Sponsored by:

Did The Valet SCREW My Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM
smjjpres
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did The Valet SCREW My Clutch?

*** valet pulled by c4s around and the clutch smelled repulsive. Pungent burning odour.

The car appeared to drive fine though the clutch seemed 'lighter' and easier to engage....which could have been in my mind.

How would I know if my clutch is damaged???

Only 2,500 miles on the car too....

Many thanks.

SM
04 C4s Cab
Old 04-17-2005, 02:11 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Doubtful one episode could damage the clutch, one inexperienced driver riding the clutch would produce those symptoms. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEVER VALET>
Old 04-17-2005, 12:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Valet is not the way to go unless you can park it up front yourself and keep the keys. Only way I do it.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Arthur
Pro

2,500 miles. I am sure the car looks good to a valet employee. Would not doubt that he took it fast from the parking space 1 block away. You know he went around the block maybe 3 times before he brought it to you. On 2nd gear, pegged to the rev limiter. Thus, the burnt smell of cosmoline. Or the clutch. Or both. Was the temp gauge past 180? Shouldn't be if it was just around the corner. Lesson learned. No one treats your car like you do. Now the obligatory wait to see if the dealer checks the car's brain and notices that it went over the redline 3 times. Ouch. Sorry. Just had to say it.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Ferris Bueller!!!

Heh-heh Couldn't resist. Poor valet probably doesn't know how to drive a stick. Good news is, you really really have to work awful hard to fry a clutch. If the clutch engages fine with no slippage, which it sounds like it is, it's fine.

BTW, I do valet the car whenever the occasion calls for it. It's just a car, and I use it to enjoy it. Worrying about valets isn't worth it. There are more horror stories about service employees taking cars out for joyride "test-runs" than there are valet stories. There's one about a Mustang Cobra where the service employee posted his exploits on a BB, little realizing that a friend of the owner was on the same BB.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:27 PM
mtb968
Instructor

One of the mags did a recent long term test on a C4S, and said the clutch lasted well beyond expectations. You should have anything to worry about - I've smelled that clutch smell myself after a dumb gear selection moment (or when letting a novice take her out for a spin).
Old 04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Thegman
Banned

Just a war story: I bought a 5 speed Neon from a local dealer. Brought it in for a sway bar and Borla install and came back later to get it. A short time later I see a car jockey pulling a "hot start" unit to my (new) car. This idiot didn't know that you must depress the clutch to engage the starter. And this dude worked for a dealer and moved cars all day long. Please never give your Porsche to a valet! Bring your beater or the SUV or take a cab or limo.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Thanks all, much appreciated. I was very concerned when the car came back smelling like burnt rubber & clutch.

I can relax now as everything seems to function properly.

My only request to this valet company; 'never have that moron parking cars again' (as he worked for the primary valet company that parks for the Dallas hot spots).

Me
Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 PM
yongster
Racer

That happened a few times with my old 993C4S, and the clutch was still fine after 60,000kms when I sold it (this included many track days). Ludwig Heimrath, who once raced for Porsche, told me that a clutch should last at least 60,000 kms even with hard use (for an amateur DE guy like me). No probs with my GT3 clutch either.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Never Valet. If you must TIP well before hand and let the Valet know just what you will do if the car is messed up in any way when you return.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arthur
.....No one treats your car like you do. Now the obligatory wait to see if the dealer checks the car's brain and notices that it went over the redline 3 times. Ouch. Sorry. Just had to say it.
The rev limiter would have protected any over rev and cut in to reduce throttle so no worries on that. The main issue is if he did a stage 2 downshift. This the dealer will pick up and invalidate your warranty!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
NEVER VALET>
Absolutely - 150% agree. Never, EVER valet. (or let monkeys drive the car - same thing.)

Chad
Old 04-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, owning a 924S, and not a 996, it's slightly different....

if/when I valet (it's rare... only if I'm running late and it's downtown where parking is impossible on weekends) I give a good $5.00 tip up front... This was a tip given to me by a couple good friends who work as Valets....

A side note, When I worked at the Porsche dealer, we had a guy come in with a brand new 996 TT for service.... He had his car Valet parked, and the dumbass valet went too far foward when parking, and cracked the middle radiator on the parking block. Also, tore off the black plastic air dam under the grilles. Poor guy didn't catch it until 10 miles down the road when he ran outa coolant. Called the Valet company, and they said, "You didn't catch it, accepted delivery of the car, we are not at fault. you can't prove anything" So he was left with a $1,500.00+ repair bill...

So, the moral of the story is, tip well in advance, check the car when it comes back for EVERYTHING, or park the car yourself...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chads996
Absolutely - 150% agree. Never, EVER valet. (or let monkeys drive the car - same thing.)

Chad

if you guys lived in NY, you wouldn't have that luxury. You pretty much are forced to valet in Manhattan... which obviously = SUCKS

Quick Reply: Did The Valet SCREW My Clutch?