Sponsored by:

High mileage reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:54 AM
skyline23
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High mileage reliability

hello everyone, new guy here whos hoping you guys could help guide me in the right direction...i have been saving for the past three years to be able to buy my dream car straight up,cash( no monthly payments)...i plan on spending aroung 45K max on the car...the problem that i have,however, is that i have two dream cars...a 996 911, and gasp, and e46 M3...now what makes this interesting is the conditions of the cars that i could get...for 45, i could get a 2003 m3 with all my options, still under warranty...for the porche, i think i would be lucky to get a 2000 with 50k miles,out of warranty...Now i guess the issue i have is, the car is going to be my one and only daily driver...The smaller trunk size and small back seat of the porsche doenst bother me one bit, but what will be the decision maker for me i think is the reliability of a high mileage 996...Between both cars, performance is pretty even(i would track the cars once in awhile), looks are subjective, and space doesnt matter to me, so what it really comes dowen to is reliability as a daily driver...For you guys with firsthand experience, if trated properly is the 996 a car you can just get in and drive,with no fears of it not starting,or breaking down on you?what is the maintenance cost out ofr warranty?anyway, any info would help,thanks...
Old 03-20-2005, 10:34 AM
my996a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can get a better deal on the 996. I bought my 99 cab two and half years ago with 25k miles on it for $53k. (manual, C4. Put nearly $15k in mods into it since then but did not have to. Biggest maintence expense was the 30k mile maintance - about $1500 with some additional things at the same time.) There are better deals out there now. Look around. As far as daily driver - I have not had any problems with it when I use it as a daily car over the spring, summer, and early fall. In winter I garage it because I use a SUV in the snow. Overall, I have enjoyed it tremendously. If I had to do over again, I would have waited to purchase in late fall or early winter for a better deal.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:02 AM
mim3
Instructor

1999 C4 with warranty and only 17K miles. What are you looking for?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 AM
ZeeZee
Instructor

I bought my 99 cab 2 years ago with 32k miles for low $40s. You can do better.

Mileage shouldn't be too much of a reliability issue, I haven't heard of any problems with high-mile 996s. In fact, the only issues I've really ever hear dof with these cars comes from weekend drivers, so in a way having a higher mileage car might actually be a better thing (means it was driven as a daily driver).

I've seen a bunch of posts about reliability, seems that those cars that make it to the 40s don't have any issues. Mine's at 46k now, no prbs at all (knock on wood, of course)...
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM
frayed
Race Car

Some rambling, not well written thoughts. All usual disclaimers apply:

I'm fairly experienced in the BMW camp, after many years of BMW ownership. In fact, M3s have always been my first love and never really pictured myself in a 911. Only recently have I been playing around in the Pcar world. I've always been attracted to the sedan with sports car-like performance. . . more of a sleeper, since everyone *expects* a 911 to be fast.

The bottom line is this: the M3 will prove a better daily driver, the Pcar the better sports car. The 996 has vastly superior steering feel and is more engaging to drive, more 'connected' if you will. It has unmistakable style (yeah, even the 996s) that will age well. But, its controls feel cheaper than the M3, the interior (w/o full leather) noticably not as nice, and visibilty is worse. The M3 more lux, and is more like a german muscle car: Phooking killer engine with a chassis that can't lay down the power like the Pcar, while the Pcar is a tighter, more comprehensive, better executed sports car package.

Both can get around a racetrack in about the same time, but the Pcar will feel more like a sportscar doing it, though the rearengine thing is wildly different than a conventional front engine/rear drive layout (admittedly, I'm in rear engine learning stage since its new to me). The powerplant and sophisticated rear diff are the saving graces on the E46, and go a long way in making up for its bloated weight.

Also, and many here will disagree, I think the M3 motor is superior than the 996 boxer variants; it has a more visceral appeal and feels more flexible. The boxer motors do not feel as raw and feel a bit fuzzy down low. (I'm not talking about the GT-derived GT3 motor here, which is on another plane; I've been in GT3s on track and had one for a day on the street)

As for reliabilty, my money is on a 40k mile 996 (any variant) with a clean repair history over any E46 M3. Folks on this board get their panties in a bunch about a leaking seal (RMS), but the 996s aren't grenading like the high strung 3.2L S54. That said, certain years of the E46 (2001 and 2002?) have extended 100k mileage coverage on the motor which can ease some concerns. In addition, if you go for the M3, I'd personally skip SMG. It takes some of the fun out of driving the car on the street, and there have been reports of SMG meltdowns; not a good choice if you are concerened with long term, out of warranty reliability.

In the end, buy the car that speaks to you, makes you feel all giddy inside. Otherwise, you will regret your decision.

-----------

Datapoint: I'm picking up this car next week. Cost about $40k. The 996s have depreciated like rocks and good deals abound. I'll play with this car for a spell, and watch all the new metal roll out from Porsche and BMW and pick up something new and compelling like the Cayman Club Sport or new GT3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/192265-back-in-the-saddle-again-pcar-on-the-way.html
Old 03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
RLandis
Racer

I've had 'em all......Go with the P.....where are you located?? I'm sure if you post your location, people will have good ideas where to steer you for a deal.....if you're near Nashville, I know a lot with a very seasoned, fair salesperson, with a lot of expertise in the P line, and he has inventory....there are GREAT deals out there, and there's NO reason that a 996 can't be a daily driver....many here will attest to that!!!!!
Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:24 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

SKyline: I bought my 01' used last year with 37k miles on the ticker. Last last weekend I hit 50K. I use the car everyday, rain, sun or snow and I find it very reliable. The only issues I have had is a coolant tank and minor littile issues that don't require not driving the car. I have/or will have done about $9K in modes includes in Fabspeed exhaust, intake, Cross JIC coilovers, gt3 sways and gt3 seats. Thats is, I am done. The are came with all the Fabspeed gear.

With all this, I still have never had issues with the car, touch wood. Also, I live in Brooklyn and if you have ever driven around here, you would know that the roads are crap and your car will take a bit more of a beating.

I should also note that 6 months ago I paid $51k for a 01' C4 with 38K miles, including a Porsche warranty. So, I would say you should do much better in price.

Chris J
Old 03-20-2005, 12:40 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Wouldn't a certified car be your best option? Costs of repair are always an issue, and the $1800 for the certified premium is well worth it over the course of the miles. It will also encourage you to get to 100K.
I think the 996 is a very comfortable daily driver. Issues like tire noise are brand and wear dependent. Reliability is ideosyncratic with any used car. Obviously, getting the service records is ideal if available. If it's from the dealer, I'd request a read of the DME for type 2 over-revs to give a clue regarding past excesses.
The 3 series will always seem like the kid brother, while the 996 is the varsity athlete. AS
Old 03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I will go with a porsche certified 996 as well.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Jet993tt
Track Day

I have had 3 M3's and 4 911's. I greatly prefer the 996 C2 over the E46 M3. Feels lighter, quicker, lighter steering etc. Go 996 and you won't be disappointed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: High mileage reliability