Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The ultimate safe gt3 killing 996 track car? Just a thought?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Sounds like fun to me.
FWIW I like my C4S at the track, really runs hard, like it's on rails. With track tires it's unbelievable. I'm not sold on the sc either, almost pulled the trigger twice this year, didn't. I will wait for the 997GT3 next, but for now my C4S kicks *** and takes names, I love it!

I absolutely love my C4S, but eventually I wanted to switch to a 996gt3 or 997gt3, but something happened last wknd., after some hefty traffic points I've stopped speeding, except on empty ramps. This wknd., I was really pushing it on an entry ramp,(I havn't driven the poker in wks.) I saw two cars on the inside lanes, and slightly lifted the throttle (I did not know I was at the edge of handling), only to find the rear end wanting to overtake the front...it all happened in slow-motion...thanks for my limited track experience...I got back on the gas, corrected my steering angle, and recovered...BUT all along I was talking to my PSM "buddy, i'll do what I have to, you just help me along", it was the most reassuring feeling...especially with a fast approaching light pole. We all take safety seriously on the track, infact most drive atmost 80%, why not have a PSM and a SAFE car, It will not be the macho thing to do, but I want to keep racing... not watch it in a wheel chair.

Infact, I like my C4S so much I don't think I can part with it even for a TT or gt3, thus keep it and another SAFE race car, best of both worlds for me.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the oil kit, mayb a third radiator...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Safety seems to be on the top of your agenda, get a rollcage! Motrorsport has never been said to be a safe sport.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeeva,
No CF. PCA club racing does not allow it in the stock classes. The problem I see with CF is that the easy applications are on the front of the car. You really want to take weight off the back. Not that that makes it bad, just not as valuable as weight loss in back or up high.

One comment on a cage, you really can't have one in a street car. I would never drive a car with a cage without a helmet. When I crashed at Road America I banged my head hard enough on the cage that I was seeing stars for 10 minutes and that was with a helmet.

I'm afraid to admit what I have in my car. I could easily own a new cup car for what I've put into it. Great fun though.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Jim, Good point about the roll cage, I never thought of that.

Mr C4, REALLY! motorsport unsafe? good to know.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
Webtool, did you say DIY, oh no,no.no, I have to run to my mechanic for anything other than a tire change...so it'll be out to my mechanic for each mod., but I think it'll still be a lot of fun. Also, I am not going to go out there and do this now, just dreaming...may not be a far fetch though..as I have hinted it to my boss/wify, and I did not get any dirty looks, so it's possible.
DIY - YEAH!!! Sign me up! I did most of the work on my last toy. I just got my factory 996 repair manuals. I am ready to rock!!

Chad
Old 01-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chads996
DIY - YEAH!!! Sign me up! I did most of the work on my last toy. I just got my factory 996 repair manuals. I am ready to rock!!

Chad

Keep us updated with pictures.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by JimB
One comment on a cage, you really can't have one in a street car. I would never drive a car with a cage without a helmet. When I crashed at Road America I banged my head hard enough on the cage that I was seeing stars for 10 minutes and that was with a helmet.
Thread back from the dead; one comment on the cage issue.

While I too would not drive a caged car on any sort of regular basis on the street, I've always consider a roll bar to be suitable for street use, as in a combo street driven/track driven car. What do you think?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

are you the same frayed on elisetalk?

"I'm afraid to admit what I have in my car. I could easily own a new cup car for what I've put into it. Great fun though."________________

dont tell me that jimB, you are scaring me ;-)
Old 03-18-2005, 06:01 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
$37K in two months will be high. You wait. And why do you need a supercharger? There is room to play on these cars, n/a.

C.
that 9ff clubsport you mentioned does not go to gt3 power levels. i think they mentioned a 30HP increase (unless i misread the article). new cams, a shaved head, new exhaust, ECU remapping etc. when all is said and done you are still below gt3 power and it cost as much as a supercharger. the supercharger, however, will go above and beyond the gt3 specs.

i think 80 horses is a stretch is for the 3.4 cars.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
that 9ff clubsport you mentioned does not go to gt3 power levels. i think they mentioned a 30HP increase (unless i misread the article). new cams, a shaved head, new exhaust, ECU remapping etc. when all is said and done you are still below gt3 power and it cost as much as a supercharger. the supercharger, however, will go above and beyond the gt3 specs.

i think 80 horses is a stretch is for the 3.4 cars.
Weight and power is the key. Though...a supercharger would suffice.

No argument there.

Chad
Old 03-18-2005, 07:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
are you the same frayed on elisetalk?
Yeah. I didn't go through with the Elise though. Been thinking noble. Was also thinking gutting the E36 for track duty and going with a pimp daily driver like the AMV8.

In the end, yesterday I settled on picking up a used 996 C2, modding the hell out of it until the Cayman Club Sport and 997 Gt3 are out, and then go for the gusto. I figger I can have fun in a 2000 C2 (has GT3 Mk1 aero kit), add roll bar and Motons and pound on it for a year or two before moving on.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:00 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moot,
I'm afraid it's true but I bought the car new so I started at $70K+, then I put a whole bunch of money into it, then I wrecked it and rebuilt it, then I converted it to a 3.6L X51. Not a cheap way to build a track car. Fun though.
Jim
Old 03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Yeah. I didn't go through with the Elise though. Been thinking noble. Was also thinking gutting the E36 for track duty and going with a pimp daily driver like the AMV8.

In the end, yesterday I settled on picking up a used 996 C2, modding the hell out of it until the Cayman Club Sport and 997 Gt3 are out, and then go for the gusto. I figger I can have fun in a 2000 C2 (has GT3 Mk1 aero kit), add roll bar and Motons and pound on it for a year or two before moving on.

from early reports the 997 GT3 will have the m97 block. can you say RMS? i would try to scoop up a 996 gt3.

Quick Reply: The ultimate safe gt3 killing 996 track car? Just a thought?