Wax on wax off

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:13 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax on wax off

Hello all,

Could you recommend an exterior wax/polish to complement my regular washing. Ease of use is a key.

Also for the interior, what have you been using on the dash, instruments etc,...... and for the leather seats.

Do you use anything on the Cab top?

Thanks for your assisitance.

Gary

C2 CAB
Old 05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want a water based spray on wax that just wipes off after every wash, try "wax as you dry". There are other brands too. Key is to wipe off most water first and then spray and dry off completely. They work okay but you should still use a normal wax/polish underneath imo. For real wax/polish, i use zaino as it lasts longer than anything else and provide excellent protection against water and sun damage. the wax as you dry spray goes on top after every wash to provide additional sealing and shine.

i recommend lexal (sp?) for leather. for dash etc, i just wipe with damp towel bc i don't like the shiny stuff and it's bad to get reflection of your dash on windshield on sunny days w the shine.

cab top, rinse every other wash with stiff water. wash with "raggtop" or porsche's top detergent 1-2x a yr. spray on "raggtop" or porsche top protectant afterwards to protect it from sun and water. use lint roller to pick up fabric and dirt as needed. i cover the car when parked out to protect my top from sun damage also.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RejeX and the Porsche stuff for the top.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino.....no contest. So easy to use, I actually enjoy waxing the car. Not to mention great results, I always get lots of comments on the finish.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:04 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Lexol for leather, Vinylex for plastic, 3M Rubber for tires, P21S bodywork conditioning shampoo, P21S Concours Look Carnauba Wax, Meguiars Final finish #34, P21S Gel Special Perf. Wheel Cleaner, simichrome for wheels, Renovo Fabric Soft Top Cleaner(or Porsche soft top cleaner), oh yeah the kitchen sink. I love the P21S wax...rub it in with your fingers and wipe it off before it dries!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

McGuire's NXT Comes in wax, liquid and detail spray. Hands down better than Zaino, P21S, and Rejex, IMHO.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Rejex and detail spray is all I use. Only been washed with water twice in two plus years.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:34 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Zaino carried in any stores or just on their website?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:53 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a tin of NXT. Hope it smells as nice as Porsche Hartwax. Love that smell.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you can only buy Zaino on the web. I've been using there stuff for years and I do get the best results. I also have a few bottles of Rejex and that works well too.

I also really like the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner... has a great leather smell and doesn't change the patina.

Rob
Old 05-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Rejex and detail spray is all I use. Only been washed with water twice in two plus years.
Kirb...

With just detail and no water to lift off dirt? For sure? It would seem to me that when you dry you would be moving dirt around somewhat causing some scratching on the clear layer because coatings by waxes and sealers are only microns thick...can you tell me more how you 'wash' the car without H20...

Thx...

Jim
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leedav
I just bought a tin of NXT. Hope it smells as nice as Porsche Hartwax. Love that smell.

God Lee who'd ever use NXT?

(Just joking. I think you'll be impressed).
Old 05-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Kirb...

With just detail and no water to lift off dirt? For sure? It would seem to me that when you dry you would be moving dirt around somewhat causing some scratching on the clear layer because coatings by waxes and sealers are only microns thick...can you tell me more how you 'wash' the car without H20...

Thx...

Jim

I try to wipe it down at least once a week. I also use a CA Duster first. For people who've seen my car it works...stays clean and no scratches.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:21 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using Zaino's products for years and I highly recommend it. They came out with a product last year that significantly reduces the "cure" time. I must warn you that the first time you use it (if you do it right) you will spend a couple of hours washing, claying, re-washing and applying Zaino. Also, the first coat will be a little tougher to wipe/buff off. But subsequent applications will be easier -- I can do it in about 30-40 minutes on my cab. And with Zaino you want to apply multiple coats. I found about 3 coats of the Z-5 (swirl remover) followed by the Z-2 does the trick.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:04 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of getting the starter kit from Zaino. At $116 it seems to be the biggest bang for the buck for a high end car care system. It seems to have everything I need.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Quick Reply: Wax on wax off