Sponsored by:

GT3 Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Apx2Apx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Swaybar

After having the Cross/JIC setup for a few weeks and three weekends at Willow Springs I think it's time to run a stiffer bar on the car...

After doing some DD it seems that the Gt3 Swaybars are the best choice for my 02' Targa. With that said I am looking for the best shop/retailer to purchase the sway bars from.. I've looked at Gert's price and they seem reasonable, but as the track bug bites I would like to order these here in the states so that shipping times are much faster.

Can anyone suggest where I can order a set of bars before X-mas . Besides the OEM GT3 bars, are there other race type of bars that will fit my application?

BTW, What other parts are needed in order to make the Gt3 bars fit.. I've read that drop links need to be added costing around $1000 for just the parts.. Can anyone shed some light on this topic..

Thank you in advance
DN.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW

I doubt that any US dealer has these parts in stock. They will have to be ordered from Atlanta, or wherever PCNA has their parts depot. I doubt that you will get them any quicker than ordering from Gert. I've order things from him on Monday, and had them on my doorstep on Thursday. Give him a call to see if he has them in stock, and handle the transaction by phone. I can get a clutch from Gert faster than my dealer can get a ball cap from Porsche.

Cheers,
Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lindsey Racing advertises that they have these parts. Do a web search to find their phone number and web site. Check out the H&R bars as they are the same size as the GT3 bars. They cost alot less and comes with the end links which are very expensive for the motorsports ones. Performance Products carry them as will other H&R retailers like Tirerack will. I think the set will cost under $600. Also check out The Racers Group makes a their own bars that are comparable to the GT3, however I think the price are about the same as the GT3.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

I had to order mine through my dealer and still waiting... the problem is not the front/rear bars but some damn bushings you need to use to install them... go figure...

Old 12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
fahren affair
Pro

as ed pointed out, trg has their own 'bars and factory 'bars:
http://www.theracersgroup.com/
Old 12-02-2004, 06:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H&R's aren't the same hole wise nor I believe size wise. Gerts shipping is usually superior to most anyone else. I usually recieve things from him in 3 days as long as he has the parts in stock which for the bars he should. For the droplinks you need to either modify, i.e. cut and reweld the front ones 15mm or buy the trg ones like I did that are about 400 bucks. That said I dig the bars. I had them 1 from stiff at the beginning and it was just wayy too stiff for a daily driver with canyons on the weekends. I am now running full soft f and 1 from full soft rear. The balance is perfect. The ride is nice also.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 PM
AnnoM3
Track Day

I can't seem to find a definitive answer about the endlinks for the GT3 sways in our cars.
I have a 99 C2 with the H&R coilovers. I ordered the sways from my local dealer and I too was expecting a long lead time for delivery as that is what they indicated. To my shock I received the bars along with the mounting hardware in 2 weeks.
Anyways back to my question, can I or can i not use the stock endlinks with my GT3 sways? My dealer said it wasn't necessary, yet alot of the posts on here say I do need to get custom endlinks. Can someone who has done this mod explain to me what the change is that requires different end links?
If I go with the TRG endlinks, can you tell me why they are so expensive? The TRG endlinks will almost cost me the same amount as my sways.
Arnold
Newish 996 owner, former 986 owner
Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 PM
SPR
Drifting

The front links must be 15mm shorter for adjusting etc. The trg links are more because they use rod ends that are pretty heavy duty. The simply fix is to do channel 15 out of half of each end after cut in half and reweld. I believe it needs to be shortened either 15mm or 30mm, but I forgot which.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
AnnoM3
Track Day

Sean, thanks for the response.

Do you feel that there is any weakening of the end links by cutting them and rewelding?

What do you think about shortening the stock end links and threading them so that you can have adjustability for length for the different settings on the bar.

Another question, can we not also get the endlink from the GT3 to use?

Sorry for all the questions
Arnold
Old 12-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Apx2Apx
Track Day

Thanks for all the detailed responses... Now the question is, has anyone ran either the H&r, TRG and the Gt3 setup and what are the differnces.. There are two different types on the TRG website.. One looks like the OEM type with the standard bends while the other has what looks like blue anodized aluminum work of art...

Now the can of worms are just opening...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 PM
SPR
Drifting

I have the blue anodized trg ones as I didn't know anyone to cut and modify mine at the time, and I was worried about them breaking, the way I drive. A friend of mine has them cut and rewelded and drives just as hard as I do and there seems to be no problems. That half cut technique was told to me by GERT and gives the strongest result. My friends btw is not cut this way. Basially if the person is a competent welder and does and uses the right stuff I don't see it as being a problem.
As I did everything at once, pss9's and gt3 bars I couldn't tell you the difference in just the bars that way. However I did experiment with all the settings and there is a huge range of adjustability that the bars offer.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:10 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

I just came back from the dealer. No go for the sway bars I ordered...

There are the part numbers that they ordered:

99634370190 Rear
99633370190 Front

Which are supposed to be the GT3's. I was with my mechanic when he was seeing if they would work and the rear does not fit the form of the engine.

SPR, are these the part you had to cut and welded?

I guess I am a little comfused now.. are there any kits (H&R?) you can install without modifying the bars?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

the gt3 ones don't work as is I had a parts guy measure them, they're the same length. You have to cut or weld them or get the trg links. I actually did a write up of this exact issue in the archives a while ago.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Thx SPR... if you have to get that crafty I think I rather go for the H&Rs...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the H&R kits came out the only choice is the GT3 bars. The M030 bars are only about 10-15% stiffer than stock. The standsrd suspension were 23mm front and 18.5mm rear. The M030 were 23.6 and 19.6. The GT3 are 26.8 and 20.7. There is an adjustable drop link from Porsche, but it is expensive like the TRG units. H&R bars are 26 and 23, but SPR is right the front is not adjustable. I think the H&R will handle just as good as the GT3 bars for 90% of the drivers. In order to really get the most out of the bars you really have to know how to drive and most of us weekend warriors will never be able to drive 10/10. So for the money the H&R is a good value.

Quick Reply: GT3 Swaybar