Sponsored by:

Back in the saddle again; Pcar on the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:13 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle again; Pcar on the way

My first Porsche was a Speed Yellow C4S. After 6 months, two track weekends and 5,000 miles I sold it. Compared to my modified E36, I felt the car was not as engaging or nearly as sharp in its reflexes. I also never warmed to the rear engine thing, as it is quite a different experience at the limit on the track. Other issues: stiff clutch, unresponsive motor down low, and generally 'heavy' feeling. Didn't like the way the car toggled b/t understeer/oversteer either with seemingly no happy medium.

The rear engine thing I can learn, and thinking that many of my issues were related to the specific car I bought (which seemed to have a hard life prior to my ownership) as well as AWD, decided that a RWD variant in good condition would be more my cup of tea.

So, I drove a friend's 00 C2 on Wednesday and decided to buy it, pic below. The 3.4 revs noticably better than the 3.6 in the C4S (though it doesn't have the torque punch), clutch feels great and steering lighter. The car, at about 3000lbs feels every bit the 300lbs lighter than the C4S, has more of a sports car feel so to speak. 996 C2s are getting really cheap and represent great buys, especially if you plan to goof around with it and do some modifications.

It's getting Motons, roll bar, ltw wheels, GT3 seats, PSE, GT3 console delete, and rear seats and sound deadening will be removed, all of which I don't mind doing on a 5 year old car, but I couldn't do on a new 997.

Anyway, I don't mean to knock the C4S as they are great road cars, but I definitely prefer the feel of the RWD platform.

Cheers.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2005, 10:24 AM
RLandis
Racer

How much did you lose on the C4S?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Frayed,
Glad your back on board. That's a very clean looking c2. If you ever see something blue, fuzzy and loud in your rear view mirror at the track, just give me and my C4S a pass signal and it will all be over soon!
Chris
Old 03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

For racing around my old 996 lowered seemed much lighter and had more feel than my 997 for sure.

The sport chrono mode helps the 997 feel quicker though....I think I am mainly feeling the difference because of the cushy new suspension vs. the old tight one!

I love these cars!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
frayed
Race Car

RLandis: I bought the C4S from a leasing company for 59k but had to put new rubber on it (1k). I sold it for 54k (I think, can't remember exactly). 5k ain't chump change, but not bad for 5,000 miles and some track time.

Surgeon, LOL. And if you see a slammed, winged GT3-looking C2 in your rear view, don't fret at all. I'll soon exit the track backwards trying to keep up with you.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:34 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
RLandis: I bought the C4S from a leasing company for 59k but had to put new rubber on it (1k). I sold it for 54k (I think, can't remember exactly). 5k ain't chump change, but not bad for 5,000 miles and some track time.

Surgeon, LOL. And if you see a slammed, winged GT3-looking C2 in your rear view, don't fret at all. I'll soon exit the track backwards trying to keep up with you.

I think your car looks slick - good choice
Old 03-19-2005, 12:04 PM
RLandis
Racer

P-Car fanatic: Have you found any interesting rides/drives around the Nashville area? Let me know the routes!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome back. Any Porsche is a good car. Congrats!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frayed
It's getting Motons, roll bar, ltw wheels, GT3 seats, PSE, GT3 console delete, and rear seats and sound deadening will be removed, all of which I don't mind doing on a 5 year old car, but I couldn't do on a new 997.
Cheers.

This is truly a fantastic project,...my post on the dreams of the gt3 killing 996 which was recently resurrected from the dead talks about this....for the price of a used 996, this truly sounds like an excellent way to go. But, think hard about the PSE, there are other lighter exhaust options...jim.B can chime in on this. Also, IMO the taco spolier etc. just adds extra weight. But the car looks very clean. Even with a possible target weight of ~2800 lbs, it's no gt3 killer...a s.c down the road may just do the trick. For me, I am going to wait for the cayman c.s. Good luck.

P.S: I'll take my C4S over a C2 3.4/3.6 any day, but I too cannot justify ripping the interior out on the sexy C4S, and thus the choice of the cheaper 3.4C2 for my imaginary project.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Well, I figger getting the power/weight ratio in GT3 territory is prohibitively expensive, but it's cheap to get to GT3-level handling. A properly sorted suspension setup and camber up front will go a long way toward getting there.

The car is $39k. I'm thinking about 6k in suspension work, throw in another 4k for other stuff, and I'm there.

I already own the PSE, but you bring up a good point about other choices to reduce weight. I'm thinking along the 9ff lines as featured in the recent Excellence.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet man...glad to see you back in a Porsche. I repsonded on Roadfly as well...

Chad

Quick Reply: Back in the saddle again; Pcar on the way