this board... if you had one RMS your getting it again... also if your engine has NEVER had RMS before 40,000 miles, chances are everything is ok and you will never see it. (IMHO)
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I thinks its a good thing. Good warranty, 'new' engine...what do you have to loose?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

at the factory... the specialize at putting in new engines... don't know how good a local dealer will be cause they don't do it all the time... know somebody who has a replacement motor and there are still problems...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

I got a reman engine also and posted the same question elsewhere. The consensus was it is a neutral.
I have 1500 miles so far and no oil burning which was the reason for the change. I am happy thus far. Took it easy during the first 1000 miles or so and even a little now.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:20 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Having had a fresh unit put in by Porsche after 30K original miles, no oil leaks and perfect running make this a no brainer. Completely painless with nothing but a new, better motor.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If you keep the car yourself for a few years, a remanufactured engine should be a good deal for you. When you sell it, it may hurt your resale value because there are some Porsche buyers who won't buy a car with a remanufactured engine. Of course when selling, you could play dumb like many car dealers and claim that you have a new and not remanufactured engine.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
you could play dumb like many car dealers and claim that you have a new and not remanufactured engine.
My 2.5L Boxster engine was replaced at 45k mi with a remanufactured engine. My understanding is that "remanufactured" engines are new engines that failed factory bench testing and were sent back to the line for correction. These engines are again tested and then used for warranty purposes. My replacement engine was much stronger than the original. It pulled harder. I put 16k mi on it before selling it, with not one problem and no oil usage.

The person who bought my car considered the newer engine a plus, not a negative. There were potential buyers who were concerned about it however.

As for break-in, my SA told me the replacement engine was run-in at the factory, and to just keep the engine below 5200 for 500 mi or so.

If the engine in my 99 Cab failed today, and I got a new (remanufactured) engine it wouldn't bother me in the least, and I would probably keep my car longer due to the fresh engine and two year unlimited mile warranty that comes with it.

YMMV.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you are worried about placing well in the pebble beach concours then mismatched numbers will be a negative for you

can they tell you how many miles are on the remanufactured engine? are remanufactured engines essentially used engines brought back to the factory for rebuilding or are they new, straight off the line and put back in the line due to quality issues?

at any rate, a remanufactured engine should have been checked to be within tolerance and theoretically should not leak as your current engine does.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karlooz
if you are worried about placing well in the pebble beach concours then mismatched numbers will be a negative for you
I was going to have a little plate made with the original engine S/N on it to place over the remanufactured engines number. That should get me through Pebble Beach OK.

The other plus here is that with the engine out of the car, I can clean and wax the inside of the engine bay much easier than with the engine installed.

Quick Reply: Is a replacement engine a bad or good thing?