Sponsored by:

Silly Gas Cap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:37 PM
dsteinaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly Gas Cap Question

I bought a new gas cap from Porsche and this one has a rubber strap with a ring on the end. What does the ring hook up to on my 99 C2 ? I cant find anything to hook the strap onto and I dont want to lose another cap.Thanks in advance, Dean
Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The ring goes around the metal tube/neck so that you can let the cap "dangle" after you remove it.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

There is also a small hook on the gas cap door. Once you have the ring around the tube neck, you hang the rubber strap on this hook so that the gas cap does not sit on the paint finish as you gas up.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tether is normally removed from the cap for your year. You do not have the hook on the gas cap flap. You do not have the correct hole for the rivet that secures the end of the tether. The tether started in 2001 on the Boxster and I assume the same year for the 996.

There should also be a plastic rivet in the box for the end of the tether. There is a hole under the flap in the middle. You can use that hole if the end of the tether is one the backside of the hole. Otherwise the flap will not close all the way if you use the front side.

Or drill a hole in the proper location for the rivet.

You can see the hole you have in the upper left of the pic. If you drill then make the hole as shown further down where the plastic rivet is.

Quick Reply: Silly Gas Cap Question