Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 cab VS. m3 cab anyone with experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:33 PM
dsher
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 cab VS. m3 cab anyone with experience?

I currently have a 1999 996 cab and drove a 2002 m3 cab today first warm day here in wisconsin, does anyone with experience with these 2 cars care to comment on their driving experience and pros and cons of ownership thanks for your advice
Old 03-26-2005, 11:57 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

my brother has an 04 m3 cab and hates it. Too heavy and rough for just cruising around. He wishes he bought the 3 cab and saved the dough for another day....

Porsche cab seems to be a better ride in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Jet993tt
Track Day

I had a 2003 M3 Cab with SMG...hated it! Fast, but heavy and poorly built. Plus the engines fail at a high rate. Traded on 1996 993TT (had 4 previous 911s) and love it. Added 2003 996 C2 and love it also. Better built, more solid, lighter...much more fun! Keep the Porsche cab or trade for 997. I think BMW is really going downhill. Had a M5 and it was nothing but trouble.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

996 vs. M3 is my decision point as well. Yes the M3 is a heavy car like its competition (S4 & CLK 55 AMG), and had the major rod bearing recall issue to deal with. Overall reliability seems OK. But it is a fun car to drive, and has a great exhaust note. With the 2 kid issue hanging over me, it also doesn't hurt that it is larger in interior room and less expensive to buy.

The fundamental question I have to answer is the M3 a real sportscar or a coupe with a lot of performance?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM
dsher
Intermediate

Default m3 vs. upgrade

tried a smg 02 cab m3 smg not intuative to use pretty fast but harsher ride feedback seems to agreefound a 2002 996 cab with 16k miles but cost is 60k at dlr. 20k is a big price to pay for upgrade thoughts ?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

SMG is just another goofy automatic in disguise

And no, this isn't a rant against automatics so much as a stab against the marketing tactics used to sell these transmissions to the masses

The M3 manual is pretty nice, good stiff clutch, could use a shorter throw shifter. Like I said in your other thread, I'd keep the 996 I had unless the kids issue gets in the way. Go on the M3 forum, they have lots of respect for the 911 series. I see lots of folks going from M3 to 911 (natural evolutionary process), none going the other way. Since I have neither, I think my choice is a little more wide open.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:08 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark

And no, this isn't a rant against automatics so much as a stab against the marketing tactics used to sell these transmissions to the masses
SMG is a "robotic" manual transmission, not at all like an automatic transmission, apart from it having an "automatic" mode. Completely different than a tiptronic (audi/porche), or bmw's steptronic, for instance.

I'm not saying it works well as a driver, just saying it's a very sporting setup.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:19 PM
JMQ
Intermediate

I've go a 2004 c4 cab. My Partner has gone thru 4 M3s in the last 9 years. Latest is a cab. I like the every day usage of the M3 but it just dosent have the 911 spirit. I think if you are just looking at the numbers get the M3. If fun is a no cost factor get a 911 TT or c4s
Old 03-27-2005, 04:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
SMG is a "robotic" manual transmission, not at all like an automatic transmission, apart from it having an "automatic" mode. Completely different than a tiptronic (audi/porche), or bmw's steptronic, for instance.

I'm not saying it works well as a driver, just saying it's a very sporting setup.
You are right on target. The M3 isn't offered with an automatic transmission. The M3 comes with manuals with and without clutch pedals, but both are manuals. As to whether or not an SMG transmission is sporting, all F1 cars have them. Shifts with SMG technology are executed in a few thousands of a second, and that's why the F1 cars have them. If I lived in the city or did a lot of stop and go driving, I wouldn't hesitate to get an SMG from BMW or DSG from Audi.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have more faithin E46 M3 reliability than 996 N/A power.. at least BMW steps up to the plate and offers an extended warranty. what's porsche done so far with RMS.

you guys are a crack up.

both cars are heavy and offer lighter and better performing coupes. if you're going convertible, always know you sacrificed performance for drop top fun.

M3 cab is a much better translation than the carrera cab. carrera cab has got to be the most disproportionate car out there on the road today.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I'd have more faithin E46 M3 reliability than 996 N/A power.. at least BMW steps up to the plate and offers an extended warranty. what's porsche done so far with RMS.

you guys are a crack up.

both cars are heavy and offer lighter and better performing coupes. if you're going convertible, always know you sacrificed performance for drop top fun.

M3 cab is a much better translation than the carrera cab. carrera cab has got to be the most disproportionate car out there on the road today.
agreed

Originally Posted by Shark
wrong.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 AM
P. Viby
Advanced

Hahaaa.....This is a good topic :-) How about we find some BMW forum and post it over there

I will bet that we find a lot of people over there who would go for the M3. But it could be fun to hear the arguements.

Well I have never driven a M3, but to me it is not a sports car....more like a family car with some mods.

Porsche forever
Old 03-28-2005, 07:18 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by P. Viby
Hahaaa.....This is a good topic :-) ...

Well I have never driven a M3, but to me it is not a sports car....more like a family car with some mods.

Porsche forever

Although I'm not sure what the precise definition of a sports car is, I think it's fair to say that a 996 is a sports car and the M3 is a sports coupe. Since the engine, suspension, and transmission are unique to the M3, I wouldn't classify the M3 as modded family sedan.

I've never owned an M3 vert, but I'm certain that its performance is comparable to a 996 vert. If it were me and I had a need for a useable back seat for the kids, the M3 vert would be a no-brainer. If you have your heart set on a a 996 however, why not buy an Elantra for around $12K and then use your 996 as a pleasure car?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Re-animator
Racer

It depends on the use. For a track car, the M3 Coupe is a blast. The M3 cab I drove hard recently had more rattles than my '01 996 Cab had cowl shake; which was greatly corrected with an evoms front strut brace, believe it or not. Concerning power delivery; the V-tech leaning guys will go for the M, considering the torque curve and high revving HP. Guys who want a flatter torque curve and midrange power with a GT package will go for the 996 cab. If you want a track screamer, than get a M3 Coupe as the Cab makes it different enough in torsional rigidity to disqualify it, IMHO. Status; a Carrera is a 40 year evolution that will turn heads and get respect ALWAYS, while an M3 is a bit more boy racer. If you can handle the Bangle (Bungle) inspired looks of new 3 series, then wait for the M3 (E90) with four doors and an 8.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
7sport
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dsher
I currently have a 1999 996 cab and drove a 2002 m3 cab today first warm day here in wisconsin, does anyone with experience with these 2 cars care to comment on their driving experience and pros and cons of ownership thanks for your advice

I own a 996 Cab ('99) and have driven an M3 cab on occasion (2001), so my experience is about the same as yours but I will offer my feedback anyway.

I think you'd be very happy to stay with the 996. The M3 cab (not coupe) doesn not feel nearly as sporty or connected as the 996. It is a fun car to drive and a bit more practical that the 996 but one major issue that some others have already touched on is the cowl shake in the M3. It is very apparent (even in stock form) whereas it is hardly apparent (at least by comparison) in the 996. I would say my 996 rattles a little more than the M3 did but that car was 2 years newer and mine has a lowered suspension and is driven much more enthusiastically on a regular basis.

One other area you may be interested in is exclusivity. Where I live (this may not apply to many of you) there are on the order of 10 M3's to every one 911.

In summary, the only thing the M3 cab offers over the 996 cab is a bit of practicality, but if that is not at or very close to the top of your list of priorities, then I'd stick with the 996.

That being said, its always nice to get a new (different) car every so often

Quick Reply: 996 cab VS. m3 cab anyone with experience?