Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The ultimate safe gt3 killing 996 track car? Just a thought?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate safe gt3 killing 996 track car? Just a thought?

Now that 996's can be had for ~30k., how is this for the ultimate track car...an alternative to a stock gt3...safer and cheaper. Safety is paramount...and yes I want PSM too.

A base 996, remove all creature comforts like sound insulation, center console, radio, a/c etc. Add gt3 seats, roll cage, light wheels and exhaust, and a killer suspension/sway bars. Can a weight of 2,800 be achieved, can it be comparable to a gt3 on the trrack, certainly safer and cheaper, but may not be quite up to par to a gt3.

Now, put carbon fibre on everything behind the A-pillar (how lighter will it be, is 2700lbs or less be achievable) AND/OR a supercharger, now this will be a cool custom race car, and a good alternative to trading in my C4S for a gt3 or tt... keep the C4S and my very own SAFE custom race car, how cool is that

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 01-13-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool. Read on the latest Excellence with 9ff "clubsport". I think this is very doable for a LOT less money than buying a GT3. I am in the works to develop this plan.

C.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

that wold be very awsome.

costs tho:

996 in good condition let say 37,000$
supercharger: 10 grand
moton supension and gt3 sways: 6-7 grand
complete carbonfiber GT3RS bodykit: 5500$ (TRG pricing roughly)
gt3 seats: 2600$
BBS/FISKE Rims: anywhere from 2800-4000
Exhaust (headers, cat bypasses, muffler bypasses): 2600$
rollcage: probabl like 2-3 grand.
custom ECU tuning: no clue...depending on labor i guess.
add tax/shipping to most of that - the money you get for selling the old parts..
not sure howmuch that comes too but is it still a big enough gap to justify? the GT3 will probably be far more reliable in the long run as you might have to deal with RMS leaks once in a while on the 996 C2.

is it a really awsome sounding idea? hell yes.
the question is, will you be able to catch those tuned GT3's with owners who might as well live at the track
Old 01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

if you bought my 996c2, you are 75% the way there. just stuff in a SC and stripp it. it's got everything else you mentioned. but it's sold already ;-(
Old 01-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$37K in two months will be high. You wait. And why do you need a supercharger? There is room to play on these cars, n/a.

C.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ i'm sure there probably is. reworked cams, throttle body, open exhaust, ECU tuning, con rods. i probably wouldn't want to up displacement but i guess it is possible too....what else am i forgeting..

cost to result tho... how far can you really get with N/A tuning on a 3.4L...360-370HP @ the motor at most? maybe 380-390 on the 3.6L?
and when all is said and done you've spent almost as much as the supercharger.

edit: then again..that kind of power in the right hands would probably turn some mighty fast lap times.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Jeeva,

Why would the C4S be any safer than the other cars you compare with? Why on earth would a 4WD car be an ideal track weapon and sorry, but ultimate track cars don't have PSM?!

As soon as you start adding carbon fiber panels you are looking at major $$$$$ and might as well trade for a GT3 if it is the ultimate track/race car you are after. Or, optionally find a half way finished project that you can finish off, since hopefully most major costs are already absorbed. That supercharger is also not cheap.

A C2 yes maybe but a C4 or C4S, no way.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chads996
$37K in two months will be high. You wait. And why do you need a supercharger? There is room to play on these cars, n/a.

C.

You are absolutely right, I don't like the idea of SC that much either, but definitely want to lighten it a whole lot, and improve the stock suspension, will be done over a long time, so easy on the wallet. (But, really may need a sc or carbon fiber to be competetive with the gt3's). I did not know that moton suspension is 6-7k, heck may have to compromise a bit to keep it under budget, but some of you suggested pricings are high DeAd-Eye.

Ofcourse a gt3 wiill be better on it's own, i am talking about keeping my C4S for daily driving and this for track.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Jeeva,

Why would the C4S be any safer than the other cars you compare with? Why on earth would a 4WD car be an ideal track weapon and sorry, but ultimate track cars don't have PSM?!

A C2 yes maybe but a C4 or C4S, no way.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post, I know an ultimate track car cannot have PSM, but for ME an ideal SAFE track car is the one with PSM. I never said 4wd is an ideal track weapon either? and also to me C4S IS safer than a gt3...eventhough I specifically didn't mention that here. I did say base 996 implying a C2.

I am NOT looking for the ideal track car, and I don't want to beat the modded gt3's on the track. All I was saying is I think my planned track vehicle will be safer than a gt3, and even be comparable in performance to the mighty gt3 in stock form..... I know there is always a bigger fish in the ocean...I absolutely don't care whether it's the best out there...
Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a pretty dumb idea and waste of money, but I kind of want to see it happen. Knock yourself out
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm.... Under 2900 lbs, 3.6 x51, Moton dampers, cage, sway bars, monoballs, racing seats, no cats, no mufflers, light wheels. Sounds like fun to me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like fun to me.
FWIW I like my C4S at the track, really runs hard, like it's on rails. With track tires it's unbelievable. I'm not sold on the sc either, almost pulled the trigger twice this year, didn't. I will wait for the 997GT3 next, but for now my C4S kicks *** and takes names, I love it!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amir,
Why is it a dumb idea?

Jeeva,
I, obviously, think it's a great idea but don't count on killing too many GT3s. Properly driven they are way fast on the track.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Webtool
Instructor

I think any ambitious project like this one is a great idea.
I would try making your own carbon fibre panels. Start with something easy like the hood, using the existing piece (properly waxed) as a male plug mold.
There is a ton of info on DYI methods including vacuum bagging which is not as tricky as it sounds.
Carbon Fibre is not expensive to buy in fabric form and neither is epoxy. The worst that can happen if it doesn't work out is some sticky fingers and a little mess. Think of the fun & prestige of your own work on this.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Jim. B, your car is exactly what I am talking about, except in the initial stages I'll keep cat. etc. to keep it street legal. May i ask whether you have any carbon fibre body panels, and what it cost you for the overall package, excluding the base car. Also, I am dissapointed to hear that it still cannot kill a gt3...oh well...what other mods. can bring it closer, as I mentioned 2800 pounds is not goig to do it, but what abou a SC or carbon fibre?

Webtool, did you say DIY, oh no,no.no, I have to run to my mechanic for anything other than a tire change...so it'll be out to my mechanic for each mod., but I think it'll still be a lot of fun. Also, I am not going to go out there and do this now, just dreaming...may not be a far fetch though..as I have hinted it to my boss/wify, and I did not get any dirty looks, so it's possible.

Quick Reply: The ultimate safe gt3 killing 996 track car? Just a thought?