996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wax on wax off

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the NXT paste on my wheels yesterday. Smells good (I know I'm weird but that matters). Looks shiny.

Brake dust retention test now underway (I thought Rejex made it worse).
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about Zymol... I hear this is good stuff... anybody use this before... apparently it gets rid of swirl marks and leaves a great deep shine...
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Zymol is a good carnauba based wax (some types better than others), however, the durability is rather weak and cost is quite high. None of the zymol waxes will get rid of swirl marks. All carnauba based waxes have a some ability to hide swirls. The use of a polish prior to "waxing" is the only way to remove swirl marks. Proper preparation of the paint is more important than the final product used. A properly prepped car with cheapest turtle wax will look better than a nonprepped car with the most expensive Zymol wax.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

The zymol wax which removes swirls is the baby blue stuff which is marketed as "cleaner wax" this does a great job of filling in scratches and getting rid of swirl marks.... we put 3 coats on a friend's car... it was black in color... toughest color to work with and when we were done it looked like it was brand new... no swirl marks or anything... 2 coats usually does the trick but we did 3 thin coats on his car just for the heck of it and boy what a deep shine it produced.!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:39 AM
jb26jb
Racer

Each coat of cleaner wax probably removed the former layer of wax, the enhanced result you saw was probably the result of the polish in the cleaner wax, removing more of the swirls every time you reapplied it. Now that it looks good I would stay with a wax with no cleaning agents like p21s
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with Zymol is that it leaves an ample amount of dust to deal with, much more than other products I've tried. Other wise competitave results.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

P21S - does this last a long time..... can I apply P21S on a car that has been Zymoled?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
jb26jb
Racer

P21s is pretty durable probable 4-6 weeks as good as any wax. It will work fine over zymol. If you want something more durable you need to use a sealent like klasse, zaino, blackfire, etc. However, for most sealents you need to remove any wax before applying. Sealants can last up to 6 months or more depending if the car is garaged, how often washed and so on.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

right... but removing the wax will also remove the benefits the wax provides no? I thought the whole point of using the wax is to remove the swirls... will sealant have the same effect as wax? does it provide as deep a shine as wax?

thx
Peter
Old 05-24-2005, 04:15 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Technically wax does not remove swirls but hides them. Polish is what you use to remove or reduce swirls. Sealants do not hide swirls as well as wax but the protection of a sealant lasts longer than that of wax. As far as shine the consensus seems to be that a good wax will out perform a good sealant in giving depth and a wet look. I use sealant only and will top with a wax P21S or a glaze only when doing a car show which is about 2x a year. I a very happy with how two coats of the blackfire sealant I use looks. If you have the time there is nothing wrong with waxing every 6 weeks or so.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:48 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Tried the NXT paste today on the company barge (damn those big american cars have a lot of surface area). Looks good. dries pretty hard, was a reasonable amount of work to remove.

On a related topic, I noticed on that car that the windshield washer solvent that drippled on the hood ate away the clear coat. I tried scratch-x, and Meguiar's number 7 and a clay bar all to no avail.

I'm thinking that maybe for my car I should buy the Porsche w-w solvent. Is there such a thing?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey Lee...

Most windshield washer solution is hydro-carbon based--a solvent...at least the stuff you get at GI Joesephine's for two bucks a bottle. It's methyl alcohol and water...but not sure about the concentration. I never heard that it could eat clear coat but then I don't have a Yank Tank maybe clear coat is different on American iron...interesting...

I use about 20% car wash soap like (what else) McGuires and the rest H2O in my cars and it works just fine...super mild with just enough lifting power to get some of the grime off. Doesn't work real well on dried bird and bug squat though but then what does.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:01 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Thank you all for your interest and great information.

Seems like there are a lot of Zaino fans out there.
I could not get a hold of Zaino at the store. So I bought Zymol cleaner wax, and Meguiar's Quik Wax.

My son opened the Zymol and we went to work. The inconsistent swirls were a real problem, so we moved on to the Quik Wax. Easy to use and worked out great. The swirls were gone and the treatment was quite easy.

I suppose I should give the finish the old fashioned rub and wipe, and I will try another product and let you know the results.

I also bought Lexol leather cleaner and leather conditioner. I have not done the inside and will let you know how effective this product is.

Thanks

Gary

2004 C2 CAB
Old 05-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

that's hard to believe Gary, I've been using Zymol for years and it always takes away the swirls and leaves an awesome deep shine... where you waxing outside? how were you applying it and taking it off?

regards,
Peter
Old 05-28-2005, 07:24 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Peter

What kind of applicator do you use?

Quick Reply: Wax on wax off